[comp.sys.apple2] Identify a ProDOS disk?

cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson [Animal]) (01/10/91)

How is it possible to identify a ProDOS disk?  I'm looking for a magic
number of some sorts, someplace, anywhere.

Ideally, it'd be a magic number someplace near the front.  I'm into dealing
with disks as data streams at the moment...

Hep Me!

--Chan

Chan Wilson                                  Chief Hard-Question Answer Person
SRI Intl. Network Information Systems Center
333 Ravenswood Ave., EJ287			Internet: cwilson@nisc.sri.com
Menlo Park, CA., 94025				Phone: (415)859-4492
    "If I want to be a surfer this month, I bloody well will be."

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (01/28/91)

In article <25235@fs1.NISC.SRI.COM> cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson [Animal]) writes:
>How is it possible to identify a ProDOS disk?  I'm looking for a magic
>number of some sorts, someplace, anywhere.
>
>Ideally, it'd be a magic number someplace near the front.  I'm into dealing
>with disks as data streams at the moment...
>
>Hep Me!
>
>--Chan
>
>Chan Wilson                                  Chief Hard-Question Answer Person
>SRI Intl. Network Information Systems Center
>333 Ravenswood Ave., EJ287			Internet: cwilson@nisc.sri.com
>Menlo Park, CA., 94025				Phone: (415)859-4492
>    "If I want to be a surfer this month, I bloody well will be."

Try verifying the sanity of the image of block 2.  If it's ProDOS, you
will have a zero backward link to the previous directory block, a disk
name in the form $Fx + X characters + $00s filling the remainder of the
16 byte field (counting the length byte); the characters in the name will
all be upper-case A-Z, 0-9, and period (lowercase characters in the name
are flagged separately).
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II System Software Engineer         |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

gvrod@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (R Eldridge, VAX Systems) (01/28/91)

In article <25235@fs1.NISC.SRI.COM> cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson [Animal]) writes:
>How is it possible to identify a ProDOS disk?  I'm looking for a magic
>number of some sorts, someplace, anywhere.
>
>Ideally, it'd be a magic number someplace near the front.  I'm into dealing
>with disks as data streams at the moment...
>
>Hep Me!
>
>--Chan
>
>Chan Wilson                                  Chief Hard-Question Answer Person
SRI Intl. Network Information Systems Center
>333 Ravenswood Ave., EJ287			Internet: cwilson@nisc.sri.com
>Menlo Park, CA., 94025				Phone: (415)859-4492
>    "If I want to be a surfer this month, I bloody well will be."

how about just calling the ON_LINE function for the device. according to
the prodos-8 technical reference manual, ON_LINE can return error number
$52 (not a prodos disk)
rod eldridge                     gvrod@isuvax.bitnet
vax systems                      gvrod@isuvax.iastate.edu
iowa state university