[comp.sys.apple2] replace control-J w/control-M

swiers@plains.NoDak.edu (Mike Swiers ) (02/06/91)

I just snagged Davex from Apple2-L, and it's an exec.  I DL'd it to my Sun
before I realized it (thought it was binsciied (sp)), but I tossed it to my
GS as well.  Anyway, I can't seem to do much with it with the control-J's
(linefeeds, I guess).  I tried AppleWorks, but it sat there for ten minutes
on the first one and I gave up.  I tried AppleWorks GS on a composite file
(I catted 'em all together before I knew it was an exec, so that particular
file was 250 some odd K) but it just sat there as well.  I tried that nifty
Fixer program of Morgan Davis', but it just removes LF's, doesn't replace
then with CR's.  I tried ProTERM, and it did it, albeit very slowly, but
several of the files are too big to fit in the ProTerm editor, and it's
sooo sloow I hate to use it anyway.  Are there any Apple-II or Unix utils
I can use to do this for me?

Thanks,

Mike

P.S.  As an alternative, could someone send me the latest Davex, shrunk and
binsciied?

--
                         "I own a Harley, not just a T-shirt!"    Apple IIgs!
I like to trade.  Got anything you want to get rid of?            Sun 2/120!

nrunyon%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (The Bard's Mystic Song) (02/06/91)

In article <8028@plains.NoDak.edu> swiers@plains.NoDak.edu (Mike Swiers ) writes:
>Anyway, I can't seem to do much with it with the control-J's
>(linefeeds, I guess).  Are there any Apple-II or Unix utils
>I can use to do this for me?
>
>Mike
>                         "I own a Harley, not just a T-shirt!"    Apple IIgs!
>I like to trade.  Got anything you want to get rid of?            Sun 2/120!
>I got _lots_ of motorcycle parts, whatcha need?                    Sun 2/50!
>swiers@plains.nodak.edu, mike@egf-bbs.UUCP, ud169430@ndsuvm1.bitnet

In UNIX the following 2 alias commands will strip Ctrl-J's and make them
 Ctrl-M's and vise-versa.

 (Strip Ctrl-J's, make them Ctrl-M's)
 alias apple "cat \!^ | tr '\012' '\015' > \!^.X ; rm -f \!^; mv \!^.X \!^"

 (Strip Ctrl-M's, make them Ctrl-J's)
 alias unix "cat \!^ | tr '\015' '\012' > \!^.X ; rm -f \!^; mv \!^.X \!^"

	Neil -
---------- Baltimore Orioles! Only 2 months until Spring Training ----------
Neil M. Runyon		     | Apple IIgs WOZ edition
University of Utah - CS Dept |  Scotland: Old Castles, Dark Ale, and Golf...
nrunyon@peruvian.utah.edu    |  Want to play a game of Xtrek?!?

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (02/06/91)

Don't worry about the linefeeds.  As has been stated a million times
in the past week, BinSCII can handle linefeeds with no problem.

Maybe this small factoid should be added to the FAQ...

Scott Alfter-----------------------------_/_-----------------------(>o<)
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS IN THE GULF!         / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/ Have you killed an Iraqi lately?

In article <1991Feb6.032011.22121@nevada.edu> alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) writes:
>Don't worry about the linefeeds.  As has been stated a million times
+>in the past week, BinSCII can handle linefeeds with no problem.
+>
>Maybe this small factoid should be added to the FAQ...

No biggie here, but I'm pretty sure I _did_ mention these were execs and not
binscii files.  I know BinSCII can handle them.

Mike

+>Scott Alfter-----------------------------_/_-----------------------(>o<)
+>SUPPORT OUR TROOPS IN THE GULF!         / v \ Apple II:
+>Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
>   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/ Have you killed an Iraqi lately?

--
                         "I own a Harley, not just a T-shirt!"    Apple IIgs!
I like to trade.  Got anything you want to get rid of?            Sun 2/120!
I got _lots_ of motorcycle parts, whatcha need?                    Sun 2/50!
swiers@plains.nodak.edu, mike@egf-bbs.UUCP, ud169430@ndsuvm1.bitnet

marekp@pnet91.cts.com (Marek Pawlowski) (02/07/91)

From Unix, you can do:
tr '\012' '\015' <original_filename >new_filename

/* Marek Pawlowski, marekp@{generic|pnet91|bkj386|torag|aunix}.uucp  [CONT] */
/* {albert|wookumz|apple-gunkies|pogo|churchy|geech|spiff|mole}.ai.mit.edu  */
/* President, Intelligent Twist Software, 250 Harding Blvd, PO BOX 32017    */
/* Richmond Hill, Ontario, L4C 9M7, CANADA.  An ideal route is as follows:  */
/* { Ph: (416) 884-4501 4-8pm EDT } generic!pnet91!marekp@zoo.toronto.edu   */