[comp.sys.apple2] Programming in Assembly

v097pba8@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Ken F Morton) (01/27/91)

	Are there any share/free ware assemblers around?  For the GS?
I want to learn to program in assembly ( I have to ).

Any Advice?

			Ken Morton

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (01/29/91)

In article <11471@ucrmath.ucr.edu>, rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) says:

>I've put LISA v 2.6 & v3.x into the public domain.  I don't know if I
>still have a copy of it.  You can down load it from BIX and other

Great! Can you post it to comp.binaries, or send it to appl2-l,
if you find it?

Same goes to those with access to BIX and "other services."

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (02/09/91)

>        Are there any share/free ware assemblers around?  For the GS?
>I want to learn to program in assembly ( I have to ).
>
>Any Advice?
>
>                        Ken Morton

Double click on the Basic.System file on your system disk. At the "]" prompt
type "CALL -151" or "mtr". At the "*" prompt, type "!". You are now using the
free monitor included with every Apple II ever sold and the mini-assembler
included with most II's (except the early //c's). Note that it has been
extended to accept the 65816 opcodes. I do not know the commands needed to
actually use the thing, I hink Orca/M is well worth the $50 or so and use that
exclusively.

Hope this helps you discover the joys of Assembly Language programming. (A
Lost Art, or so they tell be at work).

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Steven T Chiang) (02/10/91)

In article <478@generic.UUCP> ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) writes:
>Double click on the Basic.System file on your system disk. At the "]" prompt
>type "CALL -151" or "mtr". At the "*" prompt, type "!". You are now using the
>free monitor included with every Apple II ever sold and the mini-assembler
>included with most II's (except the early //c's). Note that it has been
>extended to accept the 65816 opcodes. I do not know the commands needed to
>actually use the thing, I hink Orca/M is well worth the $50 or so and use that
>exclusively.

	Don't know if I agree with that.  Merlin 16+ is definitely
faster than Orca M will ever be.  It's a little more expensive, $80
through Programs Plus, but well worth it.  For that money you get the
5.25" version, the two different 3.5" version, one for ProDOS 8, and
the other for GS/OS.  It also has the expressload utilities, compact
utilities, and all of the things you'd ever need in an assembler.
Plus, all of the utilities of ProSel.

BTW-  I am in no way affiliated with Glen Bredon, or Roger Wagner
Publishing.

 _______________________________________________ _______________
| Steve Chiang      Apple //gs Forever!         | Coming Soon:  |
|-----------------------------------------------|---------------|
| Columbia University in the Harlem area  :P    |  DreamGrafix: |
| Internet       :  stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu |   3200 color  |
| America_Online :  DWS Steve                   |     power     |
|_______________________________________________|_______________|

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (02/11/91)

>        Don't know if I agree with that.  Merlin 16+ is definitely
>| Steve Chiang      Apple //gs Forever!         | Coming Soon:  |

The free assembler in every Apple II is certainly the only one I know of. I
prefer Orca because it has a growth path. As far as I know there is no Merlin
C or Merlin Pascal. Orca is the APW shell and gives you access to all the
nifty APW utilities. It intigrates the development quite well and is
transparent for compiling any language's source code. I am going on the
assumption that most people will move up from assembler in the future and this
is the main benefit of Orca over Merlin.

The largest program I have ever written in Assembler is 16k. On a 64k Apple II
this is a reasonable size, on a GS it is a CDA. For large projects a HLL is
required if there is any kind of time limit on development.

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com (Daniel Zimmerman) (02/12/91)

>> Merlin is faster than ORCA/M will ever be...

Well, the newest ORCA/M (ORCA/Shell v1.2 and Linker v1.2.3 (ZapLink)) are quite
fast, and produce nice compacted code.. They also include all of the toolbox
interface files from APW Tools & Interfaces 1.1, and the capability to
integrate the assembler with the other ORCA and APW languages to make
multi-language programs...

Of course, I am on the side of ORCA/M because I won it in AOL's Twilight Time
contest... But I probably would have bought it anyway, having used the othre
ORCA languages...

Oh, yes, and I am in no way affiliated with The Byte Works... :)
Daniel M. Zimmerman             InterNet - dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com
  TFF Enterprises       America Online - Surak TFF    CompuServe - 76407,2246

"Learn reason above all. Learn clear thought; learn to know what is from what
seems to be, and what you wish to be. This is the key to everything: the truth
of reality, the reality of truth. What IS will set you free."
                                                        - Surak Of Vulcan

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (02/13/91)

In article <7528@crash.cts.com> dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com (Daniel Zimmerman) writes:
>>> Merlin is faster than ORCA/M will ever be...
>
>Well, the newest ORCA/M (ORCA/Shell v1.2 and Linker v1.2.3 (ZapLink)) are quite
>fast, and produce nice compacted code.. They also include all of the toolbox
>interface files from APW Tools & Interfaces 1.1, and the capability to
>integrate the assembler with the other ORCA and APW languages to make
>multi-language programs...

Is v1.2 of the shell available yet? I haven't gotten anything from ByteWorks
since I got ZapLink 1.2.2. If it is, does anyone know how much the upgrade is?

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          | "Slight accidents with funny rays