[comp.sys.apple2] Postcript

ag0514@leah.albany.edu (GOLDSTEIN ANDREW M) (02/06/91)

I have used the LaserWriter driver to create Postscript files on my GS, but
when I upload them to my school's VAX and attempt to print it on the laser
printer I get an error that it does not recognize the command "waittimeout"
Am I doing something wrong, or is it the printer that wrongfully rejects my
file.  Also when I create this file it is huge as compared to one created on
the Mac with a very similar one page document.

<------------------------------------------------------------------------->
<Andrew Goldstein
<Inet: ag0514@leah.albany.edu, ag0514@rachel.albany.edu
<Bitnet: ag0514@albny1vx
<------------------------------------------------------------------------>

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (02/06/91)

ag0514@leah.albany.edu (GOLDSTEIN ANDREW M) writes:

>  Also when I create this file it is huge as compared to one created on
>the Mac with a very similar one page document.

Macs download a set of PostScript subroutines to the printer in order to
avoid including them in the ps file all the time -- however each version
of the Mac Laserwriter driver has used a different (and incompatible)
'Laser Prep'. When you print from a Mac that is running a different version
than the one the Laserwriter was last printed with, you get a box about
Laser Prep and have to wait.

The GS printer drivers include their subroutines with every file and make
no assumptions about the state of the printer. I've been able to print
documents from AWGS and use the Imagewriter Emulator from Orca/Prizm without
problems and without disturbing the current state of 'Laser Prep Wars'.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

jake@labpca.mscs.mu.edu (Jake Buchholz) (02/07/91)

Well, as things discussed here about Postscript on the GS spurred me to actually
try it (and yes, it sure does make dem der files...)  And as soon as I find where
I put HFSLink or a2fx, I'm going to transfer it to a Mac disk and attempt to print
it out...

This is my question.  How?  Is there anything special that needs to be done?  Say
I loaded this postscript file into WordPerfect or MacWrite II, wouldn't it attempt
to print the postscript file as if it was merely any old text file in the default
font?

Jake
--
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]---------------------------------------------+
[]     Jacob S. Buchholz      [] With great intellect, comes an even greater |

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (02/09/91)

jake@labpca.mscs.mu.edu (Jake Buchholz) writes:

>I find where I put HFSLink or a2fx, I'm going to transfer it to a Mac disk
>and attempt to print it out...

Um, you won't be able to do that. those programs only read Mac disks. Use Apple
File Exchange on the Mac to read your prodos disks.

>This is my question.  How?  Is there anything special that needs to be done?
>Say I loaded this postscript file into WordPerfect or MacWrite II, wouldn't
>it attempt to print the postscript file as if it was merely any old text
>file in the default font?

It will. You'll need SendPS (or PSDump, if it works) to download the postscript
file to the printer. I may have a postscript sender for the GS soon, so stay
tuned...

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (02/09/91)

From jake@labpca.mscs.mu.edu (Jake Buchholz):

(Check your term settings... it looks like you were using a line length of
 greater than 80 columns.  I reformatted the quote.)

> This is my question.  How?  Is there anything special that needs to
> be done?  Say I loaded this postscript file into WordPerfect or
> MacWrite II, wouldn't it attempt to print the postscript file as if
> it was merely any old text file in the default font?

    That's a trap a lot of people fall into (it seems).  You will need a word
processor which knows that the text file it is sending is a PostScript
program, and not just some program listing.  MS Word 4.0 is capable of doing
that, but I don't know about WordPerfect (MacWrite II definitely won't cut
it).  Better yet, get your hands on a LaserWriter utility such as CE Widgets
, SendPS or LaserStatus.  They can download any text file to the printer as a
PostScript program.  I would suggest this method since Word forces you to go
through a rather bothersome routine.

Brian T. Tao  {taob@pnet91.cts.com} ||  Computer guru?  Someone who got
University of Metro Toronto         ||  their computer a couple of weeks
Scarberia, ON, MIC 3A8         *B-) ||  before you did.  (Alvin Toffler)