[comp.sys.apple2] Wings

In article <1991Jan23.070038.2177@ims.alaska.edu> asslk@acad2.anc.alaska.edu writes:
>Oh man, nothing personal, but get prosel 16!  For one thing, it beats the
>tar out of that finder thing.  It has every utility that one could think of
>and yes, it can reorder directories.  It will be the best $54 you spent
>on utility software.  And, yes, I did say buy.  It is a product that deserves
>to be supported.

	I think that for general file utilities, Wings "beats the tar out of"
ProSEL 16!  There's no reorder directory command that I can remember (Oh
wait, there's alphebetizing of directories, and maybe there's also moving
files around directories).... It's the best launcher/general file utility
program I've seen though...

	The actual file copying/moving utility is almost as good as the
Finder except it for some reason does ONE FILE at a time, not as many
as memory allows like the Finder does. (That's my biggest compliment to
the Finder, that it does file copying faster than anything else)

--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. /

knauer@tiberius.cs.uiuc.edu (Rob Knauerhase) (01/24/91)

In article <11434@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>In article <1991Jan23.070038.2177@ims.alaska.edu> asslk@acad2.anc.alaska.edu writes:
>>Oh man, nothing personal, but get prosel 16!  For one thing, it beats the
>>tar out of that finder thing.  It has every utility that one could think of
>>and yes, it can reorder directories.  It will be the best $54 you spent
>>on utility software.  And, yes, I did say buy.  It is a product that deserves
>>to be supported.

Yup, very true.  Except you should buy it from Bredon himself both to
maximize the profit he gets and to be sure you're on the list for updates.

>	I think that for general file utilities, Wings "beats the tar out of"
>ProSEL 16!  There's no reorder directory command that I can remember (Oh
>wait, there's alphebetizing of directories, and maybe there's also moving
>files around directories)....

Bzzzzzt.  Wrong answer, but thanks for playing. :)  I'd look into the late-
-night 800-number ads for memory improvement courses. :)

    There is sorting by name, type, date, etc. as well as moving of
individual files.

> [Wings is] the best launcher/general file utility program I've seen though.

I can't comment on this since I haven't seen Wings yet.  But, does it allow
you to:
  launch files at fast or slow speed?
  launch files with a memory purge beforehand?
  launch files with/without it staying in memory (for speed/space tradeoffs)?
  pass startup strings to the apps you launch?
  use the mouse, arrow keys, or first letter of the name to move around?
...ad infinitum.

Other than the launcher, does it have:
  file utilities including the usual copy, delete, etc. plus undelete,
    format, wipe, move, dump, disassemble, etc.?
  a volume optimizer?
  an automatic "salvage what you can even though the disk is trashed"?
  a super-smart, fast volume backup?
  an appointment book/etc.?
  a fully programmable RPN claculator, programs save-able to disk?
  a find-file?
  a system-info?
  or the several other things I'm forgetting since I'm not at home? :)

And if Wings has any or all of these, are they kept on disk and brought
in as needed?  Can you configure any comination of them out of the executable
to save space on 3.5" disks?  Do they work in text mode OR a nifty (and FAST)
super-hi-res mode?

I could go on and on.  ProSel 16 is the closest thing to Norton Utilities
for the GS, except in many cases it's either faster or offers a superset of
NU's features.

>	The actual file copying/moving utility is almost as good as the
>Finder except it for some reason does ONE FILE at a time, not as many
>as memory allows like the Finder does. (That's my biggest compliment to
>the Finder, that it does file copying faster than anything else)

Maybe you're thinking of cat.doctor, a utility that comes with ProSel 8 for
the //e (which you get with purchase of ProSel 16).  Once, the Finder was the
only program to use sessions, but very shortly thereafter ProSel began using
them, and now they're common fare.  In fact, I'd bet ProSel is faster since
it's coded in assembly and Bredon is an excellent programmer.

In short, I'll look at Wings this weekend, but I would bet money even before
seeing it that ProSel blows it away.  Of all the Apple II software I've
bought, it's far and away the best value.  (Well, I did get a lot of use
out of AppleWriter 1.0, so let's call it tied for best value. :)

Oh, and did I mention that Bredon constantly adds features, and upgrades are
available through mail or on-line with CI$ and GEnie, etc.?

Rob Knauerhase
Robert C. Knauerhase        "Since the day the Apple III (RIP) was introduced
U of Ill @ Urbana-Champaign  in 1980, the 'experts' have been saying the Apple
Dept. of Computer Science    II is a dead machine.  If the Apple III couldn't
knauer@cs.uiuc.edu           kill it, the Lisa (RIP) or the PC Jr. (RIP) or the
rck@ces.cwru.edu             128K Mac (RIP) would.  Some people never learn."
knauer@scivax.lerc.nasa.gov                      -- Tom Weishaar

In article <1991Jan23.224738.17137@julius.cs.uiuc.edu> knauer@cs.uiuc.edu (Rob Knauerhase) writes:
>In article <11434@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>>	I think that for general file utilities, Wings "beats the tar out of"
>>ProSEL 16!  There's no reorder directory command that I can remember (Oh
>>wait, there's alphebetizing of directories, and maybe there's also moving
>>files around directories)....
>
>    There is sorting by name, type, date, etc. as well as moving of
>individual files.

	I was talking about WINGS. From what you say later in this article,
you've never seen Wings. From the way you've worded a few of your comments,
I am presuming you're thinking I'm talking about ProSEL when I'm really
talking about Wings!

>I can't comment on this since I haven't seen Wings yet.  But, does it allow

	Duhh, you just said it right there. (Haven't seen Wings)

>Other than the launcher, does it have:
>  file utilities including the usual copy, delete, etc. plus undelete,
>    format, wipe, move, dump, disassemble, etc.?
	I don't know about dump and disassemble (and doubt it), but the
other ones, yes it has them.

>  a volume optimizer?
	No, Wings is a launcher and general file utility program. There's
another program by Vitesse for volume optimizing.
>  an automatic "salvage what you can even though the disk is trashed"?
>  a super-smart, fast volume backup?
	Same as my last answer. "Salvation" is what you're looking for for
disk backup/recovery, but I don't know about its capabilities.

>  an appointment book/etc.?
>  a fully programmable RPN claculator, programs save-able to disk?
	You ARE kidding about these two right?! I think you're totally
unfamiliar with what Wings is. Not an insult, but the truth.

>  a find-file?
>  a system-info?
	Uhh... I think it has those two.

>to save space on 3.5" disks?  Do they work in text mode OR a nifty (and FAST)
>super-hi-res mode?
	It's in Super Hires.. And it's relatively fast.

>I could go on and on.  ProSel 16 is the closest thing to Norton Utilities
>for the GS, except in many cases it's either faster or offers a superset of
>NU's features.
	Don't EVEN compare Apple based programs to Norton Utilities.
(With the "originator" being Norton Utilities).  Norton Utilities is just a
copy of Copy II Plus! (with a ton of extensions)

>>Finder except it for some reason does ONE FILE at a time, not as many
>>as memory allows like the Finder does. (That's my biggest compliment to
>>the Finder, that it does file copying faster than anything else)
>
>Maybe you're thinking of cat.doctor, a utility that comes with ProSel 8 for
>the //e (which you get with purchase of ProSel 16).  Once, the Finder was the
>only program to use sessions, but very shortly thereafter ProSel began using
>them, and now they're common fare.  In fact, I'd bet ProSel is faster since
>it's coded in assembly and Bredon is an excellent programmer.
	I was talking about WINGS, not ProSEL!

>In short, I'll look at Wings this weekend, but I would bet money even before
>seeing it that ProSel blows it away.  Of all the Apple II software I've
	Nope, I just like Wings better. Of course for some of the
features ProSEL is worth it, but not for the general everyday file utilities
and launching capabilities.

--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. /

WAXMONRW@SNYBUFVA.BITNET (01/25/91)

To muddy the waters a little more about the relevant virtues of Wings and
Prosel16, you might take a look at UtilityWorks and UtilityWorks Launcher.
They are a pair of shareware programs written by George R. Wilde. The
launcher program is $10 and UtilityWorks itself is $20; both together are
$25. George is not on Internet but he is on Genie, Compuserve, Delphi and
a no. of E-Mail networks.

As to the virtue of each, it is a matter of experience, taste and
preference. I have Prosel16 (I paid for it) and UtilityWorks and UtilityWorks
Launcher; I do not have nor have I seen Wings. I prefer Wilde's programs
over Prosel16.

I am not a power user, but I do find that UtilityWorks/Launcher has just
about everything I need and I prefer its interface to that of Prosel's.

If you have access to one of the above networks, take a look at UtilityWorks,
it is a fine program and it is well supported.

Ray Waxmonksy (waxmonrw@snybufva)

As has been said before, "my opinion".

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (01/25/91)

  I hate to say this, Mr. Unknown, but you're pretty confused about
this whole thing.  Rob K. was pointing out things that ProSEL had, and
asking if Wings had 'em.  You stated a while ago the following:
>>      I think that for general file utilities, Wings "beats the tar out of"
>>ProSEL 16!  There's no reorder directory command that I can remember (Oh
>>wait, there's alphebetizing of directories, and maybe there's also moving
>>files around directories)....

  Well, it sounds to me like you're saying that ProSEL doesn't have
these things.  ProSEL DOES.

  You also said this to Rob's remark:

>>I can't comment on this since I haven't seen Wings yet.  But, does it allow
>
>        Duhh, you just said it right there. (Haven't seen Wings)

  Rob wasn't saying ANYTHING about Wings.  He was pointing out things
that ProSEL does, and asking if Wings had them since he didn't know.
Read what he said: "I can't comment on this..."  Don't jump all over
him.  He wasn't putting down Wings, he was praising ProSEL.

  Another point:  When you buy ProSEL ($60 I think), you get all the
functionality of all four or five Vitesse utils, which are at least
$40 each.  Sounds like ProSEL's the most cost effective of the two.

  But paging through your post, I see more places where you were
totally confused:

>>  an appointment book/etc.?
>>  a fully programmable RPN claculator, programs save-able to disk?
>        You ARE kidding about these two right?! I think you're totally
>unfamiliar with what Wings is. Not an insult, but the truth.

  Rob is pointing out things that ProSEL CAN do.  ProSEL has an
appointment calendar CDA, and a fully programmable RPN calculator
whichc can graph functions, plus a hell of a lot of other things.
It'll even access an FPE directly for better speed if you have one.

  Also, you commented on Norton utils...  Norton was writing utils a
long time ago, they've developed into something you COULD compare to
Copy ][+, but I wouldn't.  Personally, I think Copy ][+ is a piece of
crap...

>        Nope, I just like Wings better. Of course for some of the
>features ProSEL is worth it, but not for the general everyday file utilities
>and launching capabilities.

  ProSEL's not worth it for the general everyday file utils and
launching capabilities?  Let me ask you this: Have you ever SEEN
ProSEL?  You are totally off-base with this comment.  I've been using
ProSEL ever since it was a little 8-bit program launcher bundled with
Cat Doctor, and since then, it's been the best there is when it comes
to file utils and launching.  It's developed quite a lot over the
years, and I don't think anything else can even compare to it.  Glen
has free updates available almost every other week.  He just recently
added a really nice text editor.  Does Wings have one?

  Get a grip on reality before you start slamming software you know
nothing about...

		-Greg T.

In article <MbbmyFW00WB6ECK8EB@andrew.cmu.edu> gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) writes:
>  You also said this to Rob's remark:
>
>>>I can't comment on this since I haven't seen Wings yet.  But, does it allow
>>
>>        Duhh, you just said it right there. (Haven't seen Wings)
	He said it right there that he HADN'T SEEN WINGS. that's all I was
commenting on here.

>  Another point:  When you buy ProSEL ($60 I think), you get all the
>functionality of all four or five Vitesse utils, which are at least
>$40 each.  Sounds like ProSEL's the most cost effective of the two.
	Maybe cost effetive, but cost effectiveness certainly isn't
the criteria people use for everything. A Yugo will get you around where
you want to go, and is more cost effective than a Lambourghini Countach.
But I'd prefer a Lambourghini Countach.. (One of my goals in life.. By
the time I'm 40, to have a Lambourghini Countach.. -maybe- a Diablo..)

>>>  an appointment book/etc.?
>>>  a fully programmable RPN claculator, programs save-able to disk?
>>        You ARE kidding about these two right?! I think you're totally
>>unfamiliar with what Wings is. Not an insult, but the truth.
>
>  Rob is pointing out things that ProSEL CAN do.  ProSEL has an

	I was just saying that Wings is a file utility program/launcher..

>  Also, you commented on Norton utils...  Norton was writing utils a
>long time ago, they've developed into something you COULD compare to
>Copy ][+, but I wouldn't.  Personally, I think Copy ][+ is a piece of
>crap...
	Copy II Plus came out way before Norton Utilities, that was
my point... And I think if Copy II Plus unfortunately didn't have the
bug that it has (wrecks files sometimes), I'd be using it now. 9.0 has
that bug I mean, not previous versions.

>  ProSEL's not worth it for the general everyday file utils and
>launching capabilities?  Let me ask you this: Have you ever SEEN
>ProSEL?  You are totally off-base with this comment.  I've been using
	YES, I HAVE SEEN PROSEL. I use it on my most-used disk,
ProTERM.  I use it on other disks too... I still think Wing beats it.

>ProSEL ever since it was a little 8-bit program launcher bundled with
>Cat Doctor, and since then, it's been the best there is when it comes
>to file utils and launching.  It's developed quite a lot over the
>years, and I don't think anything else can even compare to it.  Glen
>has free updates available almost every other week.  He just recently
>added a really nice text editor.  Does Wings have one?
	Yes, Wings has a very good editor. Graphical editor that's
fairly fast compared to some.

>  Get a grip on reality before you start slamming software you know
>nothing about...
	It's not something I know nothing about.. I interpreted a few
things incorrectly in the original post that I replied to and YOU
interpreted things incorrectly in my reply!

--

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (01/25/91)

From knauer@tiberius.cs.uiuc.edu (Rob Knauerhase):

> I could go on and on.  ProSel 16 is the closest thing to Norton Utilities
> for the GS, except in many cases it's either faster or offers a superset
> of NU's features.

    It's amazing what Glen can do with 8 inches worth of assembly source code!
:)  Have you found any undocumented features or "Easter Eggs" in Prosel-16 so
far?  I discovered a couple this past week.  You know about the OA shortcuts
for Utilities, Info Desk, File Finder, etc., right?  Try hitting OA-* and
OA-Tab.  I believe you need to set Preferences so that Prosel doesn't require
that you type Return after the OA command.  OA-* brings up a real, live,
graphic desktop with Apple, File and Edit menus.  OA-Tab shuts off the SHR
text temporarily.  Zap and Utilities work A LOT faster this way.  A couple of
nice touces.

> Oh, and did I mention that Bredon constantly adds features, and upgrades
> are available through mail or on-line with CI$ and GEnie, etc.?

    FYI, Prosel-16 is now at version 8.64... (I can hardly keep up with this
guy's updates!!!)

Brian T. Tao  {taob@pnet91.cts.com} ||  Computer guru?  Someone who got
University of Metro Toronto         ||  their computer a couple of weeks
Scarberia, ON, MIC 3A8         *B-) ||  before you did.  (Alvin Toffler)

ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/25/91)

In article <CCFD6340DE1F402C6C@snybufva.bitnet> WAXMONRW@SNYBUFVA.BITNET writes:
>To muddy the waters a little more about the relevant virtues of Wings and
>Prosel16, you might take a look at UtilityWorks and UtilityWorks Launcher.
>They are a pair of shareware programs written by George R. Wilde. The
>launcher program is $10 and UtilityWorks itself is $20; both together are
>$25. George is not on Internet but he is on Genie, Compuserve, Delphi and
>a no. of E-Mail networks.
>
>As to the virtue of each, it is a matter of experience, taste and
>preference. I have Prosel16 (I paid for it) and UtilityWorks and UtilityWorks
>Launcher; I do not have nor have I seen Wings. I prefer Wilde's programs
>over Prosel16.
>
>I am not a power user, but I do find that UtilityWorks/Launcher has just
>about everything I need and I prefer its interface to that of Prosel's.
>
>If you have access to one of the above networks, take a look at UtilityWorks,
>it is a fine program and it is well supported.
>
>Ray Waxmonksy (waxmonrw@snybufva)
>
>As has been said before, "my opinion".

I've seen an old version of UtilityWorks (I think it was 0.9 or 0.7), and
although it does have some very nice functions, the interface _REALLY_ bugs
me. It doesn't use the Standard File toolset to get filenames, and although
there isn't anything wrong with that, certain things should be included
in his custom dialog boxes. For example, double clicking a file will not
select it, and it won't open folders either. Since I'm not much of a mouse
user, I always double click or use the keyboard to do my selections. The
Tab key won't change devices, and if I recall correctly, Return won't accept
the file either. You have to click on a button to do that. Frankly, it seems
that the only reason he used custom dialog boxes was to include the filetype
next to the filename.

Well, that's my opinion...

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu        |     "My ganglion is stuck in

ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/25/91)

In article <MbbmyFW00WB6ECK8EB@andrew.cmu.edu> gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) writes:

Since I haven't seen Prosel or Wings, much of the stuff has been deleted.
However, I have seen Norton and Copy II+...

>  Also, you commented on Norton utils...  Norton was writing utils a
>long time ago, they've developed into something you COULD compare to
>Copy ][+, but I wouldn't.  Personally, I think Copy ][+ is a piece of
>crap...

True, Norton was writing utils a long time ago, but Copy II+ was written
a long time ago too... Copy II+ was up to version 5 in 1985, and I've seen
v.3 point something a few years before that. According to this ad in the
August '85 Nibble, Copy II+ was originally written in 1981. I think the
IBM PC just came out at that time, so Copy II+ is older than NU.

I do agree with you that Copy II+ isn't really that great, but I've seen
reviews of Prosel (and I'm thinking of buying it very soon) and it seems
to be much better than NU.

--

knauer@tiberius.cs.uiuc.edu (Rob Knauerhase) (01/25/91)

In article <11518@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>>>        Duhh, you just said it right there. (Haven't seen Wings)
>	He said it right there that he HADN'T SEEN WINGS. that's all I was
>commenting on here.

FOR THE RECORD:  Gregory Thompson is correct -- I was extolling ProSel's
merits and allowing you (the Wings expert) to make the comparison.  Unknown
(for some unknown reason :) badly misinterpreted my post.

>>  Another point:  When you buy ProSEL ($60 I think), you get all the
>>functionality of all four or five Vitesse utils, which are at least
>>$40 each.  Sounds like ProSEL's the most cost effective of the two.
>	Maybe cost effetive, but cost effectiveness certainly isn't
>the criteria people use for everything. A Yugo will get you around where
>you want to go, and is more cost effective than a Lambourghini Countach.

By the feature list I listed, it seems ProSel has the most horsepower for
the least capital outlay; sort of like a $50,000 Corvette that zings past
the Countach... :)  And you don't have to buy the parts separately.

>>>        You ARE kidding about these two right?! I think you're totally
>>>unfamiliar with what Wings is. Not an insult, but the truth.
>>
>>  Rob is pointing out things that ProSEL CAN do.  ProSEL has an

Good example of why you should reread a post before you reply.

>>  ProSEL's not worth it for the general everyday file utils and
>>launching capabilities?  Let me ask you this: Have you ever SEEN
>>ProSEL?  You are totally off-base with this comment.  I've been using
>	YES, I HAVE SEEN PROSEL. I use it on my most-used disk,
>ProTERM.  I use it on other disks too... I still think Wing beats it.

Every man gets his opinion, no matter how wrong it may be. :)

>>  Get a grip on reality before you start slamming software you know
>>nothing about...
>	It's not something I know nothing about.. I interpreted a few
>things incorrectly in the original post that I replied to and YOU
>interpreted things incorrectly in my reply!

Enough of this.  My original post sang the virtues of ProSel, and since
I haven't heard amazing things about Wings (and Unknown hasn't answered that
list of questions about its features :), I'm convinced it's the superior
package.

So everyone buy ProSel, and let's stop this thread.  Or better yet send
Tim Meekins the shareware fee for ZLaunch and be done with it.

asslk@acad2.anc.alaska.edu (Kingry Shane L) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan25.052138.27000@julius.cs.uiuc.edu>, knauer@tiberius.cs.uiuc.edu (Rob Knauerhase) writes...
>In article <11518@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>>In article <MbbmyFW00WB6ECK8EB@andrew.cmu.edu> gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) writes:

>>>ProSEL?  You are totally off-base with this comment.  I've been using
>>	YES, I HAVE SEEN PROSEL. I use it on my most-used disk,
>>ProTERM.  I use it on other disks too... I still think Wing beats it.

Excuse me, you have ProSel and GS/OS on several disks?  That it itself takes
up way over half the disk.  Also, if you use it on your most used disk, and
you like wings better, then I would think there is something wrong.  After
all, if you like wings better?!  Also, ProTERM is a P8 program;  you are
implying that you don't have an HD, so why are you even booting into
GS/OS to start with?  That is very odd.

>Enough of this.  My original post sang the virtues of ProSel, and since
>I haven't heard amazing things about Wings (and Unknown hasn't answered that
>list of questions about its features :), I'm convinced it's the superior
>package.

I would have to agree here.  Both in price and quality.  Let it be done.

------------------
SK

In article <1991Jan25.091959.8601@ims.alaska.edu> asslk@acad2.anc.alaska.edu writes:

	First, a break for a primal scream.. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH! People
keep misinterpreting what I'm saying. I'm not the most eloquent speaker
around, but I think I say what I mean (usually) and mean what I say.
(Unfortunately, other people are thinking I'm saying/meaning something else..
I do misspeak occassionally also)

	And now, back to our regularly scheduled program..

>Excuse me, you have ProSel and GS/OS on several disks?  That it itself takes
>up way over half the disk.  Also, if you use it on your most used disk, and
>you like wings better, then I would think there is something wrong.  After
>all, if you like wings better?!  Also, ProTERM is a P8 program;  you are
>implying that you don't have an HD, so why are you even booting into
>GS/OS to start with?  That is very odd.

	You're misinterpreting me. I use ProSEL on my most used disk (ProTERM),
because ProTERM is an 8 bit program. Unfortunately, without a hard drive,
it's too big of a pain to boot into GS/OS (and Wings).. {Hopefully I'll have
a hard drive soon after the goddamned thing burned up when I hooked it up
originally.. it apparently wasn't anything I did so it's being fixed under
warranty}
	So repeating myself, I boot into ProSEL because it's probably the
best thing so far for ProDOS 8, and since I don't need GS/OS booted, I
don't boot into Wings..
	I probably will with a hard drive though, I dunno... Depends on
how long it takes to boot..

--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. /

swiers@plains.NoDak.edu (Mike Swiers ) (01/26/91)

I didn't want to copy all the "he said that he said that he said" stuffs, but I
would like to know if we are comparing ProSel-8 (yuck!) to Wingz (never seen it)or ProSel-16 (AWESOME program) to Wingz (doesn't impress me so far).  Is that
the case here?

Just wondering...

Mike

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (01/26/91)

  Well, I think I just found the main source of our problems and
misunderstandings...

unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>         You're misinterpreting me. I use ProSEL on my most used disk (ProTERM),
> because ProTERM is an 8 bit program. Unfortunately, without a hard drive,
> it's too big of a pain to boot into GS/OS (and Wings).. {Hopefully I'll have
> a hard drive soon after the goddamned thing burned up when I hooked it up
> originally.. it apparently wasn't anything I did so it's being fixed under
> warranty}
>         So repeating myself, I boot into ProSEL because it's probably the
> best thing so far for ProDOS 8, and since I don't need GS/OS booted, I
> don't boot into Wings..

  There ya go.  You're using ProSEL 8...  I'm 99% sure that the rest
of us are talking about ProSEL 16.  ProSEL 8 is currently at version
4.0, and hasn't changed in quite a while.  ProSEL 16, on the other
hand, is at version 8.something.  Glen updates it all the time.  All
the features that were were mentioning were for ProSEL 16.  ProSEL 8
has a lot of the features in the form of external programs, but 16 has
'em built in.  Anyway, 16 is a lot more robust than 8.  If all you've
seen is 8, then you really haven't seen what ProSEL 16 can do.  I'm
not trying to insult you, or start a war, or anything...  I think we
can all agree that everybody misinterpreted everyone else's comments.

  I still prefer ProSEL 16 over Wings, but to each his own eh?

> --
> /Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
> \WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. \
> /

		-Greg T.

In article <sbcDjj_00WB2EJTupI@andrew.cmu.edu> gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) writes:

>  Well, I think I just found the main source of our problems and
>misunderstandings...
	Nope, not quite.. You make a correct observation, but I'm
lumping both ProSELs together, because they both have many of the
same functions.. (Launcher, Disk recover, etc.)

>unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>>         So repeating myself, I boot into ProSEL because it's probably the
>> best thing so far for ProDOS 8, and since I don't need GS/OS booted, I
>> don't boot into Wings..
>
>  There ya go.  You're using ProSEL 8...  I'm 99% sure that the rest
>of us are talking about ProSEL 16.  ProSEL 8 is currently at version

	Well, as I said, I sort of consider both of them simultaneously
(the ProSELs).. And yes, I HAVE used both of them fairly extensively...
(ProSEL 8 much more than 16 though).

	Larry Virden wanted a review of Wings (which he repeatedly
called "Wingz" in a post... "Wingz" is some IBM and/or Mac productivity
programs of somesuch {I forget if it's a spreadsheet or database or what}

	I will give a more extensive review of Wings soon, but Wings is,
in short, a desktop version of ProSEL... Launching buttons like ProSEL,
file utilities, etc... Word processor/editor... Lots more...

	I don't always like desktop versions of programs over text
versions, though... I use the fact that the GS has a text mode in favor
of it all the time.. (in comparison to the Mac, Amiga, and ST's not
having one)

	I think it'd be DAMN hard to beat ProTERM in a desktop version..
If someone does it, I'd surely buy the program though... A desktop
version of X (does the X protocol work over modems or only directly over
Ethernet or somesuch?), or even a GS equivalent of the -damn cool-
thing Xenix has... You just type ALT-Function key, and you go to another
screen. Instantaneously, and the other screen is still running. It's
VERY useful.. Then you can have an ftp going in one screen, a compile
in another screen (although those don't take long cuz the 386s we use
for graphics are damn fast), an rlogin (to B, the fun machine!) in
another, etc... It's cool.. and I really wish I could do it from home
on my GS.. EITHER in text mode or in actual graphical windows... It'd
be faster in text, so I'd probably prefer that, unless the scrolling,
etc. could be made acceptably fast, like it is in Orca C's editor...

	{Ohwell, that should probably have been a few separate paragraphs,
but I'm too lazy}
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. /

lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com (Laer Haider) (01/29/91)

[...snip]
>to file utils and launching.  It's developed quite a lot over the
>years, and I don't think anything else can even compare to it.  Glen
>has free updates available almost every other week.  He just recently
>added a really nice text editor.  Does Wings have one?

Uh... Yup!  Wings has a very nice text editor that is FAR easier to use
than the one found in ProSel.  GUI, mouse, pull down menus, and all that.
The text editor is the ONLY minus I see in ProSel though.  You can't
beat it's general price/performance (or performance on its own right)
with a stick.  I only wish Glen would get a grip on the CUI (common user
interface, nearly all the MS-DOS developers are switching to it.  Very
similar to Apple's Mac interface we're all so familiar with).

The main feature Glen Bredon is missing in most of the modules of ProSel
(that could really stand to benefit from it) is a standard file requestor
box.  Would make getting to and editing those files a hell of a lot
easier.
                /    _______________________________________________
 \             / /   ProLine:  pro-beagle!lhaider
  \\\' ,      / //      INET:  lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com
   \\\//,   _/ //,      UUCP:  crash!pro-beagle!lhaider
    \_-//' /  //<,      ARPA:  crash!pro-beagle!lhaider@nosc.mil
      \ ///  <//`
      /  >>  \\\`__/_   The opinions expressed here belong to nobody!
     /,)-^>>_\`, \\\    (Anybody see nobody lately?)
     (/   \\ /\\\     -----------------------------------------------
         // _//\\\\
       ((` ((

lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com (Laer Haider) (01/29/91)

[...snip]
>I do agree with you that Copy II+ isn't really that great, but I've seen
>reviews of Prosel (and I'm thinking of buying it very soon) and it seems
>to be much better than NU.

You can't go wrong.  You get several hundred dollars of utility for about
$55.  I started with ProSel 8 and haven't turned back yet.  Yea, I look
at all the fancy new file selectors; but having all that power immediately
available in ProSel 16 makes them all seem wimpy.  There is one small
selector that has promise...  Take a look at ZLanch from Zavtra Software.
It ain't finished yet, but it looks slick as snot so far.  :)
                /    _______________________________________________

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/30/91)

In article <28463.chatter.infoapple@pro-beagle> lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com (Laer Haider) writes:

>[...snip]
>>I do agree with you that Copy II+ isn't really that great, but I've seen
>>reviews of Prosel (and I'm thinking of buying it very soon) and it seems
>>to be much better than NU.
>
>You can't go wrong.  You get several hundred dollars of utility for about
>$55.  I started with ProSel 8 and haven't turned back yet.  Yea, I look
>at all the fancy new file selectors; but having all that power immediately
>available in ProSel 16 makes them all seem wimpy.  There is one small
>selector that has promise...  Take a look at ZLanch from Zavtra Software.
>It ain't finished yet, but it looks slick as snot so far.  :)
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Eeew!! :-)

OK, I'll take a look at ZLaunch...

BTW, I finally got a chance to look at the Software Experience Demo.
It looks great! I got a question tho'... if it ran at 60fps originally
(unTranswarped), why does it only run at 30 now?

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          |     "My ganglion is stuck in

meekins@dragon.cis.ohio-state.edu (timothy lee meekins) (01/30/91)

In article <43371@ut-emx.uucp> daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:
>In article <28463.chatter.infoapple@pro-beagle> lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com (Laer Haider) writes:
>>
>>[...snip]
>>>I do agree with you that Copy II+ isn't really that great, but I've seen
>>>reviews of Prosel (and I'm thinking of buying it very soon) and it seems
>>>to be much better than NU.
>>
>>You can't go wrong.  You get several hundred dollars of utility for about
>>$55.  I started with ProSel 8 and haven't turned back yet.  Yea, I look
>>at all the fancy new file selectors; but having all that power immediately
>>available in ProSel 16 makes them all seem wimpy.  There is one small
>>selector that has promise...  Take a look at ZLanch from Zavtra Software.
>>It ain't finished yet, but it looks slick as snot so far.  :)
>                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks, I think (re: snot) :)

>Eeew!! :-)
>
>OK, I'll take a look at ZLaunch...
>
>BTW, I finally got a chance to look at the Software Experience Demo.
>It looks great! I got a question tho'... if it ran at 60fps originally
>(unTranswarped), why does it only run at 30 now?

The actual animation of the "Z" can be performed in a fraction of a screen
update. If the GS could update the screen in 1/200 of second, It could
probably rotate that fast, of course, you'd never be able to distinguish the
"Z" from the blur. :)

But then I added that line of scrolling text along the top, which takes an
entire 1/60 of second to scroll, thus not leaving enough cycles left in
one screen update for the "Z", thusly, I've split the demo into alternating
frames. On even frames the "Z" is drawn followed by the "II Infinitum"
message along the bottom, and on odd frames, the text along the top is
scrolled.

By pressing the keys 0-3 on the keyboard, you can actually see how much time
each section is spending. You'll notice that the scrolling text takes up
almost an entire screen updatem whereas rotating the "Z" does not.

For more information about the animation and timing information, the source
code for TSE is availbale FTP at tybalt.caltech.edu.

COMING SOON!!

==> Z3D <==

Realtime 3D graphics for the GS.

--
+---------------------------S-U-P-P-O-R-T-----------------------------------+
|/ Tim Meekins                  <<>> Snail Mail:           <<>>  Apple II  \|

-Rich-@cup.portal.com (Richard Sherman Payne) (01/30/91)

>Uh... Yup!  Wings has a very nice text editor that is FAR easier to use
>than the one found in ProSel.  GUI, mouse, pull down menus, and all that.
>The text editor is the ONLY minus I see in ProSel though.  You can't
>beat it's general price/performance (or performance on its own right)
>with a stick.  I only wish Glen would get a grip on the CUI (common user
>interface, nearly all the MS-DOS developers are switching to it.  Very
>similar to Apple's Mac interface we're all so familiar with).

Be advised that there is a problem with the Wings text editor. It chops
large text files without warning. I was in the process of converting some
old executioner files, and had the oppurtunity to edit many files over
50K. They all bombed. I did not bother to figure out how large a file it
takes, and while I occasionally use it, I no longer SAVE files that I have
read.

I tried to edit one of these files (almost have them cleaned out) today
with GSX Edit. I had to chop a combiner basic program out of the text
file. I cut the basic program out, selected all, deleted it, then pasted
it back in. I saved the file with the name combiner. It would not exec.
It took a while to find out why, but GSX Edit had saved the file with
a resource fork. I really had not been looking for this. I will file a
bug report to Mark Cinelli tomorrow.

Oh yes, I have 4 MEG in my ROM 1 GS, and have always had several MEGS
available when Wings chopped my text files. It is a problem with an
otherwise nice editor.

I managed to use the basic program only after entering the ORCA shell,
and "type combiner > comb". This produced a text file that I counld exec.

The GS still needs a decent text editor. And Prizm has it's own problems.
The one that bothers me most often is that it requires a text file to
end in a carrige return. Only by using three text editors can I accomplish
simple tasks with files over 50K. I have an old version of EMACS. I guess
it may be worth looking into.

>The main feature Glen Bredon is missing in most of the modules of ProSel
>(that could really stand to benefit from it) is a standard file requestor
>box.  Would make getting to and editing those files a hell of a lot
>easier.
>                /    _______________________________________________
> \             / /   ProLine:  pro-beagle!lhaider
>  \\\' ,      / //      INET:  lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com
>   \\\//,   _/ //,      UUCP:  crash!pro-beagle!lhaider
>    \_-//' /  //<,      ARPA:  crash!pro-beagle!lhaider@nosc.mil
>      \ ///  <//`
>      /  >>  \\\`__/_   The opinions expressed here belong to nobody!
>     /,)-^>>_\`, \\\    (Anybody see nobody lately?)
>     (/   \\ /\\\     -----------------------------------------------
>         // _//\\\\
>       ((` ((

						Rich

					-Rich-@cup.portal.com

llee@gnh-starport.cts.com (Larry Lee) (01/30/91)

Uhhhh... OA-* =was= documented in ProSel's instructions. That's the command to
use NDA's.

| ProLine.: llee@gnh-starport           |                                    |
| UUCP....: crash!gnh-starport!llee     |   Yo Vanilla kick it one time,     |
| InterNet: llee@gnh-starport.cts.com   |        boooooyyyyyyyyy....         |
| AO .....: Please hold...              |                                    |

rcs00455@zach.fit.edu (Kevin Anderson / Lazlo) (01/31/91)

In article <38646@cup.portal.com> -Rich-@cup.portal.com (Richard Sherman Payne) writes:

>I tried to edit one of these files (almost have them cleaned out) today
>with GSX Edit. I had to chop a combiner basic program out of the text
>file. I cut the basic program out, selected all, deleted it, then pasted
>it back in. I saved the file with the name combiner. It would not exec.
>It took a while to find out why, but GSX Edit had saved the file with
>a resource fork. I really had not been looking for this. I will file a
>bug report to Mark Cinelli tomorrow.

How did you save the files? Did you choose "Save" or "save as text"?
GSXEdit by default saves it's files in teach format, which saves it
with a resource fork I believe.  Tyr using "save as text", I haven't
had any problems with GSXEdit so far.  Very nice program.

>						Rich
>					-Rich-@cup.portal.com

Kevin Anderson
rcs00455@zach.fit.edu

lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com (Laer Haider) (02/02/91)

Tim!  "Slick as snot" is a term we Medical Technologists us a lot.  It's
used to describe something we're impressed with :)  It's not as bad as
analysing a nasal smear for infection or allergies...  We call that "Snot
under glass".  Kinda makes you think of dinner, doesn't it ;)  (Eeeeww!)

Anyway, I've ran your recent release of ZLaunch and haven't experienced
any problems with it so far.  I thank you for the access to the desktop
since that lets me use my text editor NDA and many other occasionally useful
NDAs I have.  Glad to see you're responding to some of my suggestions.  And
thanks for mentioning my name in your credits; gave me "warm fuzzies".

I hope to see the actual "Launcher" portion of the program soon!