[comp.sys.apple2] Another Apple II Supporter Turns Away

bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) (02/01/91)

Well it appears that another company that has always told of their total
and complete support for the Apple II market has begun to follow Insider
Magazine.. It the latest issue (Feb-March 1991) The newspaper ENHANCE
published by Quality Computers, and containing their latest mail order
catalog is suddenly full of Mac and IBM software in addition to Apple II
items. In addition, for the first time I notice they are even selling
Mac computers in addition to Apple and clones. Most of the stories in the
paper are still Apple II, but I am sure that will change just as the
products they sell has now changed. It appears this is being done under
the guise of now going after the "educational" market.

I must assume that they are no longer interested in the home user and
small business Apple II markets. It seems funny however that some of the
software items listed for the Macs and MS-Dos machines are far from being
"educational" in value.

--
   bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu |                         | MCI MAIL:BSHERMAN

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) (02/01/91)

 Well, programs+ and roger coats also sells other
hard/sofware... I hardly see how you can blame them,
the lack of new software cannot make for much volume
sales.

--
Parik Rao, University of California Santa Barbara
6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (02/02/91)

In article <1991Feb01.072319.4123@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) writes:
>catalog is suddenly full of Mac and IBM software in addition to Apple II

Of course; their survival is at stake.  Apple has said that they
plan no new Apple II models, and they have made it abundantly clear
through their marketing actions that they really don't want people
buying Apple IIs unless they cannot be persuaded to buy Macintoshes,
in which case some Apple dealers may reluctantly sell them Apple IIs.
Apple has also made it clear that IIGS applications are not in their
"bridge" plans to migrate Apple II users to the Macintosh.  In the
face of such evidence, naturally the software market and their users
are abandoning the Apple II for the Macintosh, or PC clones (which
are much more widely used than Macintoshes).

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (02/02/91)

In article <15044@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <1991Feb01.072319.4123@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) writes:
>>catalog is suddenly full of Mac and IBM software in addition to Apple II
>
>Of course; their survival is at stake.  Apple has said that they
>plan no new Apple II models, and they have made it abundantly clear
>through their marketing actions that they really don't want people
>buying Apple IIs unless they cannot be persuaded to buy Macintoshes,
>in which case some Apple dealers may reluctantly sell them Apple IIs.
>Apple has also made it clear that IIGS applications are not in their
>"bridge" plans to migrate Apple II users to the Macintosh.

Hmm...did Apple officially say that they plan no new Apple II models?
Or did they say that they planned no new Apple II models at this time?
Or did they say that they planned no standalone new Apple II models?
Or did they say that they planned no standalone new Apple II models
at this time?...

Which of the above has been said( or maybe none of the above?)?

As far as Apple making it clear that GS applications are not in any
bridge plans...., what does that mean, who said it, when, etc...

It seems to me that the status of the GS is far from clear. All computer
lines evolve. Has a GS/Mac combination been ruled out?

It seems a little far fetched to imagine schools buying a Mac LC in order
to run IIe software. Why not just buy IIe's and Mac's? Or PC's( they also
run IIe software).

Of course it is also absurd for schools to be using the GS as a IIe at
the current price of a GS( which should be chopped in half).

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (02/04/91)

> Well, programs+ and roger coats also sells other
>hard/sofware... I hardly see how you can blame them,
>the lack of new software cannot make for much volume
>sales.
>
>--
>Parik Rao, University of California Santa Barbara

When I placed my order with Programs Plus (Zip GS and some software), I
suggested that they not advertise Mac stuff in an Apple II magazine (nibble).
The person taking the order was a bit amused, but hopefully they will stop. I
know that they sell Mac stuff, I have seen their ads in MacUser in the past,
but I see no reason to advertise in an Apple II magazine. I am willing to
reconsider if they advertise Apple II stuff in their Mac ads. Just looking for
a little fairness.

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com