[comp.sys.apple2] Kermit

sqh@dhw68k.cts.com (Steve Hubbell) (07/04/90)

Would someone please send me a Binscii'ed copy of Kermit?  My disk
went on the fritz and my only copy is fried (I know, I should
have made a backup!)

Thanks...I appreciate it!

magras@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Jean C Magras) (07/04/90)

Could someone volunteer to send me a copy of kermit If I send them a
disk? I need kermit do download a copy of BINscii and Shrinkit.
Thanx in Advance
J.C.

magras@cpsin2.cps.msu.edu (Jean C Magras) (07/22/90)

I'm fedup and lost with this frogleg communications program.
I have a 1.25 meg Rom v1 2 GS in a 2e case and I can login to my
SUN 3 Unix server and do everything but download files and I've
tried everythinng but the documentation that came from Computer
Odyssey was a pretty big improvement over the previous docs, It
still isn't enough.
   Server mode and a simple send give the same situation.. I engage
the local kermit (v3.85) to the receive mode and I just get to watch
nothing but packet repeat count build up and no data received! Help!

BTW If your're interested in hearing about the latest ORCA/C
developments email me magras@cpsin.cps.msu.edu to here about
the new pragmas dealing with the stack,lint ,preprocessor and the
new command line C macro definition capability. If enough people
respond I'll try to get mike westerfield's permission to post
the bug list and release notes.

                              Thanx in advance
                              J.C. Magras

517 337 2267 magras@cpsin.cps.msu.edu 1736 burcham dr e.lansing mi 48823

WARNING !!  .flamehandler script on guard !!!

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (07/23/90)

In article <1990Jul22.025730.23248@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, magras@cpsin2.cps.msu.edu (Jean C Magras) writes:

>    Server mode and a simple send give the same situation.. I engage
> the local kermit (v3.85) to the receive mode and I just get to watch
> nothing but packet repeat count build up and no data received! Help!
>

>                               Thanx in advance
>                               J.C. Magras

That command sequence won't work. There are two modes for downloading
via kermit and you've mixed commands from the two of them. One way is
to invoke KERMIT on the remote but do not put it into SERVER mode. Now
issue SEND (filename) and then escape back to local and give RECEIVE.
The other method is to place the remote in SERVER mode. While acting
as a server the remote kermit will not accept any commands from you
directly. You have to escape back to local mode. To receive a file use
GET (filename). When you are finished use the FINISH command to take the
remote out of server.
One other warning. Kermit will do it's best to convert a filename into
an acceptable Prodos name. However, it will not truncate a filename, at
least not as of v3.82. Attempting to download a file with a name greater
than 15 characters will cause an error and abort the d/l. This is especially
something to watch for when doing wildcard downloads.
Kermit can be a real pain to learn. I consider it to be worth the trouble
though because once you get the hang of it you will be able to sit down to
any computer and use xfer files with a minimum of relearning.

*   bob church  bchurch@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu                       *
*  If economics isn't an "exact" science why do computers crash    *
*  so much more often than the stock market?                       *
*                                          bc                      *

magras@cpsin2.cps.msu.edu (Jean C Magras) (07/27/90)

Thanks Mr.Church but some guy from Purdue clued me into the problem
-- setting the parity to even on my local kermit and then the sun/3
server was happy. Heck I'm writing this response on it's vt100
emulator... so I'm a Happy Puppy.. but now I've got orca/c/sd5.0.2
problems (another post!)
Thanks Y'all
J.C.

mkoprows@ub.d.umn.edu (Mark) (01/07/91)

I was wondering if there is any way to set the packet length any bigger than
$FA, 250 bytes, on Kermit. I got the late4st version, 3.87, and would like to
cut down on the overhead and would like to set the block sizes bigger. I can
set the packet length bigger at school but am unable to set the packet length
larger on my GS. I tried to use Xmodem but it never seems to work.

					Mark
					mkoprows@ub.d.umn.edu

JDA@CU.NIH.GOV ("Doug Ashbrook") (01/08/91)

> I was wondering if there is any way to set the packet length any bigger than
> $FA, 250 bytes, on Kermit. I got the late4st version, 3.87, and would like to
> cut down on the overhead and would like to set the block sizes bigger. I can
> set the packet length bigger at school but am unable to set the packet length
> larger on my GS. I tried to use Xmodem but it never seems to work.
>
>                                         Mark
>                                         mkoprows@ub.d.umn.edu

250 is the maximum for packet length.  I use the XMODEM protocol with
Kermit 3.87 and have not had any problems.  The one "glitch" that I
notice is that I must hit "return" 3 times after I have escaped back
to Apple Kermit and have entered the "GET filename" command.  The
transfer then takes off.

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                   (301) 402-1248
INTERNET: JDA@CU.NIH.GOV                           BITNET: JDA@NIHCU
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,   Bethesda, MD 20892

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (01/08/91)

In article <9101080151.AA22226@alw.nih.gov>, JDA@CU.NIH.GOV ("Doug Ashbrook")
says:

>> I was wondering if there is any way to set the packet length any bigger than
>> $FA, 250 bytes, on Kermit. I got the late4st version, 3.87, and would like
>
>250 is the maximum for packet length.  I use the XMODEM protocol with
>Kermit 3.87 and have not had any problems.

The reason for the 250 byte packet limit is because the 16-bit
arithmetic might slow down the transfer more than the overhead
decrease would speed it up. Notice I said "might." I keep hoping
Ted will at least try it for some timing...

I personally don't think the 16-bit stuff will be as bad as calculating those
percentages and printing the decimal numbers instead of hex must have
been :-)

By the way, xmodem protocol often doesn't work with mainframe
transfers because of the variety of different data paths you can
have. Often only 7 bits are used, while xmodem requires 8; sometimes
xmodem's handshaking characters get swallowed by terminal servers
etc. Zmodem is supposed to be able to take care of that problem
but we all know the state of zmodem and the apple //. Kermit is
nice and reliable, if you can stand the slowness. I used to set up
large batches and download while I was going to be out.

TS8RBOTW@MIAMIU.BITNET (Radagast) (01/27/91)

Does Kermit 3.86 upload $E0 files?  If I set file-type to txt, I get an
error... same with bin and other.  Sure, I can change the file's file-type,
but that's a bit inconvenient.  Can anyone suggest another way?

On another note... I've now found another P8 program that doesn't work with
my hard drive/RamFAST... FAZ.II gives me the same error as Binscii.. too
many volumes/pathnames/whatever.  This is getting VERY annoying.  I've got
six partitions, plus a RAMdisk and a 3.5" drive.  Doesn't the RamFAST
automatically map your HD partitions to different slots when in P8?  What's
the problem????

   Thanks,
     Tim
 _                                   _                              _
[_  Miami University, Oxford, OH:   [_] Columbus, Ohio:             _]
 _] ts8rbotw@miamiu.bitnet          [_] tschmidt@pro-tcc.cts.com   [_
[_  tfschmidt@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu [_] Radagast@bluemoon.uucp      _]
 _] ts8rbotw@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu  [_] tschmidt@pro-mania.cts.com [_

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (02/10/91)

From TS8RBOTW@MIAMIU.BITNET (Radagast):

> On another note... I've now found another P8 program that doesn't work
> with my hard drive/RamFAST... FAZ.II gives me the same error as
> Binscii.. too many volumes/pathnames/whatever.  This is getting VERY
> annoying.  I've got six partitions, plus a RAMdisk and a 3.5" drive.
>  Doesn't the RamFAST automatically map your HD partitions to different
> slots when in P8?

    Yes, you have to use the RAMFast.Config program that comes in the ROM disk
for the card.  Right above the table listing all your partition data, you can
select which slots the extra drives are mapped to in ProDOS 8.  My RAMFast is
in slot 6, so the first two drives are s6d1 and s6d2.  The other two
partitions are mapped to s7d1 and s7d2.

    At one point, I had my old hard drive hooked up as well (a 40-meg), a RAM
disk, the CVTech ROM disk and a 3.5" floppy.  That gave me 9 "drives" in all.
It looked cluttered in the Finder, but I never had any problems with a "too
many partitions" error.

Brian T. Tao  {taob@pnet91.cts.com} ||  Computer guru?  Someone who got
University of Metro Toronto         ||  their computer a couple of weeks
Scarberia, ON, MIC 3A8         *B-) ||  before you did.  (Alvin Toffler)