[comp.sys.apple2] Converting MacPaint file to something my GS can display

sharris@brahms.udel.edu (Scott A Harris) (01/26/91)

Hello again,
I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a program to convert MacPaint
files to something my GS can view.  Here at work we have a scanner and I
have been scanning some pictures to take home with me.  Any ideas
would be appreciated.  Thanks
Scott Harris

--
Scott A. Harris   sharris @ brahms.udel.edu   sharris @ chopin.udel.edu
                 HIO01142 @ udelvm.udel.edu

In article <18092@brahms.udel.edu> sharris@brahms.udel.edu (Scott A Harris) writes:
>I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a program to convert MacPaint
>files to something my GS can view.  Here at work we have a scanner and I
>have been scanning some pictures to take home with me.  Any ideas
>would be appreciated.  Thanks

	I think SHRConvert is your only GS specific option.. I think,
unlike GIFs, SHRConvert does a quick/good job of this..
	Just a guess, but I bet it only works with black & white
Macpaint files.. (Was Macpaint updated to work on the Mac IIs in color?!
I'd guess people'd use SuperPaint or something like that instead)

	There's MacDown, a ProDOS 8 program.. I think it's written by
Jason Harper also... It actually unconverts BinHex I think too!

--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. /

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (01/27/91)

My usual procedure with scanning images is to NOT save in MacPaint format if
you want to get the file off the Mac and onto a different machine. A better
procedure is to save as PICT and convert it to a GIF on the Mac and then decode
the GIF on your GS (with GIF3200 or LHG when I get it past 'slideshow' and
into 'converter').

Problem: if you are using AppleScan, the PICTs will be saved with scale info
so that if you didn't scan at 72 dpi, the mac programs will try to rescale
them so that they are the same size as the original, when we just want pixel
to pixel. What I've had to do with AppleScan is to save as TIFF, and read that
into NCSA Image, save as a PICT and then load the PICT into GIFfer. Bleah.

SHRConvert I believe can only handle B&W MacPaint files so if the MacPaint's
are color or gray scale then you are sort of forced to use a format other
than MacPaint for the conversion...

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (01/27/91)

>         Just a guess, but I bet it only works with black & white Macpaint
> files.. (Was Macpaint updated to work on the Mac IIs in color?! I'd guess
> people'd use SuperPaint or something like that instead)

    MacPaint is still B&W only.  Platinum Paint will also automatically load
MacPaint graphics and convert them on the fly.  Mac users tend to
extravagance, as indicated by their choice of $500 paint programs:  PixelPaint
Pro, Studio/8, Canvas 2.0, Graphist, etc...

Brian T. Tao  {taob@pnet91.cts.com} ||  Computer guru?  Someone who got
University of Metro Toronto         ||  their computer a couple of weeks
Scarberia, ON, MIC 3A8         *B-) ||  before you did.  (Alvin Toffler)

platkus@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Shawn W Platkus) (01/30/91)

Besides SHRConver, your choices are The Grafix Exchange, and Platinum Paint.

TGE exchange can read from mac disks directly, and can save files in macpaint
format.

With Platinum Paint, files must be converted to Prodos first.

Platkus.