[comp.sys.apple2] Where's the Megs ?

supton@pro-novapple.cts.com (Sam Upton) (02/08/91)

I recently bought a Quantum 105 Meg drive from Alliance Periphrials.
I used the Advanced Disk Utilities to format and partition the drive.
No problems, except my 105 Meg drive only shows as 100 Megs. I've
discussed this with others in my users' group (Washington Apple Pi)
and others have similar experiences with their drives. Anyone know why
5 Megs seem to be lost ? Is there a way to recover the use of that
disk space ? Any response would be welcome, either E-mail or on this
news group (Apple Pi has an account, but no posting/mail privlidges, and
I'm sure they would be interested in any replies).

Thanks !
Sam Upton
InterNet : supton@pro-novapple.cts.com

proline: pro-novapple!supton
UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!supton
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!supton@nosc.mil
Internet: supton@pro-novapple.cts.com

ua_rlp@nuhub.acs.northeastern.edu (I am created Shiva) (02/09/91)

In article <21952.netnews.info.apple@pro-novapple>, supton@pro-novapple.cts.com (Sam Upton) writes:
> I recently bought a Quantum 105 Meg drive from Alliance Periphrials.
> I used the Advanced Disk Utilities to format and partition the drive.
> No problems, except my 105 Meg drive only shows as 100 Megs. I've
> discussed this with others in my users' group (Washington Apple Pi)
> and others have similar experiences with their drives. Anyone know why
> 5 Megs seem to be lost ? Is there a way to recover the use of that
> disk space ? Any response would be welcome, either E-mail or on this
> news group (Apple Pi has an account, but no posting/mail privlidges, and
> I'm sure they would be interested in any replies).

This might be completely wrong, but that "missing" 5 Meg might be being
used for the system area stuff; like boot block and main directory blocks.
If this is so, then you can't easilly recover this space.

--
					Later...
					Remo, The Destroyer

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (02/09/91)

In article <21952.netnews.info.apple@pro-novapple> supton@pro-novapple.cts.com (Sam Upton) writes:
>No problems, except my 105 Meg drive only shows as 100 Megs.

It's like finding your "120-watt" amplifier can't deliver more than 50
watts.  There are different ways of measuring things.  Presumably there
are 105 * 2^20 * 8 bits of data recordable on the disk, but since some
of the bits are used for sector sync, addressing, bad-block vectors,
etc. there are only 100 * 2^20 * 8 bits available for you to store your
data in.  Don't worry about it.

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (02/09/91)

From supton@pro-novapple.cts.com (Sam Upton):

> I recently bought a Quantum 105 Meg drive from Alliance Periphrials.
> I used the Advanced Disk Utilities to format and partition the drive.
> No problems, except my 105 Meg drive only shows as 100 Megs. I've

    I don't think that's a problem.  I've got a Quantum "105-meg" hard drive
as well, and it shows up as 100 megabytes + 120K or thereabouts.  I looked at
the spec sheet, and if you add up all the numbers, it comes out to just a hair
over 100 megabytes.  It's not even close to 105 megs.  I was using the
formatting software with the RAMFast, and I've got the same results as you.

Brian T. Tao  {taob@pnet91.cts.com} ||  Computer guru?  Someone who got
University of Metro Toronto         ||  their computer a couple of weeks
Scarberia, ON, MIC 3A8         *B-) ||  before you did.  (Alvin Toffler)

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (02/10/91)

I've got them!!!!!!

My Rodime 100 formats to 104Meg. Maybe that is what the "plus" in its name
stands for.  :)

I wouldn't worry about it too much, the value given is the unformatted density
without a directory or anything present and is about the maximum one could
ever hope to put on a disk without sync bits or whatnot. I assume that you
want to format the drive?  This takes space to make sure everything works
correctly.

Personally I think marketing guy named the drive, and engineer would be more
honest. However you would be surprised at how many people will buy a 105Meg
drive over a 100Meg drive given that both are the same size. Personally I like
Rodime's tactic better, give more that you think you paid for. Unfortunately
it is only known after the sale. Until now that is.  :)

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

mcgu5464@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Ronald J Mcguire) (02/11/91)

In article <21952.netnews.info.apple@pro-novapple> supton@pro-novapple.cts.com (Sam Upton) writes:
>I recently bought a Quantum 105 Meg drive from Alliance Periphrials.
>I used the Advanced Disk Utilities to format and partition the drive.
>No problems, except my 105 Meg drive only shows as 100 Megs. I've

Sam,
I had a similar experience with my Vulcan 20 when I first bought it. It
showed up as 17Meg. I soon (within a week) melted it down by accident, and
took it in to get a new one... When I got that drive, it read 22Meg on it!
The best I can figgure out is that maybee they put more on board, then go
though and shut down all the bad mem. Perhaps, as a rule of averages,
AE gets 2 Meg bad on any 20 meg, so they put 22 on, and some drives
have a little more, some a little less... In the case of your Quantum,
they may shut down good sectors, so that it always reads 100, and if its
less, they scrap it. I would doubt there is a way to get at it though.

Dan

(Posting by his request)

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (02/12/91)

There is always overhead in formatting/partitioning a hard drive.  This includes
the data stored on the disk to locate the partitions, etc.  In addition, the
Apple fAdv.Disk.Util locks out bad blocks, and "saves" some of the disk space
for possible future replacement of subsequently occurring bad blocks.  Still,
5 meg seems like a lot.  Of course, unit-to-unit variations in the actual
amount of usable disk space occurs with all HD brands.  I formatted an Apple
HDSC20 hard drive with Apple's utilities and got exactly 20 meg.  Later I did
a low-level re-format using SCSI Hacker, and wound up with 22 meg.  The
shareware partitioners don't "reserve" space.

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (02/12/91)

What's really strange about this, though, is that different ads give
different sizes for the same drive!  Have you looked through Computer
Shopper lately?  Various ads say the Seagate ST296N, for example, has
anywhere from 80 to 85 megs.  Go figure.

(The mechanism I bought recently is the Conner CP340, which according
to the company I bought it from, is a 40-meg drive.  I wonder how
close to 40 megs it really is...:-) )

Scott Alfter-----------------------------_/_-----------------------(>o<)
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS IN THE GULF!         / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/ Have you killed an Iraqi lately?

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (02/12/91)

  To add to the "where's the megs" discussion, I've got a Segate 1096N
which is supposed to be 84 megs.  I could only format it for 80...  Go
figure.  I'm not complaining...  It'll be a little while before I fill
up the 80 I have...

		-Greg T.

sysadmin@pnet91.cts.com (Matthew Montano) (02/12/91)

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) writes:
>(The mechanism I bought recently is the Conner CP340, which according
>to the company I bought it from, is a 40-meg drive.  I wonder how
>close to 40 megs it really is...:-) )

The Conner CP3040 is a SCSI 40 Meg device that on an Apple II with Chinook
SCSI Utilities formats to about 40.5 Megabytes..

You'll be very VERY pleased with the Conner mechanisms. I distribute the
Chinook drives here in Canada (I work for Canadian Computer Outlet) and they
are a pleasure to work worth, in comparison to the Seagates we've seen!
Chinook has been using the Conner drives for quite some time now.. Apple uses
Conner's in the Mac Classic (CP3045 - still a 40 meg). The CP100 is a 100Meg
Conner mechanism which is what I run.

Matthew
---
ventureTech Intelligence - We're trying to make computer easy, SOME HOW!
Email: sysadmin@pnet91.cts.com (most mailers won't barf on that..)
My comments aren't even worth a disclaimer...
pnet91 - 416-237-{1204|0308}. 2400bps only. 1200bps if you do hard breaks.
And the further I get from the things that I care about...
The less I care about how much further away I get   -   Robert Smith, 1989

axi0349@isc.rit.edu (A.X. Ivasyuk ) (02/13/91)

In article <QbhpTQS00WB3ASbGEX@andrew.cmu.edu>, gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) writes:

>   To add to the "where's the megs" discussion, I've got a Segate 1096N
> which is supposed to be 84 megs.  I could only format it for 80...  Go
> 		-Greg T.

Most hard drives are rated at an unformatted capacity.  That is, the
capacity when the drive is formatted is usually less than the quoted
capacity because the formatting info the drive has to write takes up an
amount of space proportional to the size of the drive.

- Anatole

@@@@  @@@@@ @@@@@         Anatoly Ivasyuk             @@@   @@@  @   @
@   @   @     @      (axi0349@ultb.isc.rit.edu)      @   @ @     @   @
@@@@    @     @        Computer Science House        @      @@@  @@@@@
@  @    @     @   Rochester Institute of Technology  @   @     @ @   @
@   @ @@@@@   @      "If all else fails, RTFM."       @@@   @@@  @   @

kreme@isis.cs.du.edu (Finnegan's wake-up call) (02/14/91)

In article <21952.netnews.info.apple@pro-novapple> supton@pro-novapple.cts.com (Sam Upton) writes:
>I recently bought a Quantum 105 Meg drive from Alliance Periphrials.
>I used the Advanced Disk Utilities to format and partition the drive.
>No problems, except my 105 Meg drive only shows as 100 Megs. I've
>discussed this with others in my users' group (Washington Apple Pi)
>and others have similar experiences with their drives. Anyone know why
>5 Megs seem to be lost ? Is there a way to recover the use of that
>disk space ? Any response would be welcome, either E-mail or on this
>news group (Apple Pi has an account, but no posting/mail privlidges, and
>I'm sure they would be interested in any replies).

I can't believe no one told you this:  It is NOT a 105Meg drive, it's a 100
meg drive + a few extra K.

See, 100 Megs is about 104,000,000 bytes, so a Conner 100 Meg drive is
advertised as 104 since anyone doing a dit on the blank drive will see
104Million byes (of course, everyone uses an IBM, right?)  The Qunatum
is a 100 meg drive with enough extra K (like maybe .05 Megs) to push it
over 105Million bytes.  Viola!  A 105 Meg drive.

Basically it's false advertising.

--
| kreme@nyx.cs.du.edu |The Coven BBS (303) 777 2911 PCP via CODEN Stalr*nk too|
|---------------------|100 Megs of storage.  Areas for IBM/MAC/Apple. Games.  |