[comp.sys.apple2] MNP error correction

Z4616314@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4616314) (01/31/91)

I recently turned up a neat little MS-DOS program that gives you MNP
level 4 error correction in your terminal software rather than in
hardware.  The name of the program is MTE (MNP Terminal Emulator) and
I used it extensivly for about 3 months while I was FORCED to work
with MesSy-DOS machines.  It worked great without a hitch every time
and obviously provided good error correction when I would call a board
known for its "dirty" lines and never get a single error. (I could call
right back with Procomm and get tons o garbage).\
Anyway,  does such a beast exist in the Apple // world?  Is anyone
working on it?  Dave, how bout this as your next addition to Z-Link?
(BTW Dave I really like the new Z-Link,  expect a check)
This would be great for all of us with lowly 2400 bps modems who
cant justify the expense of upgrading to an MNP modem.  These people
say that there program will be MNP lvl 5 compatible soon.  I cant
wait to try it out, then cry cause it wont work on my Apple.
Anyway, anyone lese heard of this???
Have Fun,
B. Scott Mills                                    Apple // Forever
Student Consultant, Stephen F. Austin State University
Z4616314@SFAUSTIN.BITNET or Z4616314.SFAUSTIN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

B. Scott Mills                                    Apple // Forever
Student Consultant, Stephen F. Austin State University
Z4616314@SFAUSTIN.BITNET or Z4616314.SFAUSTIN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (01/31/91)

In article <910130.22112800.047046@SFA.CP6> Z4616314@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4616314) writes:

[MNP level 4 in software described]

>Anyway,  does such a beast exist in the Apple // world?  Is anyone
>working on it?  Dave, how bout this as your next addition to Z-Link?

I've thought about this, but I can't for the simple reason that I
don't know how. Anyone have a spec?

--
Dave Whitney
Computer Science MIT 1990	| I wrote Z-Link and BinSCII. Send me bug

ericm@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Eric Mulholland) (02/02/91)

In article <1991Jan31.131515.7400@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) writes:
>In article <910130.22112800.047046@SFA.CP6> Z4616314@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4616314) writes:
>[MNP level 4 in software described]
>>Anyway,  does such a beast exist in the Apple // world?  Is anyone
>don't know how. Anyone have a spec?

A year or two back when I first saw the MTE program on a bbs, I thought
if they could do it for the ibm, I could do it for the Apple.  Only
problem I ran into was trying to get ahold of the specs!  I searched
around my university libraries and such, but couldn't find it.

Since that time, I have gotten a new modem that supports MNP and
dropped the idea of doing it in software.  If anyone knows or has the
specs, I may be willing to pick this project back up and finish it.
--
     ____
 Y_,_|[]|   Eric Mulholland