[comp.sys.apple2] Mensch vs. Acceleration

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (02/13/91)

hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) writes:

>be said for the Apple IIgs no thanks to Bill Mensch being incapable to built a
>CPU able to go at decent speeds.  One wonders why it seems so difficult in an
>age when 32-bit architectures are getting CPUs rated at 50 and 100 MHz, why is
>it so difficult to WDC to manufacture a measly 16-bit processor at 20-25 MHz?)

Because WDC's mask was laid out on Mensch's kitchen table and he doesn't seem
to think that the high speed market is really worth the effort it's going to
take to redo the mask properly.

I for one am quite sure that Tony Fadell & co. will produce a winner, now that
they are working on a realistic time scale and not the overoptimistic schedule
they were claiming last year. I just hope Zip can beef up their gate array
to handle the speed without it losing the nice heat and price properties it
has now.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu