[comp.sys.apple2] Orca C problems

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (02/11/91)

	I think someone, somewhere said that the only difference was the
filetype ('tween EXE and S16)  But I am not sure.

--
zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb10.232157.3448@ddsw1.MCS.COM> zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) writes:
>	I think someone, somewhere said that the only difference was the
>filetype ('tween EXE and S16)  But I am not sure.

That's correct, but there is more that one should know, namely that
some run-time functions REQUIRE support from a shell such as APW/Orca's.
If you're developing stand-alone applications you need to avoid stdio etc.

platkus@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Shawn W Platkus) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb10.232157.3448@ddsw1.MCS.COM> zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) writes:

>	I think someone, somewhere said that the only difference was the
>filetype ('tween EXE and S16)  But I am not sure.
>
>--
>zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM

This is officially wrong.  There is more than just the filetype difference.

Platkus.

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (02/12/91)

platkus@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Shawn W Platkus) writes:

>>	I think someone, somewhere said that the only difference was the
>>filetype ('tween EXE and S16)  But I am not sure.
>>zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM

>This is officially wrong.  There is more than just the filetype difference.

Such as ... ? The only differences I'm aware of are the filetype bits and the
fact that S16's get passed a null string instead of a command line.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

bazyar@ernie (Jawaid Bazyar) (02/12/91)

In article <15159@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>That's correct, but there is more that one should know, namely that
>some run-time functions REQUIRE support from a shell such as APW/Orca's.
>If you're developing stand-alone applications you need to avoid stdio etc.

  That's not necessarily true.  I have a program that uses TextTools (don't
tell me- I should use the GS/OS drivers) to change what happens to C's
stdout.  I install a routine of mine as the stdout driver, and whether
under the shell or as an S16 it works correctly.  I'm certain, however,
that the only thing in the Orca libraries that doesn't work under S16 is
the Shell interface calls.  Everything else gets linked in from ORCALIB.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | "I'm sure K&R have never heard of Mike."
Senior/Computer Engineering |