[comp.sys.apple2] high speed modems

shawn@marilyn.UUCP (Shawn P. Stanley) (02/12/91)

I'm trying to get a MultiModem V32 working at 9600 bps / 19.2 kbps
on my GS, and as I expected I'm having my share of adventures
figuring out which settings to use.  (These modems can take up a lot
of time!  At least they're house broken. :-)

During my misadventures, I've noticed I lose characters at 9600 bps.
I'm using the firmware buffering, and I thought it could handle 9600
but I wasn't sure about 19.2.  Is there a problem with 9600 bps and
firmware buffering?

Is there a workaround I can employ?
--
Shawn P. Stanley         shawn@marilyn.marilyn.mn.org
tcnet!marilyn!shawn      {rosevax,crash}!orbit!marilyn!shawn

ericm@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Eric Mulholland) (02/13/91)

In article <136@marilyn.UUCP> shawn@marilyn.UUCP (Shawn P. Stanley) writes:
>I'm trying to get a MultiModem V32 working at 9600 bps / 19.2 kbps
>I'm using the firmware buffering, and I thought it could handle 9600
>Is there a workaround I can employ?

There is no bug that I'm aware of.  I wrote my own communication
program that uses the modem port through the firmware.  Recently
I bought a 9600 bps modem and it works great with my program.  I
must admit, without the zipchip gsx installed, data coming in at
19200 does overwhelm the cpu's time and the characters appear on
the screen real slow, but when the modem stops, the display goes
fast.  With the zipchip running, I do keep up with 19200 without
any lag behind.

I guess the question now is which program are you using?  I know
kermit 3.87 works fine though I'm not sure how it uses the port.
--
     ____
 Y_,_|[]|   Eric Mulholland