[comp.sys.apple2] Pcs And Apples

sehrlich@lynx.northeastern.edu (02/01/91)

Does anyone know if it is possible to connect an MS-DOS floppy or hard
disk drive to a ][c, and have the ][c fully acknowledge it and be able
to utilize it?

Thanks.

Scott [sehrlich@lynx.northeastern.edu]

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (02/04/91)

>Does anyone know if it is possible to connect an MS-DOS floppy or hard
>disk drive to a ][c, and have the ][c fully acknowledge it and be able
>to utilize it?

Yes. A friend used an internal IBM half height drive on his II+ clone without
difficulty. The company provided a cable to connect to the Disk ][ controller.
He never had any problems with it. a few years back he got a new caable to
connect it to his //c. He left the cardboard wrapping around the drive to
protect the inards somewhat. Funny to look at, but it never gave any problems.

Last year he bought a clone to put around the drive.

I suppose that it is theoretically possible to build a ST506 controller for an
Apple II bus, but I have not heard of any. Most people get SCSI drives
nowadays, even IBM'ers.

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

Gene.Humbert@p0.f551.n5000.z200.METRONET.ORG (Gene Humbert) (02/05/91)

In a message to All <02-03-91 16:37> Neal Rauhauser -- Elt Computer Appl wrote:

>    I don't believe a word of it. I've only seen one PC with a scsi
>disk and I've worked on a lot of them. (And that one I had
>to build it myself!)

Strange...       I have this WD scsi card in my PC now... has a 49 meg drive
attached to it... am I doing something wrong?  It seems to work!

--- ZMailQ 1.12 (QuickBBS)
 * Origin: The Phoenix's Egg (303)287-8267 (200:5000/551.0)

Gene Humbert - via MetroNet node 200:5000/301
The Bohemia BBS System, Boulder Colorado (303)449-8946
UUCP:  Gene.Humbert@p0.f551.n5000.z200.METRONET.ORG
 or :  ...!boulder!bohemia.METRONET.ORG!551.0!Gene.Humbert