[comp.sys.apple2] Hard disk questions

basilisk@spica.ucsb.edu (Can't touch this...) (02/07/91)

I recently purchased a hard disk and am in the process of copying my
software to it.  Unfortunately, I've run into a couple problems and
any help would be greatly appreciated.  When I try to run some
programs, they begin to run but then start to poll the drives.  I then
get a message saying please insert the disk ' ', where ' ' is the name
of the partition it resides in.  Is there any way to fix this problem?
Also, I can't get Music Studio or Dataterm to run despite following
the directions in the manuals.  How do I get these to work off the
hard drive?  Thanks in advance.

--
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
| Basilisk, who is he?  Basilisk, what is he?   | Ed Jordan               |

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (02/08/91)

In article <8909@hub.ucsb.edu> basilisk@cornu.ucsb.edu writes:
>they begin to run but then start to poll the drives.  I then get a
>message saying please insert the disk ' ', where ' ' is the name
>of the partition it resides in.  Is there any way to fix this problem?

Not without "cracking" the copy protection.  If you have made sure
that all required fonts and tools are in the standard system folders,
then you're simply a victim of the inflexible way in which the
applications were programmed.  I suggest contacting the publishers.

>Also, I can't get Music Studio or Dataterm to run despite following
>the directions in the manuals.

Some applications, including I think early versions of Music Studio,
don't work right under GS System Disk 5.0.  Upgrades may be available
from the publishers, or in some cases (notably PaintWorks Gold) there
are patches developed by users available on various information
services.