[comp.sys.apple2] .bsq

eldorado@en.ecn.purdue.edu (David D Jansen) (01/14/91)

Could someone tell me what uncompressor to use on .bsq files?  Email
directly to me.  Thanks.

Dave

--

I am not really here.
Dave Jansen             |  INTERNET:  eldorado@en.ecn.purdue.edu

THINGVOL@LAX.WISC.EDU (01/23/91)

Why don't Binscii files end in .bnc instead of .bsq??

ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/24/91)

In article <21012302510654@lax.wisc.edu> THINGVOL@LAX.WISC.EDU writes:
>Why don't Binscii files end in .bnc instead of .bsq??

Nobody knows... actually Binscii files end in .bsc. Binscii'd shrunk files
end in .bsq. As I had commented a few months ago, I would have thought that
Binscii'd shrunk files would end in .bsk (.bsc + .shk = .bsk, right?)

Also, people seem to stick with 3 letter extensions. It's not like we're
in the MSDOS world, right?

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Tootsie
Pop?

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu        |     "My ganglion is stuck in

In article <43014@ut-emx.uucp> ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:
>Also, people seem to stick with 3 letter extensions. It's not like we're
>in the MSDOS world, right?
	Well, even with actual filetypes, it's so much easier to
know EXACTLY what a file is for, since text files can be used for many
purposes...
	I do it on UNIX too.

>How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Tootsie
>Pop?

	"Tell me, Mr Owl, how many licks does it take to get to the center
of a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop?"
	"Let's find out... a one, a two, a three.. CCCCRRRUUNNCH.. {something
like} Three licks.. It takes 3 licks to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll
Tootsie Pop".
	"sigh"

	(announcer)  The world may never know..

	Does this show that I spent my youth watching too much TV? (that
I continue to watch too much of now!)
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. /

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (01/24/91)

You use three letter extensions under Unix?  The only time I have those is if
it's something I FTPed, and it came that way.  Normally, I just organize stuff
into lots of directories.  Also, every now and then, I'll make a file with a
really long name, so I don't get tempted to delete it.  For instance, there's
one there now called:

"Really really super duper important mail from Becca" -- that's my sister.
Anyway, I don't erase things like that accidentally, and it's pretty obvious
that it contains important mail.

Oh, and about the Tootsie-Roll thing... No, it doesn't show that you watch to
much T.V.;  It shows that you _USED_ to watch to much T.V., or that you watch
too much OLD stuff, since I haven't seen that commercial for a year or two.
By the way, your quote was off a bit near the end.

- Andrew.

P.S.  No smileys!

In article <91023.173757AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET> AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET writes:

>You use three letter extensions under Unix?  The only time I have those is if
	Well, not ALWAYS, but sometimes... Especially with ftped stuff
as you mentioned.. like *.gif and *.SHK, etc..

>Oh, and about the Tootsie-Roll thing... No, it doesn't show that you watch to
>By the way, your quote was off a bit near the end.

	Ok then Mr. Smarty Pants, how DOES it go?
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. /

SHBOUM@MACALSTR.EDU (01/24/91)

	Actually, for the NeXTs which is UNIX based, the filetype of the file
is determined by the .extension. So if I have a .gif file I get the gif icon
for the file and am able to launch the gif program and open the file by double
clicking on it. However, if I take that same file and call it *.txt, I can
launch it as a text file {which would also make it useless unless you're into
changing LZW compression files manually}. But extentions do play an important
role sometimes even in Unix.

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (01/24/91)

From THINGVOL@LAX.WISC.EDU:

> Why don't Binscii files end in .bnc instead of .bsq??

    Because .bsq files are SQuuezed files using the SQ/USQ algorithm developed
by Don Elton (Dean Elton?  Elton John?  Anyway...)  I always labelled Binscii
files with a .bsc extension.

Brian T. Tao  {taob@pnet91.cts.com} ||  Computer guru?  Someone who got
University of Metro Toronto         ||  their computer a couple of weeks
Scarberia, ON, MIC 3A8         *B-) ||  before you did.  (Alvin Toffler)

cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson [Animal]) (01/25/91)

THINGVOL@LAX.WISC.EDU writes:

>Why don't Binscii files end in .bnc instead of .bsq??

'Cuz .bsq stands for a BinScii'd Shrinkit'ed or Squeezed archive.
A plain jane binscii file has a .bsc suffix.

To wit, from the README file at wuarchive.wustl.edu:

			  Guide to suffixes
			  -----------------

	.tar		Tape ARchive. Unix; use tar tvf <filename> to view
			contents, tar xvf <filename> to extract

	.Z		Compressed. Unix; use uncompress <filename> to
			uncompress

	.bny	 	Binary ][ File. Apple II; shouldn't be any here.

	.bqy		Squeezed or Shrinkit archive. Apple II; use
			Shrinkit to extract.

	.bsq		Squeezed or Shrinkit archive that has been
			BinSciied. Apple II; use BinScii

	.bsc		BinSciied file. Apple II; use BinScii

IMPORTANT!!
-----------
To be on the safe side, use binary mode when transfering files. Type
'bin' at ftp> prompt.

Note that you can use unbit, unexec, sciibin, and nulib to manipulate these
files on Unix systems; strongly recommended.

--Chan
    Chan Wilson -- cwilson@nisc.sri.com <!> I don't speak for SRI.
Janitor/Architect of comp.binaries.apple2 archive on wuarchive.wustl.edu
			      "a2fx it!"

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/25/91)

In article <398@generic.UUCP> taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) writes:
>From THINGVOL@LAX.WISC.EDU:
>
>> Why don't Binscii files end in .bnc instead of .bsq??
>
>    Because .bsq files are SQuuezed files using the SQ/USQ algorithm developed
>by Don Elton (Dean Elton?  Elton John?  Anyway...)  I always labelled Binscii
>files with a .bsc extension.

Well, .bsq files are now Binscii'd Shrunk files. Perhaps they used to be
BinScii'd BLU files.

>Brian T. Tao  {taob@pnet91.cts.com} ||  Computer guru?  Someone who got
>University of Metro Toronto         ||  their computer a couple of weeks
>Scarberia, ON, MIC 3A8         *B-) ||  before you did.  (Alvin Toffler)

BTW, my email address has changed..
It's now daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

--

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (01/29/91)

... unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>... AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET writes:

>>Oh, and about the Tootsie-Roll thing... your quote was off a bit near
>>the end.

>	Ok then Mr. Smarty Pants, how DOES it go?

Owl: "Let's find out... a one, a two-hoo, a three, CRUNCH.  A three."

Ann: "How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie-Roll center of a
      Tootsie-Pop?  CRUNCH!  The world may never know."

>--
>/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
>\WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. /

Now maybe we can get on some other topic?

--
///   ____   \\\ Lig Lury Jr. (greg@hoss.unl.edu)
| |/ /    \ \| | Megadodo Publications
 \\_( \==/ )_//  Megadodo House