[comp.sys.apple2] MIDI Librarian Project

v097pba8@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Ken F Morton) (01/23/91)

     I have seen both SysExGS and SynthLab and both are not satisfactory for
my needs.  They cannot be used to edit or rearrange MIDI sysex data.  This
capability is essential for my needs.
	Ok so this is it:
		Looking through _Inside_the_Apple_IIGS_ by Gary Bond, there are
some serial port commands available through Basic, along with a crude terminal
program.  All I need to do is read the serial port into a file from a basic
program.  However, MIDI is specified as 1 start bit/8 data bits/1 Stop bit.
Not being as knowledgable as I would like about Apple data formats, and not
seeing an option for a start bit in the serial port setups I do not know what
happens to the start bit.  I will call Opcode systems today (I have their MIDI
interface) to find out if their interface changes the data format of the code
as well as the baud rate.  As MIDI operated at 31.25 (Off the top of my head)
and the apple doesn't play that the interface must change that.  Anyway once
I find that out I'll see what's possible.
	What I need to know is if BASIC will allow reliable reading of a high
baud rate.  I also need help on storing the data from the port and also
modifing it.  I assume it will be binary.
	I'll try to be more coherent next time when I organize myself a bit
more.

						Later....

						Ken Morton
						V097pba8@ubvmsd.cc.buffal.edu

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (01/24/91)

v097pba8@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Ken F Morton) writes:

> However, MIDI is specified as 1 start bit/8 data bits/1 Stop bit.

This is kosher. EVERYBODY uses 1 start bit; it's assumed. MIDI is simply 8N1
serial communications at 31 Kbaud. Apple's MIDI interface is simple isolation
and buffering -- the serial chip on the GS motherboard is quite capable of
doing 31 Kbaud.

>	What I need to know is if BASIC will allow reliable reading of a high
>baud rate.  I also need help on storing the data from the port and also
>modifing it.  I assume it will be binary.

BASIC will be too slow to do anything on the character level that's for sure.
You'll need ML routines just to send and receive the data.

It is most definately binary. I recommend you get your hands on the MIDI spec
before pursuing this too much further.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

awillis@pro-angmar.UUCP (Albert Willis) (01/29/91)

I would suggest that you get the documentation to MIDI Synth (and the demo
app, SynthLAB) before trying to do something in Basic.

Give APDA a call at 1-800-282-APDA for information on joining, since you must
be a member to buy MIDI Synth.

For the record, MIDI Synth, amoung other things, supports MIDI sequencing very
well.

Albert Willis
INET:  pro-angmar!awillis@alphalpha.com          | America Online: BCS Al
UUCP:..!uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!awillis       | GEnie: A.Willis