[comp.sys.apple2] Hard disk as startup

vulture@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Ron Helwig) (02/03/91)

        I just got a 90 Meg hard drive and the high speed SCSI card.
My problem is trying to get it to be the startup drive. I have tried
to use the installer to install the system software, but it keeps
giving me an error like:
        Source:System/CDEV/Modem
        Dest:System/CDEV/Modem
                File Not Found

Of course it's not found. I don't want it, Don't have it on either
disk (System.disk or SystemHD), and I don't have enough room on
the floppy to add it anyway.
        When I have tried to boot from it, I get the startup screen,
but it is a little garbled. The thermometer fills up, then nothing
happens.
        My system: ROM1, Datalink 2400 (2), 1.25 Meg, SCSI card (7)

        I can boot from the floppy, but I got the hard drive so I
could have enough stuff on my startup disk (as well as speed up
the startup). Some Programs will not run from the hard disk.

        If you have any ideas that might help me, please do tell me.
                        Thanks

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!vulture
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!vulture@nosc.mil
INET: vulture@pnet51.orb.mn.org

In article <3981@orbit.cts.com> vulture@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Ron Helwig) writes:
>I have tried
>to use the installer to install the system software, but it keeps
>giving me an error like:
>        Source:System/CDEV/Modem
>        Dest:System/CDEV/Modem
>                File Not Found
>
>Of course it's not found. I don't want it, Don't have it on either
>disk (System.disk or SystemHD), and I don't have enough room on
>the floppy to add it anyway.

	Well, the Installer is very very picky... But not irrationally
so. (At least not completely irrationally)

	I suggest you keep a 'virgin' system disk, and then have another
one that you have done with whatever you want..

	That is sort of moot since you have a hard drive and won't be
booting off of floppy often, but you will have to get a virgin copy of
the System Disk to formally Install everything..

	You -could- just copy your whole System Disk to the hard drive,
although people always suggest you don't do that...
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. /

benji@euler.Berkeley.EDU (Benji Rudiak-Gould) (02/05/91)

In article <11851@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>	You -could- just copy your whole System Disk to the hard drive,
>although people always suggest you don't do that...

Why is this?  Currently I don't use the installer, because 1) I don't want
to entrust my hard drive to a strange program; 2) I can never figure out
what scripts I do and don't want to use, but with the Finder I can pick and
choose; 3) There are warnings in some of the scripts saying that they
delete certain other files "to make room," which of course I don't want;
and 4) I have several patched system files which I don't want to replace,
since that would mean patching them again.  Is there really a reason why I
should use the Installer, or do people just not trust other people to know what
they're doing?

--                       {_ "It's not how high you are, _}   Disclaimer:
Ben Rudiak-Gould          _}  it's Hi, how are you?"   {_  Opinions are mine...
benji@euler.berkeley.edu {_        -- Mike Sugarbaker   _} Mine... ALL MINE!!!!
___________________________}___________________________{   HA HA HAAA HAAAAAA!!

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (02/05/91)

In article <10779@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> benji@euler.Berkeley.EDU (Benji Rudiak-Gould) writes:
|In article <11851@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
|>
|>	You -could- just copy your whole System Disk to the hard drive,
|>although people always suggest you don't do that...
|
|Why is this?  Currently I don't use the installer, because 1) I don't want
|to entrust my hard drive to a strange program; 2) I can never figure out
|what scripts I do and don't want to use, but with the Finder I can pick and
|choose; 3) There are warnings in some of the scripts saying that they
|delete certain other files "to make room," which of course I don't want;
|and 4) I have several patched system files which I don't want to replace,
|since that would mean patching them again.  Is there really a reason why I
|should use the Installer, or do people just not trust other people to know what
|they're doing?

I don't use the Installer myself, but I think what you're doing is very
dangerous (kids, don't try this at home!). When you get a new version of the
System Disk, those System files are very likely to be different than the ones
you have on your HD (after all, if they were the same, it wouldn't be an update)
Installing some files and keeping patched versions of older files is A Bad
Thing. I just use the Finder and GS/OS TN #1 to find out what files I need to
copy over and then copy _ALL_ of them.

|--                       {_ "It's not how high you are, _}   Disclaimer:
|Ben Rudiak-Gould          _}  it's Hi, how are you?"   {_  Opinions are mine...
|benji@euler.berkeley.edu {_        -- Mike Sugarbaker   _} Mine... ALL MINE!!!!
|___________________________}___________________________{   HA HA HAAA HAAAAAA!!

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          |     "My ganglion is stuck in

platkus@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Shawn W Platkus) (02/05/91)

In article <10779@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> benji@euler.Berkeley.EDU (Benji Rudiak-Gould) writes:
>In article <11851@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>>
>>	You -could- just copy your whole System Disk to the hard drive,
>>although people always suggest you don't do that...
>
>Why is this?  Currently I don't use the installer, because 1) I don't want
>to entrust my hard drive to a strange program; 2) I can never figure out
>what scripts I do and don't want to use, but with the Finder I can pick and
>choose; 3) There are warnings in some of the scripts saying that they
>delete certain other files "to make room," which of course I don't want;
>and 4) I have several patched system files which I don't want to replace,
>since that would mean patching them again.  Is there really a reason why I
>should use the Installer, or do people just not trust other people to know what
>they're doing?

I used to not use the Installer either for the same reasons.  I thought
that apple created it so that people who didn't know how to copy a file could
easily install the system software.
	Well, after I got system disk 5.0.3 I wanted to put it on my Hard drive.
When I was looking through it I thought that it would be a pain to do, and it
would've, but then I remembered the Installer.  I looked through the Installer's
scripts and figured out exactly what it did and what files it removed and
added. Basically, it only removes the old files that it is going to update.
The only thing that I keep a backup of is my Finder Icons, because I have
directly modified that file.  After Installing the Latest System Files, I
simply add back on my Icons files.  I would highly recomend using the installer
unless you are super familiar with exactly what system files you need.
	I installed 5.0.2 myself, and I could never get postscript files to
be created on the GS.  When I used the Installer with 5.0.3 and 5.0.4 I just
picked LaserWriter, and it put files on that I hadn't thought of, and
printing postscript files then worked.
	I don't know what system files you would have modified though, but
is it really that hard to remodify the new ones?

Platkus