[comp.sys.apple2] IIgs UNIX?

cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp (Matthew Curtin) (01/31/91)

Hello:-)

I was wondering if anyone has been hearing roumors (as I have) about a
version of UNIX for the IIgs.  I noticed that the comp.sys.IIgs.unix (or
whatever it was called) is gone, so I assumed that it was just a roumor.
Can anyone enlighten me?

| C. Matthew Curtin             ! "This is a strange game.  The only way to   |
| P.O. Box 27081                ! win is not to play."  -Joshua               |
| Columbus, OH 43227-0081       !---------------------------------------------|
| cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp _______!______________Apple_II_Forever!______________|

rsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Roby Sherman) (02/01/91)

In <8s4mw3w163w@bluemoon.uucp> cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp (Matthew Curtin) writes:

>I was wondering if anyone has been hearing roumors (as I have) about a
>version of UNIX for the IIgs.  I noticed that the comp.sys.IIgs.unix (or
>whatever it was called) is gone, so I assumed that it was just a roumor.
>Can anyone enlighten me?

Nope... Sorry, pure rumor. You'd probably have a better chance of getting
Minix on a IIgs than UNIX.

-- Robes

--
Roby Sherman      |Internet : rsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
//Interealm\\     +--------------------------------------------------------+

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (02/02/91)

In article <8s4mw3w163w@bluemoon.uucp> cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp (Matthew Curtin) writes:
>I was wondering if anyone has been hearing roumors (as I have) about a
>version of UNIX for the IIgs.

So far as I know (and I probably would have heard about it), there is no
serious effort by anyone who could be expected to succeed to port UNIX
to the Apple IIGS.  There is really not much incentive to do so.  There
IS some point to enhancing the ORCA/APW/etc. environment to support as
wide a range of UNIX-developed applications as possible, thus the
interest in a IIGS "libcurses" and so forth.

In some article rsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Roby Sherman) writes:
>In <8s4mw3w163w@bluemoon.uucp> cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp (Matthew Curtin) writes:
>>I was wondering if anyone has been hearing roumors (as I have) about a
>>version of UNIX for the IIgs.  I noticed that the comp.sys.IIgs.unix (or
>>whatever it was called) is gone, so I assumed that it was just a roumor.
>>Can anyone enlighten me?
>Nope... Sorry, pure rumor. You'd probably have a better chance of getting
>Minix on a IIgs than UNIX.
	You can't call it pure rumor...  Marek Pow<whatever>ski has a
semi-pseudo UNIX running on non GS IIs...

	He says he would/will rewrite it to be completely "real" UNIX if/when
he gets a GS..  Also, there have been other people talking about writing GS
UNIX.. So it's not completely a rumor, even though it's not really in the
stages of being written.
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. /

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (02/02/91)

In article <11794@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

[more on Unix for the GS,etc...]

Forget about Unix on the GS. Maybe a few of the utilities, but by and
large it is a waste of time. There are more important things to do, such
as TeX, a decent communications'(desktop) program, a tektronics' emulator,
etc...

If you want Unix, get a NeXT. It has wonderful sound like the GS, and comes
with a lot of very useful software. Besides, I bought one and I'd like to
see people writing interesting "GS like" software for it( i.e. more personal,
games, music,etc...).

Philip McDunnough

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (02/04/91)

>         You can't call it pure rumor...  Marek Pow<whatever>ski has a
> semi-pseudo UNIX running on non GS IIs...

    That's 'Pawlowski', by the way... ;)  Couldn't you say the UNIX shell
available for the GS is a 'semi-pseudo UNIX'?  I guess the source code for the
commands could be ported to 8-bit Apple II's.  However, just having a few
commands online doesn't mean you have UNIX.

Brian T. Tao  {taob@pnet91.cts.com} ||  Computer guru?  Someone who got
University of Metro Toronto         ||  their computer a couple of weeks
Scarberia, ON, MIC 3A8         *B-) ||  before you did.  (Alvin Toffler)