[comp.sys.apple2] Zip, Startup Test, Tool 35b2, DragonWars GS

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (01/30/91)

Is the Zip GSX capable of passing the startup tests at 100%. Mine does
not( gives System Bad and error 0204FF00 one time and 0C000005
another time).

However, when I turn the Zip off the tests pass!

I am still using 5.0.2, and I bought DragonWars GS. Every time I play it
(and this is a VERY good program) with tool35b2, the GS really crashes
some short time later.

This problem did not seem to happen with the TWGS( others did, like heat).
Any possibility that the settings could cause this?

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu

[slot2= Audio Animator, Zip GSX( 8MHz,16k) in 4, Apple DMA in 7, Harris
memory Simm card )]

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan30.082453.23807@utstat.uucp> philip@.uucp.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:
>Is the Zip GSX capable of passing the startup tests at 100%. Mine does
>not( gives System Bad and error 0204FF00 one time and 0C000005
>another time).
>
>However, when I turn the Zip off the tests pass!

The manual clearly states that having the the thing on WILL cause this
error. This is normal. Look again in your manual.

--
Dave Whitney
Computer Science MIT 1990	| I wrote Z-Link and BinSCII. Send me bug

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan30.082453.23807@utstat.uucp> philip@.uucp.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:
|Is the Zip GSX capable of passing the startup tests at 100%. Mine does
|not( gives System Bad and error 0204FF00 one time and 0C000005
|another time).
|
|However, when I turn the Zip off the tests pass!

I assume you mean the control-OA-Option-Reset startup test, right? If so,
the test won't pass at full speed. I believe one of the tests measures the
timing of something, and it gets screwed up if the processor is running faster
than it should. Check the Zip HS stack... there's a switch somewhere that
will let the GS pass the test.

|I am still using 5.0.2, and I bought DragonWars GS. Every time I play it
|(and this is a VERY good program) with tool35b2, the GS really crashes
|some short time later.

Dunno about that...

plucky.duck@pro-midnightex.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) (02/03/91)

>Is the Zip GSX capable of passing the startup tests at 100%.  Mine does
>not( gives System Bad and error 0204FF00 one time and 0C000005
>another time).

Well, read your documentation that came with the card.  It plainly states that
with the ZipGSX activated, the system will NOT pass those two tests.

PLine:  plucky.duck@pro-midnightex / tg.exc@pro-harvest| The Toxic Revenger! |
INET:   plucky.duck@pro-midnightex.cts.com             |----------------------
UUCP:   crash!pro-midnightex!plucky.duck               |   Saddam Hussein,   |
ARPA:   crash!pro-midnightex!plucky.duck@nosc.mil      |    kiss my butt!    |
BITNET: plucky.duck%pro-midnightex.cts.com@nosc.mil    |IRAQ SUCKS IRAQ SUCKS|