[comp.sys.apple2] GS on the floor

swiers@plains.NoDak.edu (Mike Swiers ) (01/24/91)

+>|>Why don't you put it under your 3.5? Unless your 5.25 is a DuoDisk, it doesn't
+>|>take up that much more room.
+>|
+>|Actually I put the IIgs on the floor and have my 3.5" drives under the monitor
+>|via a IIc+ monitor stand (I think it works terribly well).
+>|
+>|Mike
+>
+>Neat! I never thought of the Apple II as being a "put on the floor" type thing.
+>Only IBM's and Mac IIs are like that :-)
+>
I went and bought the Mac II cable set to do it, but it turns out the way I
have it set up it just barely makes it.  Works slick as hell too, with my
Sun on the floor as well, it leaves more room for monitors, keyboards, and
mice on the desk (mice take up too much space).  As you'll prolly agree, now
the Apple 5.25" drive simply takes up too much space.  Anyone in the market
for one?

Mike

!!!! (sorry, this will be the last time I do that)

ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/25/91)

In article <7736@plains.NoDak.edu> swiers@plains.NoDak.edu (Mike Swiers ) writes:
|+>|Actually I put the IIgs on the floor and have my 3.5" drives under the monitor
|+>|via a IIc+ monitor stand (I think it works terribly well).
|+>|
|+>|Mike
|+>
|+>Neat! I never thought of the Apple II as being a "put on the floor" type thing.
|+>Only IBM's and Mac IIs are like that :-)
|+>
|I went and bought the Mac II cable set to do it, but it turns out the way I
|have it set up it just barely makes it.  Works slick as hell too, with my
|Sun on the floor as well, it leaves more room for monitors, keyboards, and
|mice on the desk (mice take up too much space).  As you'll prolly agree, now
|the Apple 5.25" drive simply takes up too much space.  Anyone in the market
|for one?
|
|Mike

Yeah, I guess a 5.25 would take up too much space...

[ large quantities of filler deleted ]

BTW, if you changed your quote character (which it seems that you did), the
news server should take your posting...

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu        |     "My ganglion is stuck in

mcgu5464@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Ronald J Mcguire) (01/25/91)

In article <7736@plains.NoDak.edu> swiers@plains.NoDak.edu (Mike Swiers ) writes:
>+>|Actually I put the IIgs on the floor and have my 3.5" drives under the monitor
>+>|via a IIc+ monitor stand (I think it works terribly well).

Well, rather than put it on the floor, I put it under my desk on the first
shelf. I cut away an access hole behind the desk, hooked up the red LED to
my Vulcan and ran it next to the green power light (which I had to cover
with white out to dim it a bit). All that sticks out is a tiny bar with a
green, sometimes red, light 5 inches below the desk, not on the floor.
The power bar I also mounted on the inside back of the desk so I could
"kick-it" on. (Kick on... Kick off... Hmmm, good thing I didn't describe
it as a "whack" :-) The 3.5 I have sitting on my modem (Cardinal2400)
and the 5.25 is on top of a small block of wood. I then went to Radio
Shack and got the $13 monitor full tilt and swivel stand which went
on top of the whole mess. Works and looks great! The small piece of
wood may soon end up as a small project box, in which I route wires for
the stereo (which is also under the desk). It depends if I want to kill
the tuner and just mount the amp in the little box or not. BTW: with
this set-up, you dont need the longer cables. Run the joystick and the
RCA plug from your video digitizer out the front, and the stereo hooks
and all the system wires out the small cut out in the back...

Dan

cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson [Animal]) (01/30/91)

mcgu5464@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Ronald J Mcguire) writes:

>In article <7736@plains.NoDak.edu> swiers@plains.NoDak.edu (Mike Swiers ) writes:
>>+>|Actually I put the IIgs on the floor and have my 3.5" drives under the monitor
>>+>|via a IIc+ monitor stand (I think it works terribly well).

On a related note, has anyone extended a 3.5" drive cable?  I put my
GS with hard drives and printer into the closet, and made extender
cables for the keyboard, joystick, and RGB monitor.  However, when I
tried to make an extension cable for the 3.5" drive, it just wouldn't
work reliably.  I think the cable was 6' or so.

Oh, speaking of extender cables and such, someone might find it
interesting and useful to know that you can stretch the ADB buss 100'
or so... I wired up some mini-din 4 pin connectors (ADB-type) to RJ-11
(phone jack) connectors, and hooked up a hunk of 100' telephone cord
between them.   At the time I had a good reason for doing such an evil
thing, but now I just use it to sit across the room in bed and play
games via keyboard...

--Chan
    Chan Wilson -- cwilson@nisc.sri.com <!> I don't speak for SRI.
Janitor/Architect of comp.binaries.apple2 archive on wuarchive.wustl.edu
			      "a2fx it!"

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (01/31/91)

> However, when I tried to make an extension cable for the 3.5" drive,
> it just wouldn't work reliably.  I think the cable was 6' or so.

    Isn't the maximum cable length for a drive unit something like 1.5m (what
is that, about 4.5 feet)?  I don't know what the technical reason behind that,
but there is a similar restriction for a SCSI cable.  If you find out how long
you can extend a floppy table, let me know.  It would be nice if I could
stretch the 3.5" drive out so I can backup the hard drive while in bed... ;)

Brian T. Tao  {taob@pnet91.cts.com} ||  Computer guru?  Someone who got
University of Metro Toronto         ||  their computer a couple of weeks
Scarberia, ON, MIC 3A8         *B-) ||  before you did.  (Alvin Toffler)