[comp.sys.apple2] ZipGSX bug found

dcw@goldilocks.lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (02/08/91)

For those of you who have had problems running your Zip GSX in your
ROM 01 GS, there is a simple fix. Give Zip Tech a call and ask them
for the shorter cable. It turns out that the ROM 01 hardware is
electrically noisy, and the Zip chokes on it. The new cable is a bit
shorter and noise is less of an issue. Note that ROM 03 machines
shouldn't be having a problem. I sent my card back (again - I'll be
getting my 4th!) to let them wrestle with it while I move. I hope this
really fixes things!

--
Dave Whitney
Computer Science MIT 1990	| I wrote Z-Link and BinSCII. Send me bug

ericm@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Eric Mulholland) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb7.195647.6691@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> dcw@goldilocks.lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) writes:
>ROM 01 GS, there is a simple fix. Give Zip Tech a call and ask them
>for the shorter cable. It turns out that the ROM 01 hardware is

After reading your article, I called zip (even had the article on
the screen when I dialed).  I explained my setup, GS rom 1, GSX 1.02
RamFast, and that programs crashed, namely P8 ones.  I asked about
the shorter cable, but instead Tony recommended I solder a wire between
the two pads at T6 (lower left, next to CPU cable, under dip switches).
My next question concerned how this affected my warranty.  He assured
me that this would not voild it (only time will tell).  Making this
connection does something to the grounding, I don't remember exactly
what.  I had doughts that this would do anything, but if things don't
amaze me enough, this actually worked!  All the programs I have know
to crash 100% of the time now run fine.  Before doing this yourself,
call Zip and ask, if you blow things up, you didn't get this from me.

>getting my 4th!) to let them wrestle with it while I move. I hope this

I was on my third.  The first two were both version 1.01 and I couldn't
get to Prodos8's copyright screen half the time.  The third, version 1.02,
work fairly well in GS/OS, but choked in Prodos8, namely when basic.system
was loaded!  Catalog... crash!

Good Luck with your next card, I know the frustrations you have.
--
     ____
 Y_,_|[]|   Eric Mulholland