[comp.sys.apple2] Extended memory for IIGS

carnahan@inljeff.den.mmc.com (Rich Carnahan) (01/30/91)

Given several recent events, not the least of which is the imminent
release of HypercardGS, I've decided to bite the bullet and extend
the memory for my GS.  Currently, I have an AE GS Ram (1.5 meg) card.
Now I understand that AE produces an Expander card which will allow
me to up that to 3.5 meg (2 meg on the expander).  However, in looking
at the price of such ($239 from Roger Coats), it seems awfully silly
to limit myself to only 3 meg when it appears that several other
options are more useful.

What I would like are some opinions re: best buys, quality, etc. on
memory expansion.  In reviewing the prices from November to now, it
appears that memory is getting awfully cheap (e.g., in November,
Programs Plus ran an ad for the GS Sauce card with 4 meg at $459; in
February, it's $259; AE's GS-Ram Plus with 3 meg went from $509 to
$268).

Any advice, testimonials, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Rich

--------------> rich <-------------- (carnahan@inljeff.den.mmc.com)

Martin Marietta Astronautics Group
Box 1260
MS XL8058
Denver, Colorado 80201-1260

(303) 971-7981

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (01/31/91)

I am thinking of a 0k GS sauce card from Harris labs. It uses Mac SIMMS and
can hold up to 4Meg of DMA (right?) compatible memory. Locally, 1Meg SIMMS are
$79, but american mail order can be had for $60 after taxes and currency
changes. This will likely be my choice in the future, but a Zip is the current
drain on my plastic. Wish it were possible to use my 1Meg Apple card in a slot
somehow, hate wasting the thing.

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

In article <427@generic.UUCP> ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) writes:
>I am thinking of a 0k GS sauce card from Harris labs. It uses Mac SIMMS and

	Sorry, but this is one of the (relatively few) things that bug
me..

	There is no such thing as "Mac SIMMS".. There are 1 meg * 8
and 1 meg * 9 SIMMS (and probably other variations)..
	The 1 meg * 8 ones are used by rational people, and the 1 meg * 9
ones are used by IBM and other people who seem to want to 'waste'
extra bits for hardware parity.

	{Other things that bug me are simple English language errors, such
as people who mix up "their," "they're," and "there."  Really annoying...
I could probably come up with many more but it's not like anyone cares..
And note, I'm not picking on simple colloquialisms of grammar and word choice,
I'm picking on deep syntactical errors}

--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. /

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/31/91)

In article <11737@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>In article <427@generic.UUCP> ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) writes:
>>I am thinking of a 0k GS sauce card from Harris labs. It uses Mac SIMMS and
>
>	Sorry, but this is one of the (relatively few) things that bug
>me..
>
>	There is no such thing as "Mac SIMMS".. There are 1 meg * 8
>and 1 meg * 9 SIMMS (and probably other variations)..
>	The 1 meg * 8 ones are used by rational people, and the 1 meg * 9
>ones are used by IBM and other people who seem to want to 'waste'
>extra bits for hardware parity.

True, but they could be called Mac SIMMS, after all, they're SIMMS and they're
used in a Mac. I think the parity thing is pretty stupid too. It is useful
in some situations, but people shouldn't be forced to pay extra money if the
extra RAM is just for parity. Having parity memory as an option would be nice
though. Doesn't the NextStation or something have something like that? Or
was it the Mac IIfx. Well, one of the workstation types (or supposedly
workstation type in the fx's case :-) is supposed to have parity memory as
an option.

>	{Other things that bug me are simple English language errors, such
>as people who mix up "their," "they're," and "there."  Really annoying...
>I could probably come up with many more but it's not like anyone cares..
>And note, I'm not picking on simple colloquialisms of grammar and word choice,
>I'm picking on deep syntactical errors}

Oh, in that case, "True, but they could be called Mac SIMMs, after all, their
SIMMS and there used in a Mac." :-) Just kidding!!!!

>--
>/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
>\WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. /

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          |     "My ganglion is stuck in

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (02/01/91)

In article <11737@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>	The 1 meg * 8 ones are used by rational people, and the 1 meg * 9
>ones are used by IBM and other people who seem to want to 'waste'
>extra bits for hardware parity.

Memory error detection is not irrational, it's essential for anyone
who cares about the validity of the computations.  Indeed, real
computers go so far as to correct errors as well as detect them.

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (02/04/91)

Aside from the Harris GS memory card, which computer other than the Mac use
1Meg x8 SIMMs?

I called them Mac SIMMs for conciseness, and also to give people a hint that
looking in a Mac mag for memory prices might get them a better deal than in
Apple II mags.

I have often wondered what happens when an IBM parity check fails. It must
happen fairly regularly or else they would have included the feature right?
Anyone know?

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (02/04/91)

In article <442@generic.UUCP> ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) writes:
>Aside from the Harris GS memory card, which computer other than the Mac use
>1Meg x8 SIMMs?

All the NeXT's do. As with some of the Mac's, they do have the option of
using parity checking(1x9).

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu