[comp.sys.apple2] VCR as RF modulator report

DCS4@psuvm.psu.edu (Dave Shaffer) (02/07/91)

Based on some suggestions obtained from responses to a question in a
frequency (RF) modulator to connect my color TV as a monitor to my
Apple IIe. It worked fine; here's my report:

I've had the Apple for a couple of years, and I use it primarily as a
convenient home terminal to a mainframe. Equipped with a modem and an
apple monochrome (green) screen, it has worked just fine.

But -- my daughter is seven, and enjoys using the IIe for a variety of
educational computer games. I wondered if any of her programs would
support color, but had no RF modulator to connect the IIe to our color
TV as a test.

The suggestion to use the VCR was a good one -- I patched the video
out from the IIe to the video in port on the VCR; turned the TV, VCR,
and computer on; set the TV to the correct channel and there it was!

I don't intend to keep the temporary patch connected, as the TV and
the IIe are on opposite sides of the living room and will probably
stay that way. But the VCR suggestion did give us the chance to "test
drive" a color monitor. Now that we've seen the results (and if my
daughter has her way!) we'll be looking for a low-cost color monitor
for the IIe. As for me, the color screen handled 40-column text well,
but 80-column was a problem. I'll stick with the Apple monitor.

Thanks to those who made the suggestion. I posted the results as an
informational item for anyone who might be interested.

dpalermo@aludra.usc.edu (Dan Palermo) (02/07/91)

DCS4@psuvm.psu.edu (Dave Shaffer) writes:
>Based on some suggestions obtained from responses to a question in a
>frequency (RF) modulator to connect my color TV as a monitor to my
>Apple IIe. It worked fine; here's my report:
>The suggestion to use the VCR was a good one -- I patched the video
>out from the IIe to the video in port on the VCR; turned the TV, VCR,
>and computer on; set the TV to the correct channel and there it was!

  I use my VCR in a similar but reversed mode.  Being poor grad students,
a friend of mine brought over his VCR and hooked the video out into the
Apple // Color Composite monitor.  This allows you to use your monitor
as a TV (as long as you also have some sort of stereo to take the audio
out from the VCR ;-).  I now operate both my computer and my VCR through
my monitor through a cheap A/B switch box and have no need for another
CRT (namely a TV).  This is nice when I have a project I need to finish
on the computer and a TV program I just "have" to watch.  I just watch
the VCR till a commercial or a slow spot in the story and then hit the
switch box to change to the computer.  When I hear the TV program becoming
interesting again, I just switch back to the VCR.  (less productive than
just working on the project, but at least I am working 8-)

  Pretty simple application of equipment, but many people who see the
setup are kind of surprised at first.  If you're out there Ed (change),
thanks for the idea, it is still working great!!

  Dan Palermo
  dpalermo@usc.edu

sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (02/09/91)

DCS4@psuvm.psu.edu (Dave Shaffer) writes:
>Based on some suggestions obtained from responses to a question in a
>frequency (RF) modulator to connect my color TV as a monitor to my
>Apple IIe. It worked fine; here's my report:
u can buy RF modulators really inexpensively. The Apple II Plus and

buy RF modulators really inexpensively. The Apple II Plus and
You can buy RF modulators really inexpensively. The Apple II Plus and
I think that's what its called).
umber 15-1273  cost $34.95
wall.
deo" (page 104 in '91 Canadian catalog)
male (I think that's what its called).

At any rate, Radio Shack sells:
"RF Modulator For Computer/Video" (page 104 in '91 Canadian catalog)
Catalog number 15-1273  cost $34.95
THis one plugs into the wall.

an colour TV.
ck. I am not endorsing their products.]
$10 in 1983) gave a decent picture on an colour TV.

[I don't work for Radio Shack. I am not endorsing their products.]

UUCP: lsuc!graham!pnet91!sb
INET: sb@pnet91.cts.com

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (02/11/91)

	If there is a color control on your color monitor then if
you turn it to black and white, then 80 columns should work fine.
(Then you won't need two screens.)

--
zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM