[comp.sys.apple2] Finder problem

digdug@IASTATE.EDU ) (01/25/91)

Does anyone have trouble copying the Res.Manager(from system.setup dir
of the system disk) to other folders.  I get an error message that says
can't complete because a file is open.  This sometimes happens when I
try to copy the Finder too.

Also, what's the problem  when you get the error mesage thats saids'
Pathname too  long'.   This usally happens with my NDAs when it's trying
to load a file.

Later,
Doug

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (01/25/91)

digdug@IASTATE.EDU ) writes:

>Does anyone have trouble copying the Res.Manager(from system.setup dir
>of the system disk) to other folders.  I get an error message that says
>can't complete because a file is open.  This sometimes happens when I
>try to copy the Finder too.

Yes, it's because they're being referred to every so often. If you move them
out from under the system bad things happen.

However, there shouldn't be a problem with copying them, unless the system
is modifying them -- in which case copying is a bad idea anyway because the
file may not be intact at the moment you copy it. The error message about
the file being open is the system's way of telling you that it's not a good
idea to do the copy right then.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

llee@gnh-starport.cts.com (Larry Lee) (01/30/91)

You have trouble copying the finder because it opens itself and the resource
manager for use. While these files are open, you can't copy them, so you must
boot up with a different utility and copy the Finder with that.

| ProLine.: llee@gnh-starport           |                                    |
| UUCP....: crash!gnh-starport!llee     |   Yo Vanilla kick it one time,     |
| InterNet: llee@gnh-starport.cts.com   |        boooooyyyyyyyyy....         |
| AO .....: Please hold...              |                                    |