[comp.sys.apple2] Downloading IIGS S/W on mac

carnahan@inljeff.den.mmc.com (Rich Carnahan) (01/29/91)

I think I know the answer to this one but I'll ask anyway.  Is
there any way to download apple2 S/W to the mac and then transfer
it to the IIGS?  My IIGS is not attached to any net at present.

Thanks in advance.

Rich

--------------> rich <-------------- (carnahan@inljeff.den.mmc.com)

Martin Marietta Astronautics Group
Box 1260
MS XL8058
Denver, Colorado 80201-1260

(303) 971-7981

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (01/29/91)

  You shouldn't have any trouble downloading Apple II software onto a
Mac before transferring it to a GS.  Most software is run through ShrinkIt
and then Binscii before uploading.  You can download normally to a Mac,
transfer it to a Prodos disk using Apple File Exchange, and then put it
on your real computer and run it through Binscii and then ShrinkIt just
as you would have to anyway if you had downloaded directly to your GS.

| Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet        |
| Department of Mathematics  |                             |
| University of Connecticut  | Compu$erve  71545,1500      |
| 32 Hillside Avenue         | GEnie       ah.stein        |
| Waterbury, CT 06710        | SNET        (203) 757-1231  |
|__________________________________________________________|

kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) (01/31/91)

In article <9101290257.AA18909@apple.com> STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET writes:

>  You shouldn't have any trouble downloading Apple II software onto a
>Mac before transferring it to a GS.  Most software is run through ShrinkIt
>and then Binscii before uploading.  You can download normally to a Mac,
>transfer it to a Prodos disk using Apple File Exchange, and then put it
>on your real computer and run it through Binscii and then ShrinkIt just
>as you would have to anyway if you had downloaded directly to your GS.

NO!  Don't use Apple File Exchange!  It's horribly slow!  (When writing
to a ProDOS disk, it accesses the bitmap blocks FOR EVERY BLOCK IT
WRITES!  ARRRGGGHH!)

Instead, I've had the best (and fastest) results in using either HFSLINK
by Scott Blackman (I think it's up to beta version 5 now) or A2FX by
Chan Wilson.  They both work very quickly.  I personally like the
interface of HFSLINK better, but A2FX is nice also.

Both of these programs run on the //gs and read from Mac HFS disks.
I've had some trouble with binary files with HFSLINK (I didn't track
down where the problem was exactly--the files may have been corrupted to
begin with), but BINSCIIed files always transfer perfectly.  I combine
this set-up with GSCII+ to unBINSCII all the files.  This set-up has
made more than one Mac user drool.  (BinHex, the rough equivalent of
BINSCII for the Mac, requires all the headers to be stripped off, and
for all the parts to be in the proper order.  It also can't do multiple
files at once.  In addition, StuffIt on the Mac is about 2-3 times
slower than ShrinkIt.  Face it--Mac's suck.  :-)

Now, all I need is FTP for my //gs over AppleTalk, and I blow away the
downloading capabilities of the Mac.  :-)

Kent Dickey
kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/31/91)

In article <5817@idunno.Princeton.EDU> kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) writes:

>begin with), but BINSCIIed files always transfer perfectly.  I combine
>this set-up with GSCII+ to unBINSCII all the files.  This set-up has
>made more than one Mac user drool.  (BinHex, the rough equivalent of
>BINSCII for the Mac, requires all the headers to be stripped off, and
>for all the parts to be in the proper order.  It also can't do multiple

Yup, BINSCII is a _great_ program. The only problem it has is the interface...
Frankly, it sucks [IMHO]. I hope the newer version (1.1, I think?) is better.

>files at once.  In addition, StuffIt on the Mac is about 2-3 times
>slower than ShrinkIt.  Face it--Mac's suck.  :-)

I've always wondered why StuffIt is so slow... I even think that unStuffing a
file with GSHK is faster than using Stuffit on a Mac SE.

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          |     "My ganglion is stuck in

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (01/31/91)

In article <43486@ut-emx.uucp> daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:
>In article <5817@idunno.Princeton.EDU> kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) writes:
>
>Yup, BINSCII is a _great_ program. The only problem it has is the interface...
>Frankly, it sucks [IMHO]. I hope the newer version (1.1, I think?) is better.

Humble opinion, nuthin. It DOES suck. That's why I'm fixing it (I'm
going awful slow, though, eh?). Fear not...

--
Dave Whitney
Computer Science MIT 1990	| I wrote Z-Link and BinSCII. Send me bug

stadler@Apple.COM (Andy Stadler) (02/01/91)

Two other ways to download from mac to gs:

1.  DuplicateIIGS

If you use MPW, there's a utility in the MPW IIGS package called duplicateiigs.
It's based on the same ProDOS read/write engine as Apple File Exchange, but
don't worry:  We fixed the slow back-n-forth write algorithm, added a read/
write cache, enabled multiple file copying and deep directory access, and
included the ability to read and write resource forks (remember, AFX was
written before the GS had resource forks.  It will strip them.  That's why
we don't use it much anymore).  The current duplicateiigs is quite fast, and
we use it as a primary tool here for program development.

2.  System 7.0

If you are lucky enough to have a beta copy of the newest Mac system disk,
you can string a LocalTalk wire from it to your GS, and use the new "Personal
AppleShare" feature to make any portion of your Mac's hard disk into a
file server.  File down-and-uploading becomes a finder copy.  You can even
run GS programs directly out of your Mac's hard disk.

Andy Stadler
HyperCard IIGS Team
Apple Computer, Inc.