[comp.sys.apple2] Platinum Paint & VOC

alb@cognos.UUCP (Al Belyea) (02/03/91)

Is anyone else using Platinum Paint (v1.0.1) in a machine equipped with a
Video Overlay Card?

I've noticed a couple of problems and I'd like to know if anybody else has
experienced similar ones.

From the Palette Menu, try selecting the Scale option. I believe they
implemented this using 3200-colour techniques, and of course the VOC causes
the display to screw up. It can still be used but it looks ugly.

Secondly, when using Fat Bits and using a Brush Mode like Slide, you'll get
garbage painted on the bottom scroll bar (but it doesn't affect the document),
and your brush disappears in the lower half of the screen. If you bring the
brush in from the top half of the screen, it appears to work OK until you
cross the halfway mark - then it disappears.

Both of these symptoms strongly suggest a collision with the VOC video
hardware. Can anybody confirm this? BTW, I'm running 5.0.4.

--
Allan Belyea              UUCP:                          3755 Riverside Dr.
Cognos Incorporated       alb@cognos                     P.O. Box 9707

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (02/03/91)

alb@cognos.UUCP (Al Belyea) writes:

>Both of these symptoms strongly suggest a collision with the VOC video
>hardware.

It isn't a 'collision' really, just miscoordination.

Run an RCA phono cable between the composite out jack on your GS and the video
input of the VOC, and set the mix control to all graphics for both key and
non-key colors; see if that fixes things.

Pure software solutions are not very likely until somebody figures out how to
get scan-line interrupts off of the VOC itself (or Apple tells us how).

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

alb@cognos.UUCP (Al Belyea) (02/04/91)

>input of the VOC, and set the mix control to all graphics for both key and
>non-key colors; see if that fixes things.
>
>Pure software solutions are not very likely until somebody figures out how to
>get scan-line interrupts off of the VOC itself (or Apple tells us how).
>
>Todd Whitesel
>toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

Thanks Todd, I'll give that a try.

Actually, I think Beagle Bros, should take the VOC into account and try and
work around it if possible. For example, the SCALE option should give a warning
or have a different implementation if the software finds that a VOC is installed
in the machine. It would be more work, but I don't think they can ignore the
fact that a lot of people who will have their software will also probably have
a VOC. After all its the best paint program around, and the people with VOCs
want to be able to create great graphics for their overlay projects.

I guess I'll submit a bug report to them.