[comp.sys.apple2] System folder auxtype

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (01/27/91)

    A question was recently raised on a local user group BBS.  Why does the
GS/OS System folder have an auxiliary type $0002 instead of just $0000 like
normal folders.  Don't say "so it gets the little Apple design on the icon"
because you can edit the icon file to anything you want.  I've changed the
auxtype to $0000 without any harmful side-effects.  Does A2 DTS have something
planned for this special auxtype?

Brian T. Tao  {taob@pnet91.cts.com} ||  Computer guru?  Someone who got
University of Metro Toronto         ||  their computer a couple of weeks
Scarberia, ON, MIC 3A8         *B-) ||  before you did.  (Alvin Toffler)

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (01/28/91)

In article <414@generic.UUCP> taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) writes:

>    A question was recently raised on a local user group BBS.  Why does the
>GS/OS System folder have an auxiliary type $0002 instead of just $0000 like
>normal folders.  Don't say "so it gets the little Apple design on the icon"
>because you can edit the icon file to anything you want.  I've changed the
>auxtype to $0000 without any harmful side-effects.  Does A2 DTS have something
>planned for this special auxtype?

I believe the System folder itself, on disk, has an auxiliary type of zero.
The Finder *pretends* internally that the System folder on your boot disk
has auxiliary type $0002 for Icon matching purposes.

This would explain why changing the auxiliary type had no effect for you;
it was already 0, and the Finder ignores the real auxiliary type.

(Folder auxiliary types are generally insignificant and should not be
counted on.  Not all file systems have a place to store them!)
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II System Software Engineer         |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (01/29/91)

From dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons):

> I believe the System folder itself, on disk, has an auxiliary type of
> zero. The Finder *pretends* internally that the System folder on your
> boot disk has auxiliary type $0002 for Icon matching purposes.
>
> This would explain why changing the auxiliary type had no effect for
> you; it was already 0, and the Finder ignores the real auxiliary type.
>
> (Folder auxiliary types are generally insignificant and should not be
> counted on.  Not all file systems have a place to store them!)

    No, I checked in Prosel-16 and again in BASIC.System (I have a patch which
shows the auxtype of all files).  The System folder is indeed auxtype $0002 on
disk.  Just to make sure, I used Block Warden to look at the actual directory
entry on disk.  As far as I can see, it is $0002.

    Is there some place we could send bug reports/suggestions for the Finder?
I sent e-mail to Andy at shrinkit@apple.com, but I don't know if it reached
him...

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (02/05/91)

In article <420@generic.UUCP> taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) writes:
>No, I checked in Prosel-16 and again in BASIC.System (I have a patch which
>shows the auxtype of all files).  The System folder is indeed auxtype $0002 on
>disk.  Just to make sure, I used Block Warden to look at the actual directory
>entry on disk.  As far as I can see, it is $0002.

Okay, I believe you, *your* System folder has auxiliary type 2.  But mine
doesn't, and we don't sh it that way.  The Finder ignores the actual
auxiliary type of the folder and pretends it's $0002 for icon matching
purposes.

>Is there some place we could send bug reports/suggestions for the Finder?
>I sent e-mail to Andy at shrinkit@apple.com, but I don't know if it reached
>him...

He probably got it.  Feel free to cc: me too, and I'll bug him about it if
I like the ideas....