[comp.sys.apple2] ProTerm bashing

swiers@plains.NoDak.edu (Mike Swiers ) (01/18/91)

Now I remember why I hate ProTerm so much!  I hadn't used it since the beta
Kermit 3.87 came out, but tody I needed to used the scrollback and yep,
ProTerm still drops chars all over the place...Krmit nevver does!

Mike

P.S.  TWGS 7Mhz, System 5.0.4, 9600 BPS to my Sun, 2400 BPS out.

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (01/20/91)

In <7616@plains.NoDak.edu> swiers@plains.NoDak.edu (Mike Swiers ) writes:

>Now I remember why I hate ProTerm so much!  I hadn't used it since the beta
>Kermit 3.87 came out, but tody I needed to used the scrollback and yep,
>ProTerm still drops chars all over the place...Krmit nevver does!

I've never had problems with losing characters from ProTERM.  Lines yes,
characters no.  Line loss tends to occur when I am online with no top bar,
accessing scrollback.  Another major annoyance is doing an ASCII Send
without the top bar.  It likes to recreate that bar for each line sent,
leaving a track of inversed characters in my scrollback, and then
restoring the wrong line in place of the insistent top bar.  That is a
definite bug.

Only other line-loss problem I had was with vt100 emulation, but that was
in v2.1 due to the 80th column problem.

>Mike

>P.S.  TWGS 7Mhz, System 5.0.4, 9600 BPS to my Sun, 2400 BPS out.

Perhaps you don't have it configured properly.  All the people I have
heard say that they had problems with ProTERM losing characters (in the
Control Panel even) are using GS/OS.  I don't use GS/OS (no hard drive, so
why bother with it) and haven't had any problems like that.

However I have noticed it suddenly slowing down for no apparent reason at
the main menu, and seeing the clock skip some seconds, but this may be
indicative of the problems I have had with the connection to my keyboard.
(Damn frustrating to discover you can't even hit control-reset.)

--
   ///   ____   \\\
   | |/ /    \ \| |    greg@hoss.unl.edu
    \\_( \==/ )_//     Lig Lury Jr.
        \__\\/

mock@iris.ucdavis.edu (Kenrick J. Mock) (01/20/91)

I've known some people to have character loss in ProTerm when they
launched it from GS/OS.  If they instead boot up directly into Prodos
8, and then run ProTerm, everything runs fine.  Might want to give it
a try if you are experiencing character loss problems.

Ken

    "When you make your mark in the world, watch out for guys with erasers."
      - Wall Street Journal.
GEnie : K.MOCK        Net : mock@iris.ucdavis.edu, mock@alderon.lanl.gov

In article <1991Jan19.194218.17939@hoss.unl.edu> greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) writes:
>I've never had problems with losing characters from ProTERM.  Lines yes,
>characters no.  Line loss tends to occur when I am online with no top bar,
>accessing scrollback.  Another major annoyance is doing an ASCII Send
>without the top bar.  It likes to recreate that bar for each line sent,
>leaving a track of inversed characters in my scrollback, and then
>restoring the wrong line in place of the insistent top bar.  That is a
>definite bug.

	The inverse line problem no longer exists in 2.2...

	You talk about losing lies when online with no top bar and
accessing scrollback..

	So you mean you're losing INCOMING data?? If so, -of course-
you're going to lose some data as you're in scrollback and Proterm's not
accessing the serial port!
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. /

khorster@pro-graphics.cts.com (Karl Horster) (01/22/91)

        I have heard a lot of problems about Proterm and GS/OS.  It's really
not worth booting up the finder to launch Proterm.  Stick on a 5.25 and your
up and running in a minute or less.  I have been using Proterm for like 3
years now and love it.  Never had any problems whatsoever...

flee@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (FRANK LEE) (01/22/91)

Well, then, Proterm should have a larger interrupt-driven receive buffer!

INET: flee@gnh-applesauce.cts.com
UUCP: crash!pnet01!gnh-applesauce!flee
ARPA: crash!pnet01!gnh-applesauce!flee@nosc.mil

swiers@plains.NoDak.edu (Mike Swiers ) (01/22/91)

In article <7117@crash.cts.com> khorster@pro-graphics.cts.com (Karl Horster) writes:

>        I have heard a lot of problems about Proterm and GS/OS.  It's really
>not worth booting up the finder to launch Proterm.  Stick on a 5.25 and your
>up and running in a minute or less.  I have been using Proterm for like 3
>years now and love it.  Never had any problems whatsoever...

I suppose, if you can stand to have the 5.25" drive hooked up (I can't, and
yes, I do disable the drive...it just takes up too much space on my desk), and
the only reason you use your GS is to boot ProTerm...but then why not get a IIc
or something?  How 'bout just a terminal?  I'd say a vt100, but Unknown can't
understand why a person would use one, so I'll just say terminal in general.

Mike

P.S.  A terminal is about all I use my GS for these days as well, but I like
the desktop environment enough to go through it to get to Kermit v3.87
(with a fast SCSI drive, 4M, and DMA SCSI, and TWGS it's not so bad).

platkus@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Shawn W Platkus) (01/23/91)

In article <7117@crash.cts.com> khorster@pro-graphics.cts.com (Karl Horster) writes:

>        I have heard a lot of problems about Proterm and GS/OS.  It's really
>not worth booting up the finder to launch Proterm.  Stick on a 5.25 and your
>up and running in a minute or less.  I have been using Proterm for like 3
>years now and love it.  Never had any problems whatsoever...

I have GSOS 5.0.4, and I use ProTERM 2.2 all the time.  Yes, I launch
Proterm from the Finder.  I never have any problems with proterm crashing,
losing char, or vt100 emulation problems.  I remember reading an article
here about ProTERM losing char in the scroolback buffer, and something about
an inverted on flashing at the top.  Well, I know what you're talking about.
This happens when you use ProTERM with the status bar option ON and vt100
emulation.  Basically, vt100 uses that top line on the display where the
status bar is.  You should ALWAYS CHOOSE STATUS BAR OFF when doing vt100
emulation, and this problem won't happen.
	Also, I think we've heard enough proterm bashing.  All I have heard
So far is that Proterm crashes or looses too many char and sucks etc. etc.
Well, either quit this bickering or give some somewhat reproduceable instances
where ProTERM crashes or doesn't perform correctly.  If I can reproduce
the problems your having, maybe I could help correct the situation!

Platkus

swiers@plains.NoDak.edu (Mike Swiers ) (01/23/91)

In article <42913@ut-emx.uucp> ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:

>Why don't you put it under your 3.5? Unless your 5.25 is a DuoDisk, it doesn't
>take up that much more room.

Actually I put the IIgs on the floor and have my 3.5" drives under the monitor
via a IIc+ monitor stand (I think it works terribly well).

>David Huang                                 |
>Internet: ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu        |     "My ganglion is stuck in
>UUCP: ...!ut-emx!ccwf.cc.utexas.edu!ifar355 |      a piece of chewing gum!"
>America Online: DrWho29                     |

Mike

ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/23/91)

In article <7714@plains.NoDak.edu> swiers@plains.NoDak.edu (Mike Swiers ) writes:
|In article <42913@ut-emx.uucp> ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:
|>
|>Why don't you put it under your 3.5? Unless your 5.25 is a DuoDisk, it doesn't
|>take up that much more room.
|
|Actually I put the IIgs on the floor and have my 3.5" drives under the monitor
|via a IIc+ monitor stand (I think it works terribly well).
|
|Mike

Neat! I never thought of the Apple II as being a "put on the floor" type thing.
Only IBM's and Mac IIs are like that :-)

--

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (01/24/91)

>Neat! I never thought of the Apple II as being a "put on the floor" type thing

I put mine on the floor under my desk so the center frequency of the hard drive
fan doesn't bother me. The system saver is a lot quieter down there also and
in fact it works better because of the way I have my cards arranged.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

khorster@pro-graphics.cts.com (Karl Horster) (01/24/91)

        No that's not all I use the GS for...I also run a BBS which boots off
a 5.25 and then runs the stuff from the HD.  I find putting on a 5.25 much
easier, for switching pathnames and such, and easier for downloading if
youdon't have an HD so you can have a blank 3.5 in the drive without have to
switch disks.  ALl in all a 5.25 can save you alot of time and space...

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (01/24/91)

>         I have heard a lot of problems about Proterm and GS/OS.  It's
> really not worth booting up the finder to launch Proterm.  Stick on a
> 5.25 and your up and running in a minute or less.  I have been using
> Proterm for like 3 years now and love it.  Never had any problems
> whatsoever...

    I don't know about you, but when I turn on the GS, I usually don't know
what I will be doing for during the time it is on.  Since ProTerm 2.2 is one
of the few ProDOS 8 programs I use, I need GS/OS in the background.  If I just
boot into P8, I would have to reboot to use GS/OS.  Besides, my DA's, INIT's,
CDev's, etc. total up to about 1 meg, and I can boot GS/OS and run ProTerm in
about 40 seconds after flicking the power switch.  I love RAMFasts...

Brian T. Tao  {taob@pnet91.cts.com} ||  Computer guru?  Someone who got
University of Metro Toronto         ||  their computer a couple of weeks
Scarberia, ON, MIC 3A8         *B-) ||  before you did.  (Alvin Toffler)

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (01/26/91)

... platkus@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Shawn W Platkus) writes:

>I have GSOS 5.0.4, and I use ProTERM 2.2 all the time.  Yes, I launch
>Proterm from the Finder.  I never have any problems with proterm crashing,
>losing char, or vt100 emulation problems.  I remember reading an article
>here about ProTERM losing char in the scroolback buffer, and something about
>an inverted on flashing at the top.  Well, I know what you're talking about.
>This happens when you use ProTERM with the status bar option ON and vt100
>emulation.  Basically, vt100 uses that top line on the display where the
>status bar is.  You should ALWAYS CHOOSE STATUS BAR OFF when doing vt100
>emulation, and this problem won't happen.

Er, I know that happens, but that is not the problem being discussed.  Go
in vt100, status bar off, and do an ASCII send that causes the screen to
scroll.  THEN you will see what we're talking about there.

It is a bit silly that one can use vt100 with status bar on, when that
combination doesn't work.

>	Also, I think we've heard enough proterm bashing.  All I have heard
>So far is that Proterm crashes or looses too many char and sucks etc. etc.
>Well, either quit this bickering or give some somewhat reproduceable instances
>where ProTERM crashes or doesn't perform correctly.  If I can reproduce
>the problems your having, maybe I could help correct the situation!

The above situation should be simple enough.  I may have my gripes about
bugs, but it is still my preferred program, because what I have problems
with is in situations where it doesn't really matter that much to me.

--
///   ____   \\\ Lig Lury Jr. (greg@hoss.unl.edu)
| |/ /    \ \| | Megadodo Publications
 \\_( \==/ )_//  Megadodo House
     \__\\/      Ursa Minor

In <7182@crash.cts.com> khorster@pro-graphics.cts.com (Karl Horster) writes:

>        No that's not all I use the GS for...I also run a BBS which boots off
>a 5.25 and then runs the stuff from the HD.  I find putting on a 5.25 much
>easier, for switching pathnames and such, and easier for downloading if
>youdon't have an HD so you can have a blank 3.5 in the drive without have to
>switch disks.  ALl in all a 5.25 can save you alot of time and space...

[Reminds me one thing I hate about this NCSA Telnet I'm using right now.
I and l look identical.]

There is the problem of the 5.25" being not quite big enough to hold a
macro file for autologins, unless you expanded your disks to 40 tracks.  I
run mine on a 3.5".  I prefer having it installed in /RAM5, and executing
it via Bird's Better Bye after exiting Copy II Plus v8.2 (I hate v9.x).

--
///   ____   \\\ Lig Lury Jr. (greg@hoss.unl.edu)
| |/ /    \ \| | Megadodo Publications
 \\_( \==/ )_//  Megadodo House
     \__\\/      Ursa Minor

khorster@pro-graphics.cts.com (Karl Horster) (01/27/91)

        Well...I don't what I would be doing either, but it's mostly something
with Proterm calling some place or modifying my BBS, I boot off my 5.25
instead of slot 7 where my HD is, if I need GS/OS I'll do a pr#7, and work it
from there, and most of my programs are 3.5 based and I never really had any
need to switch them over to the HD...

        BTW Ramfasts are neat, but I have a Transwarp and the Old Apple SCSI
card and the Ramfast only beats me by 3 seconds in a bootup of GS/OS...

benji@euler.Berkeley.EDU (Benji Rudiak-Gould) (01/28/91)

In article <38540@cup.portal.com> -Rich-@cup.portal.com (Richard Sherman Payne) writes:

>	Just this morning, I found Shrinkit3.2, and started to download it.
>My scratch directory was nearly full, but I recalled having about 400 blocks
>free. It seems I was wrong. PT aborted the transfer with a "volume full"
>message, and mangled the directory. Prosel managed to extract the files, but
>will not fix the directory. I cannot delete it, and am going to have to
>read the Prosel manual to see what options I have.
>
>	But this is a BIG problem with PT. I am using PT2.2 and running
>GS/OS 5.04. It happened to me once before, but I only lost a floppy. Does
>anyone have any ideas on how to correct the mangled directory?

This same thing happened to me (disk full/mangled directory) except that I
was using Talk is Cheap.  So it seems that it may not be ProTerm's fault,
but a bug in ProDOS.  Has anyone else had problems with this, with
different communications software or even running some other type of
program?

Luckily in my case I had a backup of the trashed disk, so I didn't even
attempt to salvage what was left.  I did look at the volume directory,
though, and it seemed to have been totally overwritten.  The only way to
get it back would be to build it up from scratch.

--                       \\  I think, therefore I am.     |___|___| Disclaimer:
Benji Rudiak-Gould       //  I am, therefore I think.     |_|___|_|  Take with
benji@euler.berkeley.edu \\  Therefore, I think I am.     |___|___|  a grain
///////////////////////////  Therefore I am -- I think... |_|___|_|  of :-)

wjbaird@dahlia.uwaterloo.ca (Warren Baird) (01/28/91)

In article <10523@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> benji@euler.Berkeley.EDU (Benji Rudiak-Gould) writes:
>This same thing happened to me (disk full/mangled directory) except that I
>was using Talk is Cheap.  So it seems that it may not be ProTerm's fault,
>but a bug in ProDOS.  Has anyone else had problems with this, with
>different communications software or even running some other type of
>program?

I haven't had it happen to me using ProTerm, or any other comm
package, but I had a similar event happen to a data disk of mine...
About 5 years ago...  I was using a Prodos version of AppleWriter, and
I tried saving a short poem to disk...  It was short enough to only
require a single block on the disk, and for some reason ProdDos
decided to plop it right down in the middle of the directory track...

Fortunately, it was only a floppy, and I was able to reconstruct a
fair bit of the data, but it is possible that there are still a few
bugs floating around in ProDos....  I'm afraid that I can't give any
details, I'm not sure what version of Applewriter/Prodos I was using,
etc...

--
         Warren Baird, 2A Co-op Math Computer Science, U(Waterloo)
 wjbaird@dahlia.uwaterloo.ca ...utzoo!watmath.uwaterloo.edu!dahlia!wjbaird

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (01/29/91)

All these stories of prodos mangling directories reminds me of why
I regularly run directory analysis/bitmap checking utilities on my
3.5's. I've never had problems with 5.25's like this, but on 3.5's
it seems occasionally the bitmap can become corrupted (more occasionally
than on 5.25s). I don't see any reason why this should happen more
frequently, but it has.

Are there problems with older versions of prodos (1.0.1 or 1.1.1)
and other-than-5.25 drives? Of course I'd been using 1.8 almost
exclusively (now 1.9), but still it could be that rare time that
that rare bug in an old version popped up...