[comp.sys.apple2] DOS 3.3 on a 3.5" disk

R1DEC%AKRONVM@VM1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (01/29/91)

I have heard of a program (shareware?) which lets you format a 3.5" diskette
with DOS 3.3.  I have need of it because a friend with a //gs has only a 3.5
drive but has a IRS program in DOS 3.3 on a 5.25.  I have discovered that the
program (written mainly in BASIC but with a binary helper) is not compatible
with PRODOS.  THANKs

v060q267@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (David B Bandish) (01/29/91)

In article <9101282027.AA03006@apple.com>, R1DEC%AKRONVM@VM1.CC.UAKRON.EDU writes...
>I have heard of a program (shareware?) which lets you format a 3.5" diskette
>with DOS 3.3.  I have need of it because a friend with a //gs has only a 3.5
>drive but has a IRS program in DOS 3.3 on a 5.25.  I have discovered that the
>program (written mainly in BASIC but with a binary helper) is not compatible
>with PRODOS.  THANKs

Glen Bredon has a program called DOS Master that will allow you to put DOS 3.3
files on a prodos disk.  It costs $25 at last check.  Some programs still do not
work with it because the drive that they work on is coded into the program.

It is available from:

Glen Bredon
521 State Road
Princeton, NJ 08540
(609) 924-5976

I think it can also be found on some BBS's in a crippled shareware, but I'm not
sure, as I haven't actually seen it, just heard about it.

msuacm@plains.NoDak.edu (MSU ACM Student Chapter) (01/29/91)

There is a program available for around $30 (I think) called UniDOS 3.3.
The last ads I've seen for it were in Nibble - but I haven't checked
there lately.  The program formats your 3.5 into two volumes around
400K each, designated as drive1 and drive3.  It doesn't work for,
everything, especially software that depends on a lot of calls to access
machine language only functions.  But for general use, it has an
unbeatable (almost) storage capacity for DOS 3.3, and works with a lot
of software that's still out there.

Just my $.02 IMHO
Eric Ondler
<msuacm@plains.nodak.edu>

Les_Ferch@MTSG.UBC.CA (01/29/91)

There is also a program from Gary Little called AMDOS that makes two 400K
DOS 3.3 volumes on a 3.5" disk.  My experience with it is that it works,
but disk access is considerably slower than on a 5.25" disk.  I wouldn't
be surprised if all of these "DOS 3.3 on 3.5" programs have the same
problem, but I haven't tried any others.

Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca

mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Michael Heintz) (01/30/91)

I don't know if this will help, but a friend of mine transferred
dos 3.3 programs to proDOS using copy II+.

As stated before, however, some programs won't run because proDOS
and dos 3.3 take up different areas in memory, sometimes a dos3.3
program wants proDOS memory and the system crashes.

I don't think this method works very well (if at all) with games
that booted automatically, however.

Mike
mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu

swiers@plains.NoDak.edu (Mike Swiers ) (01/30/91)

In article <2703888@mtsg.ubc.ca> Les_Ferch@MTSG.UBC.CA writes:
+>There is also a program from Gary Little called AMDOS that makes two 400K
+>DOS 3.3 volumes on a 3.5" disk.  My experience with it is that it works,
+>but disk access is considerably slower than on a 5.25" disk.  I wouldn't
>be surprised if all of these "DOS 3.3 on 3.5" programs have the same
>problem, but I haven't tried any others.
>
>Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca

I havn't messed with DOS 3.3 since about '87, but as I recall, AmDos and the
other one...UniDos, I think it is, really fly with Diversi-Cache or AECache
running.

Mike

quz@neabbs.UUCP (GUUS SCHIJNS) (02/04/91)

There is another program that allows you to format 3.5 disk with dos
3.3 system, called Unidos. However it appears that some dos 3.3
programs have to patches in order to work properly.
Greeting, Guus Schijns