[comp.sys.apple2] RE>Re- The Old Octo-RAM card: EPROM burner

giovin@ecs.umass.edu (01/25/91)

In article <14957@smoke.brl.mil>, gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>> In article <9101231720.AA18200@apple.com> EWINGRA@CTRVX1.VANDERBILT.EDU (Rick Ewing) writes:
>>>BTW, how can you pirate *hardware*???
>>

> Easy, you borrow a friend's card and run it through your matter duplicator.

Actually, a friend of mine who worked as a service guy at an Apple
dealer used to copy chips he needed with what I think he said was an
"EPROM burner."  So, if you're handy, you could "copy" someone's
card.

giovin@ecs.umass.edu (01/25/91)

In article <43151@ut-emx.uucp>, daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:

>>> Easy, you borrow a friend's card and run it through your matter duplicator.
>>
>>Actually, a friend of mine who worked as a service guy at an Apple
>>dealer used to copy chips he needed with what I think he said was an
>>"EPROM burner."  So, if you're handy, you could "copy" someone's
>>card.
>
> Ah, but that only copies EPROMS. You would have to go buy a PCB, draw little
> traces on it, etch it, drill holes into it, buy your resistors/chips/capacitors
> and all that other stuff and solder them in... It's not very easy to do it
> that way. You can copy nintendo cartriges though :-)

Actually, that's what I meant when I wrote, "... if you're handy..."
Those resistors, capacitors, etc. could probably be easily obtained.

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/25/91)

In article <12183.279f6f30@ecs.umass.edu> giovin@ecs.umass.edu writes:

>> Easy, you borrow a friend's card and run it through your matter duplicator.
>
>Actually, a friend of mine who worked as a service guy at an Apple
>dealer used to copy chips he needed with what I think he said was an
>"EPROM burner."  So, if you're handy, you could "copy" someone's
>card.

Ah, but that only copies EPROMS. You would have to go buy a PCB, draw little
traces on it, etch it, drill holes into it, buy your resistors/chips/capacitors
and all that other stuff and solder them in... It's not very easy to do it
that way. You can copy nintendo cartriges though :-)

BTW... my email address has changed
It's now daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu        |     "My ganglion is stuck in

khorster@pro-graphics.cts.com (Karl Horster) (01/27/91)

        You have any idea how hard that would be, and the special equipment
you need?  My brother back in the early 80's made a computerized drill press
for his college project in engineering.  Burning EPROM's are not fun, but if
this guy has EEPROM it would be a lot easier...

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/30/91)

In article <12199.27a04b8b@ecs.umass.edu> giovin@ecs.umass.edu writes:
=In article <43151@ut-emx.uucp>, daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:
=> In article <12183.279f6f30@ecs.umass.edu> giovin@ecs.umass.edu writes:
=>>In article <14957@smoke.brl.mil>, gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
=>>>> In article <9101231720.AA18200@apple.com> EWINGRA@CTRVX1.VANDERBILT.EDU (Rick Ewing) writes:
=>>>>>BTW, how can you pirate *hardware*???
=>>> Easy, you borrow a friend's card and run it through your matter duplicator.
=>
=
=Actually, that's what I meant when I wrote, "... if you're handy..."
=Those resistors, capacitors, etc. could probably be easily obtained.

Those traces would be pretty hard to draw/photograph or whatever. I like the
matter duplicator idea better :-)

giovin@ecs.umass.edu (02/01/91)

--------------------------------------
> BTW, how can you pirate *hardware*???
= Easy, you borrow a friend's card and run it through your matter duplicator.

$ Ah, but that only copies EPROMS. You would have to go buy a PCB, draw little
$ traces on it, etch it, drill holes into it, buy your resistors/chips/capacitors
$ and all that other stuff and solder them in... It's not very easy to do it
$ that way. You can copy nintendo cartriges though :-)

] Actually, that's what I meant when I wrote, "... if you're handy..."
] Those resistors, capacitors, etc. could probably be easily obtained.
- Those traces would be pretty hard to draw/photograph or whatever. I like the
- matter duplicator idea better :-)

OK!  OK!  So it would be really tough to pirate anything "worthwhile," I
just remember that he did things with chips a lot and that's what he told
me.  --> i.e. He made copies of lowercase chips back when the II+ was
the latest Apple, and used to modify display chips so that instead of
booting with "APPLE ][," his computer would display his name.  He
probably never made his own boards for the expansion slots.
Rocky