[comp.sys.apple2] ftp help

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) (12/11/90)

Ummm...I'm kinda new to FTP'ing.  on the system I use, I FTP'ed a file.  Now,
where is it and how can I send it to my machine at home????  BTW, the machine
is SUVM if that help.s :)

Mark

[ Mark Steiger, Sysop, The Igloo 218/262-3142  300/1200/2400/9600 (HST/Dual)]

ProLine.:penguin@gnh-igloo                          America Online: Goalie5
UUCP....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin                    MCI Mail......: MSteiger
Internet:penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com

xcg14@ccvax.iastate.edu (01/30/91)

I have a question:

I have tried to receive program over FTP sites lately and 6 out of 10
times I get an CRC error when I unshrink the program.  What am I doing
wrong?  This is what I do:

	1. FTP site
	2. set mode to ascii if it is a binscii program
	   set mode to binary (image) if it is shrinkit or other.
	3. using proterm 2.1 I transfer the program with Kermit protocol
	   at 2400 baud to my Apple IIGS.
	4. If it is binscii I use GSCII NDA or 8-bit program (both seem to
	   (work) to turn it into a shrinkit file.
	5.  Use shrinkit, runs a while then says CRC error or something
	    like that.

Can I assume that I am doing everthing right?  Are these program posted
corrupted.  Or am I doing something wrong.  I have also tried doing the
equivalent on a mac with not much better luck.   Do I need to set the
FTP up different.  I am on a VAX VMS computer and useally if it is
binscii format just leave it default to mode ascii.

The help would be appreciated,  please reply to xcg14@ccvax.iastate.edu
thanks,
Jon

meekins@frigate.cis.ohio-state.edu (timothy lee meekins) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan29.204838.1@ccvax.iastate.edu> xcg14@ccvax.iastate.edu writes:
>I have a question:
>
>I have tried to receive program over FTP sites lately and 6 out of 10
>times I get an CRC error when I unshrink the program.  What am I doing
>wrong?  This is what I do:
>
>	1. FTP site
>	2. set mode to ascii if it is a binscii program
>	   set mode to binary (image) if it is shrinkit or other.

Good, a lot of people don't do this and get into trouble.

>	3. using proterm 2.1 I transfer the program with Kermit protocol
>	   at 2400 baud to my Apple IIGS.

Aha, this probably won't work if the file isn't text. You'll have to use
Kermit-65 3.87, type set file-type binary and on the Unix side to a set file
type binary (w/o a dash). This is all needed if want to transfer binary (8-bit)
files using Kermit. If you don't, it will still transfer with no errors, but
all of the eigth bits will be corrupted.

>	4. If it is binscii I use GSCII NDA or 8-bit program (both seem to
>	   (work) to turn it into a shrinkit file.

Hmm. Binscii, worked though? Strange.

>	5.  Use shrinkit, runs a while then says CRC error or something
>	    like that.

If Binscii worked, then most likely the shrinkit file got corrupted somewhere.
There probably isn't anything you can do about this, except to tell the poster
to fix it.

--
|/ Tim Meekins                  <<>> Snail Mail:           <<>>  Apple II  \|