[comp.sys.apple2] zlaunch.013

KMILES@AARDVARK.UCS.UOKNOR.EDU (KURT MILES 329-7303) (01/26/91)

I seem to be haveing a problem with zlaunch.  I binscii and unshrink.  all ok.
then I launch form finder.  boots, get an initial screen, then the blasted
machine goes "boink" and the screen says "Arrgh 0046".  Any ideas?

Kurt

              . . . . . Greyman ------->   and the   <-----------DRAGON . . .

      Remember... Sometimes the DRAGON wins!!!
                                ------
kmiles@uokucsvx (bitnet)            kmiles@aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu  (internet)

Kapffer@UAIMZA.MATHEMATIK.UNI-MAINZ.DE (01/31/91)

>I seem to be haveing a problem with zlaunch.  I binscii and unshrink.  all ok.
>then I launch form finder.  boots, get an initial screen, then the blasted
>machine goes "boink" and the screen says "Arrgh 0046".  Any ideas?

Yes. I too had this problem. This version expects to find the
BASIC.Launcher in the root directory of the boot volume (in anticipation of
launching A/S programs, I suppose) - note that $46 is GS/OS' error code for
"file not found". Newer versions ( >= 0.2 ) don't have this problem
anymore.

I've moved the BASIC.Launcher into the system directory (and changed the
application pathnames of the icons for A/S programs and binary files
appropriatly) to keep the root directory "cleaner" - I believe it belongs
there anyway. Moreover, I remember reading statements from Apple that the
BASIC.Launcher is an implementation dependant feature and may disappear.

                      M a t t h i a s   K a p f f e r

email:  Kapffer@uaimza.Mathematik.Uni-Mainz.DE

meekins@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu (timothy lee meekins) (02/01/91)

In article <9101311522.AA00631@UAIMZA.Mathematik.Uni-Mainz.DE> Kapffer@UAIMZA.MATHEMATIK.UNI-MAINZ.DE writes:

>>I seem to be haveing a problem with zlaunch.  I binscii and unshrink.  all ok.
>>then I launch form finder.  boots, get an initial screen, then the blasted
>>machine goes "boink" and the screen says "Arrgh 0046".  Any ideas?
>>
>Yes. I too had this problem. This version expects to find the
>BASIC.Launcher in the root directory of the boot volume (in anticipation of
>launching A/S programs, I suppose) - note that $46 is GS/OS' error code for
>"file not found". Newer versions ( >= 0.2 ) don't have this problem
>anymore.

NO version of ZLaunch expects to find BASIC.Launcher, unfortunately,
pre-0.20 versions still managed to crash if it couldn't be found. Also
not, BASIC.LAUNCHER doesn't need to reside in theroot directory, it can also
reside in the ZLaunch application directory.

>I've moved the BASIC.Launcher into the system directory (and changed the
>application pathnames of the icons for A/S programs and binary files
>appropriatly) to keep the root directory "cleaner" - I believe it belongs
>there anyway. Moreover, I remember reading statements from Apple that the
>BASIC.Launcher is an implementation dependant feature and may disappear.

I've also heard this, and if it so happens, I may release my own Basic
Launcher. But, as of now, it really isn't possible to launch Applesoft
w/o having BASIC.Launcher. If Apple gets rid of it, then they would be
forced to add Applesoft launching capabilities directly into the GS/OS
Quit code, which of course would't be problem, about 2 lines of assembly
code to ZLaunch. (ie. I could have anew version out the door the same day
new System Software is released.) In summary, it's not a bif deal if
Apple gets rid of BASIC.Launcher because they'll still have Applesoft
support (or at least we would think so.) Being able to launch Applesoft
from GS/OS quit would also be faster than going thtough BASIC.Launcher,
so maybe we should all wish for this route.

--
|/ Tim Meekins                  <<>> Snail Mail:           <<>>  Apple II  \|