[comp.sys.apple2] advanced prodos 8 quit call

acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (ACMFIU) (01/29/91)

There are supposedly two prodos 8 quit calls. one just lets you quit back to
whatever and the other lets you quit and then specify a pathname of the next
application to run.

how to i do the latter quit call?

alberT

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (02/05/91)

In article <2070@kluge.fiu.edu> acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (ACMFIU) writes:
>There are supposedly two prodos 8 quit calls. one just lets you quit back to
>whatever and the other lets you quit and then specify a pathname of the next
>application to run.
>
>how to i do the latter quit call?
>
>alberT

We *think* this is available from the "ProDOS 8 Update" at APDA; it will
also be in the next version of DTS's Q&A stack, and it's on page 60 of
the old ProDOS 16 Reference.

Any way, the parameter count = 4, next byte = $EE, next word points to the
pathname of the application to launch next.  The high bits are actually
used in this path, so don't have them on by accident.  The last 3 bytes
in the parameter list should be zero.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II System Software Engineer         |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET ("Throop,Henry B") (02/05/91)

[ACMFIU asks about P8 quit call to launch next application, rather than going
to standard quit code]

Dave Lyons writes:

>Any way, the parameter count =4, next byte = $EE, next word points to the
> pathname of the application to launch.
 [...]

Is the enhanced quit now actually a part of ProDOS 8?  I may be wrong, but I
thought that at least in previous versions it only worked from P8 if launched
from P16 or GS/OS.  If you just booted P8, you had to do all the loading of
next application and all that manually.

Henry
--
Henry Throop