[comp.sys.apple2] Hard drive question

vulture@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Ron Helwig) (02/07/91)

First, thanks guys. I got the thing at least partially working now.

My current problem (not too big really) is that I can't seem to use
the DMA aspect of my high speed SCSI card. Whenever I try to use
the DMA set on, it seems to damage some icon file. It currently
works in non-DMA mode fine. But, If I try to boot the hard disk
OR a floppy with DMA on I get error $0005 (icon file is damaged).
Any ideas why?

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!vulture
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!vulture@nosc.mil
INET: vulture@pnet51.orb.mn.org

shawn@marilyn.UUCP (Shawn P. Stanley) (02/09/91)

In article <4038@orbit.cts.com> vulture@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Ron Helwig) writes:
>Whenever I try to use the DMA set on, it seems to damage some icon file.
>It currently works in non-DMA mode fine. But, If I try to boot the hard disk
>OR a floppy with DMA on I get error $0005 (icon file is damaged).
>Any ideas why?

It could be your memory card.  There wasn't a published standard for DMA
from Apple when 3rd party developers began producing memory cards, but
when the DMA SCSI card came out it was incompatible with most of them with
the DMA option turned on.

I heard Applied Engineering has a fix for one or more of their memory
cards, but I'm not exactly sure.
--
Shawn P. Stanley         shawn@marilyn.marilyn.mn.org
tcnet!marilyn!shawn      {rosevax,crash}!orbit!marilyn!shawn