[comp.sys.apple2] GSHK & AppleWorks

TS8RBOTW@MIAMIU.BITNET (Radagast) (01/23/91)

1.  What mac formats (if any) does GSHK 1.03 unpack?  If none, please tell
    me what programs (available via FTP) can unpack which mac formats.
    Specifically, I'm trying to transfer sound files from a friend's mac
    to my IIGS.

2.  Has anyone ever had trouble with AppleWorks 3.0 insisting on printing
    in 12 cpi, instead of 10?  I've got the Imagawriter II driver installed
    in AppleWorks, I have the default set to 10cpi, I even set it again
    within my document to 10cpi, and I have the dip switch on my ImageWriter
    set to 10cpi... and I STILL get 12cpi printing.  What's the deal?

Helpful hint:  Never, ever, use both the RamFAST driver AND Apple's SCSI
    drivers at the same time... totally screws your system.  I found that
    out the hard way... :)

    Thanks,
      Tim
 _                                   _                              _
[_  Miami University, Oxford, OH:   [_] Columbus, Ohio:             _]
 _] ts8rbotw@miamiu.bitnet          [_] tschmidt@pro-tcc.cts.com   [_
[_  tfschmidt@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu [_] Radagast@bluemoon.uucp      _]
 _] ts8rbotw@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu  [_] tschmidt@pro-mania.cts.com [_

ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/23/91)

In article <91022.161309TS8RBOTW@MIAMIU.BITNET> TS8RBOTW@MIAMIU.BITNET (Radagast) writes:
>1.  What mac formats (if any) does GSHK 1.03 unpack?  If none, please tell
>    me what programs (available via FTP) can unpack which mac formats.
>    Specifically, I'm trying to transfer sound files from a friend's mac
>    to my IIGS.

GSHK unpacks Stuffit files. It also unpacks ARC and ZOO (mostly from the IBM
world). Also, some sound files on the Mac have 0's in them, which will cause
the Ensoniq to stop playing. So, the IIGS Toolbox Ref Vol 3 sez to convert
all 0's to 1's before you play the file. Most Mac files are digitized at
22KHz, so you should set the playing speed to ~439.

I don't know about your AppleWorks 3.0 problem though... AppleWorks is too
expensive for me! :-)
Only thing I can think of is that you might not have the printer codes set
up right. This shouldn't be the case though, since AppleWorks has a default
for ImageWriters.

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu        |     "My ganglion is stuck in

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (01/24/91)

> Helpful hint:  Never, ever, use both the RamFAST driver AND Apple's SCSI
>     drivers at the same time... totally screws your system.  I found that
>     out the hard way... :)

    Why?  What happens?  Do you mean having SCSI.MANAGER, SCSIHD.DRIVER and
RAMFAST.DRIVER all active at once?  That's how I've been running since I got
the RAMFast, and I haven't had any problems so far.  Do elaborate on this.

- Brian

Brian T. Tao  {taob@pnet91.cts.com} ||  Computer guru?  Someone who got
University of Metro Toronto         ||  their computer a couple of weeks
Scarberia, ON, MIC 3A8         *B-) ||  before you did.  (Alvin Toffler)

spock@wrkof.incom.de (Martin Georg) (01/31/91)

Guys, I can't speak for CV Tech itself, but I quote what Drew Vaughan from
CV Tech said several times on GEnie:

NEVER USE APPLES DRIVERS TOETHER WITH THE RAMFAST DRIVER!!!!

If you do this, it can and will do serious damage to your harddisks data!!!
If you run a RamFAST, disable (or better, delete all drivers from Apple which
are SCSI related - including the SCSI.Manager. Only leave the RAMFast driver
active!

Martin Georg (GEnie: A2.Martin)
AUGE e.V., Apple IIgs SIG
Frankfurt, Germany