[comp.sys.apple2] Anybody using AppleTalk?

mort@apollo.HP.COM (Stephen Moriarty) (01/31/91)

I stumbled across the press release from March, 1988 for
AppleTalk and have since become interested in it. It sounds like
a good idea to me, although perhaps too expensive to be
practical. I haven't heard anything of it outside of Apple
literature, and so I wanted to see if many installations exist.
If you run it, do you like it? Have the prices come down at all
(AppleShare File Server, $799; AppleShare Print Server, $299;
Aristotle, $199; Apple II Workstation Card, $249; Apple IIGS
Workstation Software, $99; and InterPoll Network Administrator's
Utility, $129). Are there any third party sources? Are there many
AppleShare-aware ProDOS (R) applications -- network versions for
the AppleTalk network -- around? Thanks

ARPA: mort@apollo.hp.com        UUCP: ...{decvax, umix, mit-eddie}!apollo!mort
Apollo, a subsidiary of Hewlett Packard, 300 Apollo Drive, Chelmsford, MA. 01824
              Argue for your limitations, and they are yours.

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/31/91)

In article <4f85585e.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> mort@apollo.HP.COM (Stephen Moriarty) writes:
>I stumbled across the press release from March, 1988 for
>AppleTalk and have since become interested in it. It sounds like
>a good idea to me, although perhaps too expensive to be
>practical. I haven't heard anything of it outside of Apple
>literature, and so I wanted to see if many installations exist.
>If you run it, do you like it? Have the prices come down at all
>(AppleShare File Server, $799; AppleShare Print Server, $299;
>Aristotle, $199; Apple II Workstation Card, $249; Apple IIGS
>Workstation Software, $99; and InterPoll Network Administrator's
>Utility, $129). Are there any third party sources? Are there many
>AppleShare-aware ProDOS (R) applications -- network versions for
>the AppleTalk network -- around? Thanks

Many places use AppleTalk, although mostly on Macs. The University of Texas'
microcomputer lab has a bunch of Macs hooked up to laser printers, ImageWriters,
and the rest of the school via AppleTalk. Dunno about the prices though...
they sound about right. The File Server and Print Server require a Mac,
Aristotle and the Apple II stuff run on the IIs, not sure about the InterPoll
Network Administrator's Utility.

Most Prodos software will be able to access the file server, and GS/OS 5.0
and above has good support for AppleShare and the AppleShare Filing Protocol,
so all GS/OS applications should work with AppleTalk.

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          |     "My ganglion is stuck in