[comp.sys.apple2] IIGS toolbox questions

hartkopf@spot.Colorado.EDU (Jeff Hartkopf) (02/07/91)

Two questions relating to the IIGS toolbox:

(1)  Is there a way to make StartUpTools open the application's resource
     fork with read *and* write access?  If not, what is the best way to
     handle this?  Is it to close and then reopen the resource fork,
     properly setting the resFileID field of the StartStopRecord returned
     by StartUpTools?

(2)  If I have an inactive line edit control in a window processed with
     TaskMaster, how come hitting tab from another, active line edit
     selects the text in the inactive line edit?  The only way to get
     back to the active line edit is then to click the mouse in it.
     What am I doing wrong, or is this a bug?

Thanks for any help.

Jeff Hartkopf
University of Colorado at Boulder
Internet: hartkopf@spot.colorado.edu

stadler@Apple.COM (Andy Stadler) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb7.060339.16154@csn.org> hartkopf@spot.Colorado.EDU
 (Jeff Hartkopf) writes:

>(1)  Is there a way to make StartUpTools open the application's resource
>     fork with read *and* write access?  If not, what is the best way to
>     handle this?  Is it to close and then reopen the resource fork,
>     properly setting the resFileID field of the StartStopRecord returned
>     by StartUpTools?

Yep, that's exactly the right thing to do.  Here's actual real live source
code from HyperCardIIGS, where we needed to do exactly what you describe:

  hyperCardResFile := startStopInfo.resFileID;
  {$IFC Internal }	{ convert the read-only resource fork to read/write }
    CloseResourceFile(hyperCardResFile);
    hyperCardResFile := OpenResourceFile(read+write, NIL, hyperCardAppName);
    IF _toolErr <> 0 THEN hyperCardResFile := 0;
    startStopInfo.resFileID := hyperCardResFile;
  {$ENDC }

This code worked just fine!

Andy Stadler
HyperCardIIGS Team