[comp.sys.apple2] Reordering GS/OS directories

neufeld@physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) (01/20/91)

   Can anybody provide me with the name of an FTPable program which can
reorder GS/OS directories? I'll be getting ProSel soon, can it do that?
I'd like to optimize boot sequences by putting the relevant programs
near to the beginning of the directory, and to alphabetize directories
so that it's easier to find things from the Finder (yes, I know I can
view by filename, I'd rather not).
Thanks.

--
 Christopher Neufeld....Just a graduate student  | "Shtarker! Zis is KAOS!
 neufeld@helios.physics.utoronto.ca    Ad astra! | Vee do not 'yippee yo

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (01/20/91)

In article <1991Jan19.113613.14192@helios.physics.utoronto.ca> neufeld@physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) writes:
>   Can anybody provide me with the name of an FTPable program which can
>reorder GS/OS directories?

The simplest way to do this is to move everything out of the directory,
then move them back in in the order that you want.

neufeld@physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) (01/21/91)

In article <14910@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <1991Jan19.113613.14192@helios.physics.utoronto.ca> neufeld@physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) writes:
>>   Can anybody provide me with the name of an FTPable program which can
>>reorder GS/OS directories?
>
>The simplest way to do this is to move everything out of the directory,
>then move them back in in the order that you want.

   Oh boy, wouldn't this be fun! I just spent a full day transferring
files to my new cartridge drive, and then after the whole thing was
finished I decided I wanted to make it boot into ProDOS8, with a BASIC
program which could run the system disk file originally named "PRODOS"
to launch the Finder. Now, that file, "PRODOS2" is at the end of the 20+
files catalog. Not only does this slow the boot down imperceptibly, but
the new BYE routine in ProDOS8 doesn't let you wrap around the top and
bottom of the list, so selecting that program takes some time while I
arrow down the whole list. So, move everything out of the root directory
of my 45MB drive (70% full) and copy them back, one by one? Don't forget
that the subdirectories are more or less ordered the way I want them, so
I could find myself copying individual files through the Finder until
next May. The Finder makes no effort to preserve the order of files
inside subdirectories when the subdirectory is being copied.
   Thanks, but I'll buy ProSel-16 and do it the easy way.

--
 Christopher Neufeld....Just a graduate student  | "Shtarker! Zis is KAOS!
 neufeld@helios.physics.utoronto.ca    Ad astra! | Vee do not 'yippee yo
 cneufeld@{pnet91,pro-cco}.cts.com               | kye aye' here!"
 "Don't edit reality for the sake of simplicity" |      Siegfried of KAOS

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (01/21/91)

Copy II Plus with alphabetize them for you, but DON'T USE IT, as it will also
trash your directory.  It forgets to fix the links from block to block.

 - Andrew.

     (aabenson@balance.cs.mtu.edu     or     aabenson@mtu.edu)

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan20.123020.26408@helios.physics.utoronto.ca> neufeld@physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) writes:
>In article <14910@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>In article <1991Jan19.113613.14192@helios.physics.utoronto.ca> neufeld@physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) writes:
>>>   Can anybody provide me with the name of an FTPable program which can
>>>reorder GS/OS directories?
>>The simplest way to do this is to move everything out of the directory,
>>then move them back in in the order that you want.
>... So, move everything out of the root directory
>of my 45MB drive (70% full) and copy them back, one by one?

No, in fact the recommended procedure is so simple that I wonder why
you don't see how to do it.  Make a NEW subdirectory, move everything
in one fell swoop to that (trivial using the Finder), open the
subdirectory folder, move everything that you are particularly
concerned about back to the root in the desired order, then move the
rest all at once.  If it takes you more than one minute you're doing
something horribly wrong.

jpenne@ee.ualberta.ca (Jerry Penner) (01/23/91)

In article <14925@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <1991Jan20.123020.26408@helios.physics.utoronto.ca> neufeld@physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) writes:
>>>The simplest way to do this is to move everything out of the directory,
>>>then move them back in in the order that you want.
>>... So, move everything out of the root directory
>>of my 45MB drive (70% full) and copy them back, one by one?
>
>No, in fact the recommended procedure is so simple that I wonder why
>you don't see how to do it.  Make a NEW subdirectory, move everything
>in one fell swoop to that (trivial using the Finder), open the
>subdirectory folder, move everything that you are particularly
>concerned about back to the root in the desired order, then move the
>rest all at once.  If it takes you more than one minute you're doing
>something horribly wrong.

Ack!  What a horrible way to do it.  Not everyone is going to have
the Orca Shell (the text one) but it has a command to swap two directory
entries (as well as a command to sort directories).

The problem with copying files is that if you have lots (>100) files,it
is going to take over a minutes if you need a bunch of things in specific
orders.  What we need (and I don't think it exists, unless Prosel can do
it (and I don't have prosel and have never seen it)) is a program
that lets you do arbitrary file swaps.  On ANY size directory.
--
-------------
    Jerry Penner	alberta!bode!jpenne	Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

bazyar@ernie (Jawaid Bazyar) (01/23/91)

In article <1991Jan23.051226.28901@ee.ualberta.ca> jpenne@ee.ualberta.ca (Jerry Penner) writes:

>The problem with copying files is that if you have lots (>100) files,it
>is going to take over a minutes if you need a bunch of things in specific
>orders.  What we need (and I don't think it exists, unless Prosel can do
>it (and I don't have prosel and have never seen it)) is a program
>that lets you do arbitrary file swaps.  On ANY size directory.

  Note that Doug said "move" not "copy". Moving a file with the finder
to a different directory on the same disk takes a minimal amount of time-
only the directory entry is messed with, not the file.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | Girl don't stop the screamin',
Senior/Computer Engineering |  you're sounding so sincere

neufeld@physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) (01/24/91)

In article <14925@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <1991Jan20.123020.26408@helios.physics.utoronto.ca> neufeld@physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) writes:
>>>The simplest way to do this is to move everything out of the directory,
>>>then move them back in in the order that you want.
>>... So, move everything out of the root directory
>>of my 45MB drive (70% full) and copy them back, one by one?
>
>No, in fact the recommended procedure is so simple that I wonder why
>you don't see how to do it.  Make a NEW subdirectory, move everything
>in one fell swoop to that (trivial using the Finder), open the
>subdirectory folder, move everything that you are particularly
>concerned about back to the root in the desired order, then move the
>rest all at once.  If it takes you more than one minute you're doing
>something horribly wrong.

   Well, it's not that easy. Actually, if the ORCA/C shell can handle
forked files, I can copy files with it. One example of a folder with
files which I would want to have ordered properly is my Fonts folder,
and there are over a hundred files in it alone. The Finder doesn't
preserve the order of files when copying, so copying the fonts folder
with it would scramble the order. It can be done, but it will take
considerably longer than a minute. Even after moving the system files, I
need two new spaces between the system files and the application
folders. The first two application folders go several subdirectories
deep, and are already ordered properly. I'd have to copy them file by
file. Anyway, it's not critical at the moment, just annoying, to have
the files out of order. I need ProSel anyway, and the procedure you
describe would take considerably more than a minute.
   ORCA/C has a command to reorder directories, but it doesn't work on
hard disks, only on disks formatted with the ProDOS FST. I tried it, it
works on a 5"1/4 or 3"1/2 floppy, but not on my hard drive.

--

In article <1991Jan23.064003.591@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> bazyar@cs.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) writes:
>In article <1991Jan23.051226.28901@ee.ualberta.ca> jpenne@ee.ualberta.ca (Jerry Penner) writes:
>
>>The problem with copying files is that if you have lots (>100) files,it
>>is going to take over a minutes if you need a bunch of things in specific
>>orders.  What we need (and I don't think it exists, unless Prosel can do
>>it (and I don't have prosel and have never seen it)) is a program
>>that lets you do arbitrary file swaps.  On ANY size directory.
>
>  Note that Doug said "move" not "copy". Moving a file with the finder
>to a different directory on the same disk takes a minimal amount of time-
>only the directory entry is messed with, not the file.

   Aagh, you're right. I forgot about that feature. Sorry, Doug, I take
back my objection.

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (01/24/91)

In article <1991Jan23.051226.28901@ee.ualberta.ca> jpenne@ee.ualberta.ca (Jerry Penner) writes:
>The problem with copying files is that if you have lots (>100) files,it
>is going to take over a minutes if you need a bunch of things in specific
>orders.

I suggested MOVING the files, not COPYING them.  Using the Finder, this
is a trivial operation that doesn't take very long even for dozens of files.
The time you have to take to specify the desired ordering when you restore
the files to the original directory will be similar no matter what approach
you use.

I've actually done this myself; it really is not very much of a hassle.

phs172m@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Stephen Harker) (01/24/91)

In article <1991Jan23.122800.6390@helios.physics.utoronto.ca>, neufeld@physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) writes:
>    ORCA/C has a command to reorder directories, but it doesn't work on
> hard disks, only on disks formatted with the ProDOS FST. I tried it, it
> works on a 5"1/4 or 3"1/2 floppy, but not on my hard drive.

	Actually the ORCA shell command to reorder directories works on any
disk, it just won't work on your boot disk (the system has a file open always).
So if you want to use this command on a hard disk just boot from a floppy!
Works like a dream.

--
Stephen Harker				phs172m@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Monash University

ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan23.122800.6390@helios.physics.utoronto.ca> neufeld@physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) writes:
>   ORCA/C has a command to reorder directories, but it doesn't work on
>hard disks, only on disks formatted with the ProDOS FST. I tried it, it
>works on a 5"1/4 or 3"1/2 floppy, but not on my hard drive.

Gee, how do you have your hard disk formatted? With the HFS FST? :-)
There are only 4 FSTs right now, ProDOS, Character, AppleShare and High
Sierra. Character and High Sierra won't work on a HD, and AppleShare is for
file servers (currently for Macs only, I think). So, I'm almost positive
your HD is formatted with the Prodos FST.

>--
> Christopher Neufeld....Just a graduate student  | "Shtarker! Zis is KAOS!
> neufeld@helios.physics.utoronto.ca    Ad astra! | Vee do not 'yippee yo
> cneufeld@{pnet91,pro-cco}.cts.com               | kye aye' here!"
> "Don't edit reality for the sake of simplicity" |      Siegfried of KAOS

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu        |     "My ganglion is stuck in

rhood@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Robert Hood) (01/25/91)

Re: rearranging ProDOS directories

Nibble magazine published a "directory designer" that does just this task.  As
I recall, Copy II Plus 9.0 can also manage this.  If those programs elude you,
it should be fairly (!) simple to load a directory into memory and manually
shift the entries.  After all, the entries are of fixed length and start at
fixed locations....
----
ProLine:  rhood@pro-gsplus
Internet: rhood@pro-gsplus.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-gsplus!rhood
ARPA:     crash!pro-gsplus!rhood@nosc.mil

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/25/91)

In article <7201@crash.cts.com> rhood@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Robert Hood) writes:

>Re: rearranging ProDOS directories
>
>Nibble magazine published a "directory designer" that does just this task.  As
>I recall, Copy II Plus 9.0 can also manage this.  If those programs elude you,
>it should be fairly (!) simple to load a directory into memory and manually
>shift the entries.  After all, the entries are of fixed length and start at
>fixed locations....

BTW, was the original poster wanting to reorder the directory entries or
reorder the files themselves? I thought that I remembered him(her?) saying
that it took a long time to boot up since the boot files were at the end
of the cartridge, and the head had to seek around a lot.
Doing something like this would require more than rearranging directory
entries. Norton Speed Disk does this on the IBM's (and Macs too?). Does anyone
know if BeachComber in ProSel does this?

neufeld@physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) (01/25/91)

In article <43109@ut-emx.uucp> ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:
>In article <1991Jan23.122800.6390@helios.physics.utoronto.ca> neufeld@physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) writes:
>>   ORCA/C has a command to reorder directories, but it doesn't work on
>>hard disks, only on disks formatted with the ProDOS FST. I tried it, it
>>works on a 5"1/4 or 3"1/2 floppy, but not on my hard drive.
>
>Gee, how do you have your hard disk formatted? With the HFS FST? :-)
>There are only 4 FSTs right now, ProDOS, Character, AppleShare and High
>Sierra. Character and High Sierra won't work on a HD, and AppleShare is for
>file servers (currently for Macs only, I think). So, I'm almost positive
>your HD is formatted with the Prodos FST.

   I had a sneaky feeling I'd be putting my foot in my mouth with this
one. The logic I used was, ORCA says I can't change the directory,
manual warns that it only works with ProDOS FST, therefore my directory
isn't initialized with the ProDOS FST, Q.E.D.
   I heard through e-mail, though, that the ORCA command won't work on
active directories, either, and so you'd have to boot off a floppy to
change the order of files in some of the directories.

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/26/91)

In article <1991Jan25.104821.5870@helios.physics.utoronto.ca> neufeld@physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) writes:
|In article <43109@ut-emx.uucp> ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:
|>In article <1991Jan23.122800.6390@helios.physics.utoronto.ca> neufeld@physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) writes:
|>>   ORCA/C has a command to reorder directories, but it doesn't work on
|>>hard disks, only on disks formatted with the ProDOS FST. I tried it, it
|>>works on a 5"1/4 or 3"1/2 floppy, but not on my hard drive.
|>
|>Gee, how do you have your hard disk formatted? With the HFS FST? :-)
|>There are only 4 FSTs right now, ProDOS, Character, AppleShare and High
|>Sierra. Character and High Sierra won't work on a HD, and AppleShare is for
|>file servers (currently for Macs only, I think). So, I'm almost positive
|>your HD is formatted with the Prodos FST.
|>
|   I had a sneaky feeling I'd be putting my foot in my mouth with this
|one. The logic I used was, ORCA says I can't change the directory,
|manual warns that it only works with ProDOS FST, therefore my directory
|isn't initialized with the ProDOS FST, Q.E.D.
|   I heard through e-mail, though, that the ORCA command won't work on
|active directories, either, and so you'd have to boot off a floppy to
|change the order of files in some of the directories.

Ah,I see... Well, it won't work off the disk you booted off of since some
files remain open and GS/OS won't let you do a block write on a device that
has open files. So you would have to boot off of another disk and then run
orca's directory arranger thing.

> Christopher Neufeld....Just a graduate student  | "Shtarker! Zis is KAOS!
> neufeld@helios.physics.utoronto.ca    Ad astra! | Vee do not 'yippee yo
> cneufeld@{pnet91,pro-cco}.cts.com               | kye aye' here!"
> "Don't edit reality for the sake of simplicity" |      Siegfried of KAOS

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          |     "My ganglion is stuck in
UUCP: ...!ut-emx!ccwf.cc.utexas.edu!daveh   |      a piece of chewing gum!"
America Online: DrWho29                     |

knauer@cs.uiuc.edu (Rob Knauerhase) (01/26/91)

In article <43152@ut-emx.uucp> daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:
>In article <7201@crash.cts.com> rhood@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Robert Hood) writes:
>BTW, was the original poster wanting to reorder the directory entries or
>reorder the files themselves? I thought that I remembered him(her?) saying
>that it took a long time to boot up since the boot files were at the end
>of the cartridge, and the head had to seek around a lot.
>Doing something like this would require more than rearranging directory
>entries. Norton Speed Disk does this on the IBM's (and Macs too?). Does anyone
>know if BeachComber in ProSel does this?

Well, the Utilties section offers directory re-ordering, sorting by
name/type/etc. or individually.  "Optimize Volume" (ne'e BeachComber)
moves around whole files to reduce fragmentation and improve access time.

[Was it I that said "Enough of this"?!?  Oops. :) ]

Rob Knauerhase
Robert C. Knauerhase        "Since the day the Apple III (RIP) was introduced
U of Ill @ Urbana-Champaign  in 1980, the 'experts' have been saying the Apple
Dept. of Computer Science    II is a dead machine.  If the Apple III couldn't
knauer@cs.uiuc.edu           kill it, the Lisa (RIP) or the PC Jr. (RIP) or the
rck@ces.cwru.edu             128K Mac (RIP) would.  Some people never learn."
knauer@scivax.lerc.nasa.gov                      -- Tom Weishaar

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (01/26/91)

> The problem with copying files is that if you have lots (>100) files,
> it is going to take over a minutes if you need a bunch of things in
> specific orders.  What we need (and I don't think it exists, unless
> Prosel can do it (and I don't have prosel and have never seen it)) is
> a program that lets you do arbitrary file swaps.  On ANY size directory.

    ProSel-16 Utilities will do all that easily.  The upper limit is around
700 files in a folder, I think.  I have successfully sorted my Fonts folder
(with 385 files) without any problem, and it takes only a few seconds.  You
can select one of the default sorting orders (alpha, date/time, type, etc.)
and then you can individually move files up and down using the OA-arrow keys.

Brian T. Tao  {taob@pnet91.cts.com} ||  Computer guru?  Someone who got
University of Metro Toronto         ||  their computer a couple of weeks
Scarberia, ON, MIC 3A8         *B-) ||  before you did.  (Alvin Toffler)

dave@mystie.rtp.dg.com (David Kopper) (01/27/91)

The real reason that Orca can't reorganize all directories is
that GS/OS prevents block I/O requests to a volume that
has an open file somewhere on it.  On the boot volume
the file that is open is */System/System.Setup/Sys.Resources
which is opened by the system software itself.

All other volumes can be reorganized with the orca commands.
If you want to reorder the boot volume, then you
must shutdown and boot from a different disk then
run orca and finally the commands to reorder the
directory.

  Dave Kopper        Internet: dave@mystie.webo.dg.com
                           or: dave%dgc.mceo.dg.com@relay.cs.net
Apple II Forever!       GEnie: D.Kopper

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (01/28/91)

In article <1269@dg.dg.com> dave@mystie.rtp.dg.com (David Kopper) writes:
>... GS/OS prevents block I/O requests to a volume that
>has an open file somewhere on it.

Yes, and it is a ROYAL pain.  Why in the world did Apple DTS decide to
enforce such a silly restriction and can we get them to PLEASE fix it?

bazyar@ernie (Jawaid Bazyar) (01/28/91)

In article <15000@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <1269@dg.dg.com> dave@mystie.rtp.dg.com (David Kopper) writes:
>>... GS/OS prevents block I/O requests to a volume that
>>has an open file somewhere on it.
>
>Yes, and it is a ROYAL pain.  Why in the world did Apple DTS decide to
>enforce such a silly restriction and can we get them to PLEASE fix it?

Doug, Doug, Doug.  Surely you jest.  It's only good common sense to
prevent low level block I/O requests to a volume with open files. Considering
how easily the GS/OS cache can get trashed, it's a GREAT idea.
But that restriction doesn't hold for ReadBlock and WriteBlock, I believe. I'm
pretty sure I used the device level calls (DRead, DWrite, etc) to change my
boot block so holding OA during boot runs prodos 8 instead of GS/OS.  No, I'm
sure, because I only had the GS/OS exerciser installed as a CDA, and only on
the hard drive.  Yep, I'm positive.  I ran into the (can't access volume)
problem with write block, but I tried DWrite and it worked fine.

And in any case it was software engineering, not DTS that did this.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | "I'm sure K&R have never heard of Mike."
Senior/Computer Engineering |

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan28.093438.21992@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> bazyar@cs.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) writes:
>Doug, Doug, Doug.  Surely you jest.  It's only good common sense to
>prevent low level block I/O requests to a volume with open files.

No, it's stupid.  It assumes that the programmer does not know what he
is doing.  While this may be true for Macintosh USERS, it should not
be assumed of Apple IIGS PROGRAMMERS.  Our tools have been deliberately
crippled!

There have been other reported actual problems caused by this restriction.

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (01/29/91)

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:

> Our tools have been deliberately crippled!

I disagree. The present situation is REQUIRED because of a limitation in
the current FST design. If FST's could be given the opportunity to 'veto'
low level I/O requests, this wouldn't be a problem.

Since the FST's are assumed to be caching blocks whenever they can (the
ProDOS FST does it to directory blocks a lot), it is a very bad idea to
perform direct writes to blocks that an FST thinks it has a valid cache
copy of.

>There have been other reported actual problems caused by this restriction.

Yes, but they way things are currently set up, removing the restriction would
cause worse problems.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan29.113245.24252@nntp-server.caltech.edu> toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>Since the FST's are assumed to be caching blocks whenever they can ...

But all that is required is for the block I/O calls to ask the FSTs
to flush their caches before proceeding with the block I/O.  In any
case this is a fixable problem.  (On UNIX it is solved by assuming
that the filesystem is not mounted during a "raw disk" I/O operation,
and it is the user's responsibility to ensure this condition.  On
GS/OS another approach would be required.)

bazyar@ernie (Jawaid Bazyar) (01/30/91)

In article <15014@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <1991Jan29.113245.24252@nntp-server.caltech.edu> toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>>Since the FST's are assumed to be caching blocks whenever they can ...
>
>But all that is required is for the block I/O calls to ask the FSTs
>to flush their caches before proceeding with the block I/O.  In any
>case this is a fixable problem.  (On UNIX it is solved by assuming
>that the filesystem is not mounted during a "raw disk" I/O operation,
>and it is the user's responsibility to ensure this condition.  On
>GS/OS another approach would be required.)

I still fail to see the problem.  How often do you actually have to
do block I/O on a disk drive?  Not very often, you say? Maybe once
or twice a month to check for filesystem inconsistencies?  Is it
too rough to have to boot off of floppy once or twice a month?

sheesh...

--

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan29.210436.3866@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> bazyar@cs.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) writes:
>Is it too rough to have to boot off of floppy once or twice a month?

That's not the point.  Suppose as a programmer I come up with a nice,
safe disk compaction utility.  My customers might conceivably like to
run this utility fairly frequently.  What Apple has done is force me
to tell my customers, "Well, the utility works okay on every partition
on your hard disk EXECPT the one you booted from; reboot from the
special floppy whose construction is detailed in Appendix A."  That
makes me, not Apple, look like an incompetent in the eyes of my
customers.  Note that several existing commercial products "suddenly
stopped working" when customers upgraded to the Apple IIGS System Disk
release that added this restriction.

The essential issue is one of system software design.  It is obvious
to any competent systems programmer that systems programs are easier
to implement correctly, and that they work more "slickly", when the
fundamental OS features obey a simple model than when they follow a
"warty" model.  Warts make it necessary to invest more effort in the
design and implementation of applications while simultaneously
reducing their utility.  This is an issue that the Computing Techniques
research group at AT&T Bell Laboratories obvious understands very well;
it would behoove others to understand it also.

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (01/31/91)

From toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel):

> Since the FST's are assumed to be caching blocks whenever they can (the
> ProDOS FST does it to directory blocks a lot), it is a very bad idea to
> perform direct writes to blocks that an FST thinks it has a valid cache
> copy of.

    Is it not possible to purge or flush the GS/OS cache after a direct block
write of the boot disk?  That would force the directory information to be
reloaded from the disk, and nothing would be corrupted.

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (02/04/91)

In article <15006@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <1991Jan28.093438.21992@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> bazyar@cs.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) writes:
>>Doug, Doug, Doug.  Surely you jest.  It's only good common sense to
>>prevent low level block I/O requests to a volume with open files.
>
>No, it's stupid.  It assumes that the programmer does not know what he
>is doing.  While this may be true for Macintosh USERS, it should not
>be assumed of Apple IIGS PROGRAMMERS.  Our tools have been deliberately
>crippled!

You *can* use DRead and DWrite even on volumes with open files.  You have
to be Very Careful, though--there is no obvious way to determine whether
an FST has its own copies of the data in some of those blocks.  You could
confuse an FST into corrupting the disk, if you mess with any block related
to an open file.

(By the way, the GS/OS Cache is not the issue here--that's flushed to disk
automatically on a DWrite.  The issue is that an FST can have its own private
copies of the blocks it currently cares about.)

I *do* think it would be good to have a supported way of "unmounting" a
volume so that no FST knows about it; but this wouldn't help a whole lot,
because your boot volume would still have an open file (Sys.Resources) and
you would not be able to unmount it.

--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II System Software Engineer         |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

In article <425@generic.UUCP> taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) writes:
>From toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel):
>
>> Since the FST's are assumed to be caching blocks whenever they can (the
>> ProDOS FST does it to directory blocks a lot), it is a very bad idea to
>> perform direct writes to blocks that an FST thinks it has a valid cache
>> copy of.
>
>    Is it not possible to purge or flush the GS/OS cache after a direct block
>write of the boot disk?  That would force the directory information to be
>reloaded from the disk, and nothing would be corrupted.
>
>Brian T. Tao  {taob@pnet91.cts.com} ||  Computer guru?  Someone who got
>University of Metro Toronto         ||  their computer a couple of weeks
>Scarberia, ON, MIC 3A8         *B-) ||  before you did.  (Alvin Toffler)

Flushing the cache doesn't address the problem; the tricky part is when
an FST has its *own* copy of some of the data on the volume.  (You could
call this a "cached" copy, but it's not in the GS/OS Cache.)
--

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (02/06/91)

From dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons):

> Flushing the cache doesn't address the problem; the tricky part is
> when an FST has its *own* copy of some of the data on the volume.
>  (You could call this a "cached" copy, but it's not in the GS/OS
> Cache.)

    Am I right in assuming that the ProDOS FST is restarted (or at leat re-
initialized) when returning from a ProDOS 8 program?  Prosel-8's Cat Doctor
happily sorts any folder on any ProDOS volume, and when GS/OS returns, the FST
doesn't have any problems with it.