[comp.sys.apple2] GS ROMS

hmayor@bcm.tmc.edu (Heather Mayor) (02/07/91)

What is the difference between ROM1, 2 and 3 in the AppleGS?
Is there an upgrade path from a ROM1 board and is it necessary?
What would be an approximate price- academic pricing?
Do some programs run only on ROM3 boards?
Thanks
HDM

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (02/07/91)

On Wed, 6 Feb 91 19:19:17 GMT Heather Mayor said:
>What is the difference between ROM1, 2 and 3 in the AppleGS?

There is no ROM 2.  The difference between ROM 01 & 3 is very little (Just
enough to make some programs refuse to run on a ROM 3.

>Is there an upgrade path from a ROM1 board and is it necessary?

No and no.

>What would be an approximate price- academic pricing?
>Do some programs run only on ROM3 boards?

Not that I know of.  Although, there are many programs which run on a ROM 01,
but not on the ROM 3.  You're better off sticking with the ROM 01.

>Thanks

Sure.

>HDM

  Michael J. Quinn
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  BITNET--   mquinn@utcvm
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp (Matthew Curtin) (02/07/91)

hmayor@bcm.tmc.edu (Heather Mayor) writes:

> What is the difference between ROM1, 2 and 3 in the AppleGS?
> Is there an upgrade path from a ROM1 board and is it necessary?
> What would be an approximate price- academic pricing?
> Do some programs run only on ROM3 boards?

There are no MAJOR differences (that I know of) between the ROMs for
different IIgs models.  A ROM03 IIgs is (as far as I know) supposed to be
a little faster and have graphics a little sharper than a ROM01.  (I've
never heard of ROM02.)

There are no commercial software packages that require a ROM03 IIgs,
because there aren't any real features on the ROM03 that are not on ROM01.
All versions of IIgs ROM are compatible because of the way the programs ar
written (using the IIgs toolbox).  There is supposedly some software
floating around (nothing commercial or popular) that requires ROM01 or
ROM03 IIgses specifically, but that is because the programmers did not use
the toolbox.  All "real" software will work on a IIgs whether it is ROM01
or ROM03.  The original "Woz" version of the IIgs is  a little different
(I think).  There are some programs that require ROM01 or later.

If you have a ROM01, there is no reason to upgrade to ROM03.

There has been talk of a ROM04 IIgs in the works on the local BBSes in
Columbus, but it looks now like it's just a rumor or more vaporware:-(

| C. Matthew Curtin             ! "This is a strange game.  The only way to   |
| P.O. Box 27081                ! win is not to play."  -Joshua               |
| cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp _______!______________Apple_II_Forever!______________|