[comp.sys.apple2] Proterm and MNP5

JRE103@psuvm.psu.edu (James R. Evans Jr.) (02/07/91)

   I was wondering if anyone had any success comfiguring an MNP5 modem with
Proterm. I just got a ViVa 2400m modem (which works great by the way) and am
trying to configure it properly with Proterm 2.01. The manual said to set the
software to 9600 to handle the MNP5 bursts of up to 9300, so I did, but I
don't really know which modem to emulate. The Hayes Smartmodem 2400 works,
but I don't think I can select a speed higher than 2400, and when I try using
the US robotics HST or whatever, I can't seem to get a connection. If anyone
knows how to properly configure this thing, and/or what sort of AT commands
to initialize the modem with, please drop me a note or post here. Any help
at all would be appreciated.
---------------------------------------------------------------|
\  Jim (of course) Evans      JRE103@psuvm.psu.edu              \
 |                                                    Delta Chi |
/      "Darn right I like my Apple IIGS!"                      /
---------------------------------------------------------------|
                     \ Quack! Quack! Moo!, Gobble! Gobble! Goo!/

meekins@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu (timothy lee meekins) (02/11/91)

In article <91041.204200JRE103@psuvm.psu.edu> JRE103@psuvm.psu.edu (James R. Evans Jr.) writes:

>   Okay, here I go again. I recently purchased a viva 2400 baud modem with MNP5
>, and I was wondering the correct way to configure Proterm with it. I set the
>modem port on my GS to 9600 to handle the bursts of speed, but I have trouble
>setting the hardware configuration. It seems that proterm likes to connect at
>a single spped and stay there, not allowing the modem to change the speed. If
>anyone has some insight on this, please follow-up or E-mail me. I think it
>would be of interest to many here.

Well, your main problem is in using a brain-dead program such as ProTerm.
I've been using a MNP 5 modem with it, and I've more trouble than you can
ever imagine. About the only way make things work is to use the Null Modem
selection and a blank Init String. This, of course, means you can't have
ProTerm dial and you'll have to ATDT yourself. Also, when launching ProTerm
with a Null Modem, it will ask you to set system settings, so select
a baud rate greater than 2400 (9600 is nice) for the MNP 5 to work.

--
+---------------------------S-U-P-P-O-R-T-----------------------------------+
|/ Tim Meekins                  <<>> Snail Mail:           <<>>  Apple II  \|

quigley@convex.com (Jeff Quigley) (02/12/91)

>   Okay, here I go again. I recently purchased a viva 2400 baud modem with MNP5
>, and I was wondering the correct way to configure Proterm with it. I set the
>modem port on my GS to 9600 to handle the bursts of speed, but I have trouble
>setting the hardware configuration. It seems that proterm likes to connect at
>a single spped and stay there, not allowing the modem to change the speed. If
>anyone has some insight on this, please follow-up or E-mail me. I think it
>would be of interest to many here.

I have recently tried to do the same thing with my old friend "AsciiExpress:
The Professional" on my //c. Is this possible, or does the software have to
be capable of auto-magic baud rate selection on the fly?

Jeff Quigley
Convex Computer Corporation                             quigley@convex.com
3000 Waterview Parkway
Richardson, TX 75080                                        (214) 497-4439

erast1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Evan R Aussenberg) (02/12/91)

My disclaimer:  I've not used an MNP5 modem--- yet.

It seems to me, from what I've read, that all MNP5 modems must
not be the same.  Don't some of these things support a *fixed*
baud rate setting on the terminal side... sure sometimes the
characters coming in will be slower or faster, but the connection
is always, say 9600 or 4800 (whatever you've set).

Further enlightenment appreciated,

Evan
--
Evan Ron Aussenberg
erast1@unix.cis.pitt.edu

-Rich-@cup.portal.com (Richard Sherman Payne) (02/13/91)

>5, and I was wondering the correct way to configure Proterm with it. I set the
>modem port on my GS to 9600 to handle the bursts of speed, but I have trouble
>setting the hardware configuration. It seems that proterm likes to connect at
>a single spped and stay there, not allowing the modem to change the speed. If
>anyone has some insight on this, please follow-up or E-mail me. I think it
>would be of interest to many here.

	I have a PP9600SA, and have had experience trying to use an MNP5 modem
with PT. The problem is that PT will only autobaud at the connect speed. So
using PT you can run MNP4, but forget it for MNP5.

	And the only way that I could get my 9600 baud modem to work at 9600
baud was to get a local sysop to write a driver for it. It works well enough,
and a straight 9600 baud connection is still much better than 2400 baud.

						Rich

					-Rich-@cup.portal.com

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (02/13/91)

>A few companies used to sell blank expansion cards
>to be stuffed by the buyer with parts. Has anyone
>seen such ads recently?
>
>Clarence Wilkerson

Sure. A buck each. Or so.

Why do you ask?