[comp.sys.apple2] For sale: -- GS system

Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU (01/25/91)

Well, not really, but I figured that the people who ignore these
messages through a newsreader won't care, and the people whose blood
starts to boil when they see a "For Sale" subject header will. :-)

There's been a lot of "For Sale" bashing lately, and it's wrong.
Just because half of this list reads it through comp.sys.apple2,
and has adequate access to usenet and the "For Sale" groups, it
doesn't address the needs of the other half of us (myself included)
who read it as info-apple.  Remember, this group is supported by
Apple.Com, which does the message forwarding between usenet and
the Internet.

I have nothing for sale at the current time, and don't need to
advertise anything to the members of this group.  But, if I did,
I would have no reluctance to posting a message through Info-Apple.
If by chance, some usenet people don't want to read it, then they
can delete it just by the subject header.  But, don't harp on the
rest of us who are using this resource in the best way that we can.

Remember: It's the Internet that forms the backbone of "Netland".
Proline and GNH-sites would have far more limited communications
links without ties into the 300,000 internet sites and gateways
to commercial systems like Applelink, MCI-Mail, Compuserve, et. al.

    Todd A. Bakal                                Coming soon:
    U of M Apple User's Group                       a new, improved
    Ann Arbor, Michigan                          tested, UN*X archive

    Internet: Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu            FTP: ummts.cc.umich.edu
    BITnet:   UserTBKL@UMICHUB                        35.1.1.43
    UUCP: ...!uunet!ub.cc.umich.edu!tabakal           CD PC5:

scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Henderson) (01/25/91)

In article <7355297@ub.cc.umich.edu> Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU writes:
>Well, not really, but I figured that the people who ignore these
>messages through a newsreader won't care, and the people whose blood
>starts to boil when they see a "For Sale" subject header will. :-)
>
>There's been a lot of "For Sale" bashing lately, and it's wrong.
>Just because half of this list reads it through comp.sys.apple2,
>and has adequate access to usenet and the "For Sale" groups, it
>doesn't address the needs of the other half of us (myself included)
>who read it as info-apple.  Remember, this group is supported by
>Apple.Com, which does the message forwarding between usenet and
>the Internet.

I agree.  If it weren't for far sale messages on comp.sys.apple2, I
wouldn't have an Apple ][GS right now.  I enjoy reading the for sale
messages in this group.  I feel that their is a broad range of
discussion in this group.  Those I don't care for can be killed.  I'm
glad I wasn't the only one bothered about the anti-For Sale on
comp.sys.apple2 messages.

--
=  R. Scott Henderson		       =  "Some people claim that there's a  =
=  University of Illinois              =   woman to blame, but I know it's   =

stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Anthony J. Stuckey) (01/25/91)

scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Henderson) writes:

>I agree.  If it weren't for far sale messages on comp.sys.apple2, I
>wouldn't have an Apple ][GS right now.  I enjoy reading the for sale
>messages in this group.  I feel that their is a broad range of
>discussion in this group.  Those I don't care for can be killed.  I'm
>glad I wasn't the only one bothered about the anti-For Sale on
>comp.sys.apple2 messages.
//////////

The way I see it, there is Comp.sys.apple2 for relevant apple2 discussions
  and misc.forsale.computers for relevant forsale discussions.  I
  personally would not post a forsale note to this group.  In my case,
  it's uncalled for.
As was noted a couple of posts back, some people do not have access
  to the misc.* groups, or use various odd methods of reading
  comp.sys.apple2 which make it a logical (only ?) choice for such
  postings.  They don't bother me.

Anthony J. Stuckey
stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (01/25/91)

I personally like seeing for sale ads here, since I don't really
read the forsale groups since I am not particularly looking to buy,
however once in a while something will come up that I am interested
in that I might have missed were it not posted. As long as it fits
the group (no mac stuff, for example), I have no complaint.

Whether or not ads are against a charter of any group or the policy of
any particular site, I don't see how anyone can complain about
non-commercial posts along the lines of "I have xxx that I am wanting
to sell. Please send me e-mail for more info." Well, I guess you can
complain if you say that strictly speaking it is an ad, but
if there is no profit involved, what's the big deal? Please, nothing
about the ENORMOUS cost of transmitting one person's one-line
ad all over the world, since it is a TINY percentage of even just
this group's traffic... let's see, 100 bytes at 300 baud (worst case)...
takes 2.6 seconds to transmit, at about 25 cents per minute that's...
1.08 cents max for one site to transmit it to another, and
assuming 100 people per site I'd say that on average each
person who ever pays a cent toward usenet traffic pays .01 cents.
hmm, a small portion of the total message traffic costs (I'm ignoring
overhead like electricity, storage, hardware costs because these
are just that, overhead, and will be paid regardless of whether
or not that one message is sent).

And consider, this little discussion has cost more than your
average for sale message and is worth a small fraction of what
the average for sale message is worth. Go figure.

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (01/26/91)

In article <7355297@ub.cc.umich.edu> Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU writes:
>Remember: It's the Internet that forms the backbone of "Netland".

Yes, remember that.  Also remember that most of the Internet is
provided at public expense as a technical resource.  Commercial
abuse can result in the plug being pulled.

Even if that were not a concern, it is utterly unethical to
exploit a technical newsgroup for personal profit.  When you
consider that distribution of a "for sale" notice in this group
has an aggregate cost that in some cases exceeds the total value
of the items being sold, it should be clear that it is not a
proper use of this resource.  Only poor citizens who don't care
about the effects of their actions on others would do such a thing.

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (01/26/91)

This is to support the posting of Apple // specific 'for sale' postings
on this newsgroup. Frankly, I am sick of 'net nazis' although I agree with
their message. Everyone has been very civil about reminding us that the
usenet does have an intended organization and that violating this
organization can have effects which none of us want.

However, the only for sale postings I am interested in are apple equipment,
and there's so much other stuff on the for sale groups that I unsubscribed
to them. If these people only posted to the for sale groups, I would not see
them and would never have the opportunity to purchase their stuff (as I just
bought Keith Frederick's copy of Genesys because I saw it here). I believe
that I am not alone in this.

I agree that the newsgroup hierarchy should be respected. I quite agree that
binaries and source code belong in their own groups, because their traffic,
volume, and interest warrants it. However, under the circumstances the net
(and more importantly, the people who use it) is far better served by moving
apple specific for sale postings to the apple specific discussion group
(i.e. comp.sys.apple2).

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (01/27/91)

In article <1991Jan26.050014.7102@nntp-server.caltech.edu> toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>apple specific for sale postings to the apple specific discussion group
>(i.e. comp.sys.apple2).

No!  The only reason the "for sale" volume has been at all tolerable is
that such posters tend to get jumped on, and most readers of the group
understand and honor the prohibition.  What you SHOULD suggest is that
a separate newsgroup be set up specifically for Apple II merchandising.
Then those who want to see such postings could add that group to their
reading, assuming that their site and network permits such traffic (if
not, the separation would help in enforcing the management policies).

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan24.191417.10278@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Henderson) writes:

[support for "for sale" messages...]

I agree that there doesn't seem to be anything terribly wrong with
these occasional postings at first glance. The problem, though, is
that many of us could have comp.sys.apple2 deleted from our
newsgroups because of them. You can't imagine what I had to go
through to convince people to bring it into our system. I would
not want to defend the group again in the face of lot's of AppleII
for sale signs.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[not the opinions of my employer, necessarily]

lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com (Laer Haider) (01/30/91)

>In article <1991Jan26.050014.7102@nntp-server.caltech.edu>
>toddpw@nntp-server.ca
>ltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>>apple specific for sale postings to the apple specific discussion group
>>(i.e. comp.sys.apple2).
>
>No!  The only reason the "for sale" volume has been at all tolerable is
>that such posters tend to get jumped on, and most readers of the group
>understand and honor the prohibition.  What you SHOULD suggest is that
>a separate newsgroup be set up specifically for Apple II merchandising.
>Then those who want to see such postings could add that group to their
>reading, assuming that their site and network permits such traffic (if
>not, the separation would help in enforcing the management policies).

That's not a practical solution either, IMHO.  There really isn't enough
traffic of that sort to support its own discussion group; and such a
group would miss a lot of readers of comp.sys.apple2 that don't receive
other news feeds.  Your main gripe is about bandwidth.  How is a new
newsgroup going to reduce the bandwidth used in UseNet?  It'll receive
the same postings you get here!

I like to see the for sale items.  If you don't, why don't you skip them!
I recognize your point.  I just don't agree with it.  And, quit ATTACKING
people for such simple posts.  Simply informing them will suffice.

[donning flame retardant suit]
Send flames to lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com
See, I don't get all the newsgroups at this ProLine site, and there are
many others like me.
                /    _______________________________________________
 \             / /   ProLine:  pro-beagle!lhaider
  \\\' ,      / //      INET:  lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com
   \\\//,   _/ //,      UUCP:  crash!pro-beagle!lhaider
    \_-//' /  //<,      ARPA:  crash!pro-beagle!lhaider@nosc.mil
      \ ///  <//`
      /  >>  \\\`__/_   The opinions expressed here belong to nobody!
     /,)-^>>_\`, \\\    (Anybody see nobody lately?)
     (/   \\ /\\\     -----------------------------------------------
         // _//\\\\
       ((` ((

scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Henderson) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan29.235150.16185@utstat.uucp> philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:
>In article <1991Jan24.191417.10278@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Henderson) writes:
>
>[support for "for sale" messages...]
>
>I agree that there doesn't seem to be anything terribly wrong with
>these occasional postings at first glance. The problem, though, is
>that many of us could have comp.sys.apple2 deleted from our
>newsgroups because of them. You can't imagine what I had to go
>through to convince people to bring it into our system. I would
>not want to defend the group again in the face of lot's of AppleII
>for sale signs.
>
>Philip McDunnough
>University of Toronto
>philip@utstat.toronto.edu
>[not the opinions of my employer, necessarily]

Here's my suggestion for a reasonable compromise.  As a method of convention,
people who post for sale messages should have "FOR SALE" in the subject
heading.  You can then use the "K" command from read news and not have to
see the for sale post.  Your argument about comp.sys.apple2 being a research
newsgroup is a valid one, however the same argument can be made about people
who ask questions about video games on this group (does the question about
Dragon Wars ring a bell? :-) ).  There's a rec.games.video newsgroup for
that purpose as well.