[comp.sys.apple2] Curses on the GS

unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) (01/25/91)

	Is curses close to being done on the GS?  There's a game I really
like on UNIX... Ularn, an updated Larn game.. In my opinion, the best
of the D&D type games on UNIX...

	I'd really like to port it, and there was talk about curses being
ported to the GS.

	Am I correct in saying that after curses is ported, it's basically
just a job of getting source code and compiling it?!

	(I hope to eventually make it a graphics game.. These kinds of
games would work great as 'tile' games).
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. /

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (01/28/91)

In article <11546@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) writes:
>	Is curses close to being done on the GS?

"ncurses", if I'm not mistaken, is an almost machine-independent implementation
of curses (you have to fill in the machine-dependent parts).  A library
called "pccurses", made from ncurses, came across the net a year or two ago
(check alt.sources or comp.sources.misc archives).

>	Am I correct in saying that after curses is ported, it's basically
>just a job of getting source code and compiling it?!

Something like that.

Keep in mind the 64K bank limits... do a dumpobj (with appropriate options)
on MoriaGS for the bad news.  You'd better have a ton of memory to get it
to link, too...  NuLib comes very close to not making it on a 1.25MB
system, and it's only 7000 lines long.

>/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
..!ucbvax!cory!fadden
fadden@hermes.berkeley.edu (when cory throws up)

herwin@pro-novapple.cts.com (Harry Erwin) (01/28/91)

I have been working on writing a GS version of curses.  I'd like to simply
port it, but it turns out that you have to write interface routines to the
console driver, instead.  Still, source code would help a lot -- all I have is
the header files.  Also, I've found that using the console driver is more than
a little convoluted...
   Harry
Harry Erwin   -->Remember, no good deed goes unpunished...
proline:pro-novapple!herwin uucp: crash!pro-novapple!herwin
arpa: crash!pro-novapple!herwin@nosc.mil Telenet: herwin/trw
Internet: herwin@pro-novapple.cts.com
alternate Internet: /PN=Harry.Erwin/O=TRW/ADMD=Telemail/C=US/@Sprint.com

herwin@pro-novapple.cts.com (Harry Erwin) (01/29/91)

If someone can tell me where to find ncurses, I'd be much obliged.  I have
2.25 MB on my IIGS, so I could compile and make a library of it on my own
system and then upload it for interested users.
   HRE

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (01/31/91)

From herwin@pro-novapple.cts.com (Harry Erwin):

> I have been working on writing a GS version of curses.

    For us non-UNIX types, could you tell us what exactly is "curses"???

Brian T. Tao  {taob@pnet91.cts.com} ||  Computer guru?  Someone who got
University of Metro Toronto         ||  their computer a couple of weeks
Scarberia, ON, MIC 3A8         *B-) ||  before you did.  (Alvin Toffler)

In article <430@generic.UUCP> taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) writes:
>From herwin@pro-novapple.cts.com (Harry Erwin):
>> I have been working on writing a GS version of curses.
>    For us non-UNIX types, could you tell us what exactly is "curses"???

	You non-UNIX people, get WITH it! Get a UNIX account somewhere!
It's great!  To not be too snotty, I actually really really like UNIX.
I keep learning more and more about it.. You can use shell scripts to
create "new" commands by using the many sophisticated current
commands, and there's just lots of other darn neat stuff about it. These
things can probably be said about other systems, but I'm not sure..

	Now that I rave about UNIX, I'm probably going to give an incorrect
description of curses..

	From my understanding, curses is a set of routines that can be
used in programs independent of terminal emulation. On UNIX, I would
presume they look in an 'environment variable' (logically called
"term"), and then look up the terminal characteristics.

	For example, in your program you could possibly say something like
"go up one character," and curses 'knows' which termtype you're using and
sends out the correct character to do this.

	You may think that porting this to the GS wouldn't be that useful
as everyone uses the same "termtype," either the text screen or the
desktop (with which I doubt curses could be used)... But with curses on the
GS you can then easily port games and other programs written on UNIX and
not have to worry about manually converting all of the curses crap.
--

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/31/91)

In article <430@generic.UUCP> taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) writes:
>From herwin@pro-novapple.cts.com (Harry Erwin):
>
>> I have been working on writing a GS version of curses.
>
>    For us non-UNIX types, could you tell us what exactly is "curses"???

Curses is a generic terminal driver type of thing. It finds out what terminal
you have and will send the right commands to the terminal, so your program
can be terminal-independent. So, if you want to clear the screen, just tell
curses that and it'll do it for you. I think the main reason for porting this
to the GS is so that C progs can be ported without much modification, right?
After all, there is only one kind of terminal hooked up to a GS :-)

BTW, what does curses stand for?

>Brian T. Tao  {taob@pnet91.cts.com} ||  Computer guru?  Someone who got
>University of Metro Toronto         ||  their computer a couple of weeks
>Scarberia, ON, MIC 3A8         *B-) ||  before you did.  (Alvin Toffler)

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          |     "My ganglion is stuck in

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (02/01/91)

From unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User):

>         You non-UNIX people, get WITH it! Get a UNIX account somewhere!
> It's great!  To not be too snotty, I actually really really like UNIX.

    Well, I _do_ have a UNIX account of sorts with the university.  I dropped
Algebra earlier this year and replaced it with a first-year CompSci course.
We are automatically dumped into the "LUNIX shell" via an 'lsh' command.  It's
called "Learner's UNIX" (or "Lobotomized UNIX") since anything outside of
about 15 basic commands will give you a "command not executed" error.  At
least I get ftp access from LUNIX...

    Thanks for the brief info on curses, I think I know what you're getting
at.  Some sort of universal translator for terminal screen codes?

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (02/03/91)

In article <43488@ut-emx.uucp> daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:
>BTW, what does curses stand for?

	Maybe the writer of the library was so annoyed at how
everything was implemented, he sweared a lot.

--
zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (02/09/91)

... daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:

>Curses is a generic terminal driver type of thing. It finds out what terminal
>you have and will send the right commands to the terminal, so your program
>can be terminal-independent. So, if you want to clear the screen, just tell
>curses that and it'll do it for you. I think the main reason for porting this
>to the GS is so that C progs can be ported without much modification, right?
>After all, there is only one kind of terminal hooked up to a GS :-)

Well, it may be useful for someone trying to write a BBS, and would like
to easily encode emulations for the remote user, while translating what
they see to the console screen.

>BTW, what does curses stand for?

Oh, the usual profanities.

--
///   ____   \\\              "So, here we are, lying dead..." "Standing..."
| |/ /    \ \| | Lig Lury Jr. "...standing dead in this..." "Restaurant..."
 \\_( \==/ )_//               "...in this desolate..." "Five star restaurant..."
     \__\\/ greg@hoss.unl.edu    -- Zaphod, Arthur, and Trillian