[comp.sys.apple2] Digitised pics

swiers@plains.NoDak.edu (Mike Swiers ) (02/08/91)

I posted this before but didn't get a single reply.  I'm looking into setting
up a graphical database of digitised motorcycles.  Right now I intend to
do it on my GS, althought I'd prolly rather use an old Sun 2/nnn.  Anyway,
I was playing with AWGS a minute ago, and it was tolerably fast (TWGS, DMA
SCSI, 4M RAM) but the Alliason (sp) demo pics I have don't come out very
good (bad pallette).  What can I do to preserve the original pallette?

Thanks,

Mike
--
                         "I own a Harley, not just a T-shirt!"    Apple IIgs!
I like to trade.  Got anything you want to get rid of?            Sun 2/120!

sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (02/09/91)

swiers@plains.NoDak.edu (Mike Swiers ) writes:
>I posted this before but didn't get a single reply.  I'm looking into setting
>up a graphical database of digitised motorcycles.  Right now I intend to
[cut]
>SCSI, 4M RAM) but the Alliason (sp) demo pics I have don't come out very
>good (bad pallette).  What can I do to preserve the original pallette?
[cut]
>swiers@plains.nodak.edu, mike@egf-bbs.UUCP, ud169430@ndsuvm1.bitnet

You could try something that works in HyperStudio: Take a piece of image that
has the pallette that you want, and paste it onto the existing picture. I
haven't tried it, but I read about it in the HyperStudio manual. ...might work
with AWGS.

There! One reply.

Apple II Forever.

UUCP: lsuc!graham!pnet91!sb
INET: sb@pnet91.cts.com

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (02/09/91)

From: swiers@plains.NoDak.edu (Mike Swiers )

> Anyway, I was playing with AWGS a minute ago, and it was tolerably fast
> (TWGS, DMA SCSI, 4M RAM) but the Alliason (sp) demo pics I have don't
> come out very good (bad pallette).  What can I do to preserve the
> original pallette?

    In a couple of words:  you can't.  AWGS must use 640-mode graphics, and
320-mode pictures (which is what I assume the Allison pictures are in) don't
look very nice at all when converted to 640-mode.  There aren't nearly enough
colours, and AWGS doesn't do multiple palettes.

Brian T. Tao  {taob@pnet91.cts.com} ||  Computer guru?  Someone who got
University of Metro Toronto         ||  their computer a couple of weeks
Scarberia, ON, MIC 3A8         *B-) ||  before you did.  (Alvin Toffler)

stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Steven T Chiang) (02/10/91)

In article <485@generic.UUCP> taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) writes:
>From: swiers@plains.NoDak.edu (Mike Swiers )
>
>> Anyway, I was playing with AWGS a minute ago, and it was tolerably fast
>> (TWGS, DMA SCSI, 4M RAM) but the Alliason (sp) demo pics I have don't
>> come out very good (bad pallette).  What can I do to preserve the
>> original pallette?
>
>    In a couple of words:  you can't.  AWGS must use 640-mode graphics, and
>320-mode pictures (which is what I assume the Allison pictures are in) don't
>look very nice at all when converted to 640-mode.  There aren't nearly enough
>colours, and AWGS doesn't do multiple palettes.

	I don't know if that is true.  If AWGS can retain the palette,
then there is definitely a way to convert to 640.  There was a utility
by Virtual Realities, that converted 320 to 640...  You can also do it
manually.  First go to something like PWGold, load in the picture, go
to 640, create a greyscale palette, (use black, white, and some greys
for the 6 colors), write down the intensities (darkest to brightes),
go to 320 mode, and use the Sort Palettes option, and organize the
palette by color number... so if color 3 is has the darkest intensity,
set color 3 to the end...  when you go back to 640, the picture will
look okay...

 _______________________________________________ _______________
| Steve Chiang      Apple //gs Forever!         | Coming Soon:  |
|-----------------------------------------------|---------------|
| Columbia University in the Harlem area  :P    |  DreamGrafix: |
| Internet       :  stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu |   3200 color  |
| America_Online :  DWS Steve                   |     power     |
|_______________________________________________|_______________|

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (02/14/91)

On Fri, 8 Feb 91 06:32:30 GMT Mike Swiers said:
>I posted this before but didn't get a single reply.  I'm looking into setting
>up a graphical database of digitised motorcycles.  Right now I intend to
>do it on my GS, althought I'd prolly rather use an old Sun 2/nnn.  Anyway,
>I was playing with AWGS a minute ago, and it was tolerably fast (TWGS, DMA
>SCSI, 4M RAM) but the Alliason (sp) demo pics I have don't come out very
>good (bad pallette).  What can I do to preserve the original pallette?

When you transfer a 320x200 resolution, 16 color picture into Appleworks GS,
(which is 640x200 & 4 colors), it's not possible to keep the original palette.
If you have some 640x200 pictures, it might be possible though, but I don't
know how... sorry.

>Thanks,

You're welcome.
P.S.  Do you mean 'probably' instead of 'prolly'?

>Mike
>--
>                         "I own a Harley, not just a T-shirt!"    Apple IIgs!
>I like to trade.  Got anything you want to get rid of?            Sun 2/120!
>I got _lots_ of motorcycle parts, whatcha need?                    Sun 2/50!
>swiers@plains.nodak.edu, mike@egf-bbs.UUCP, ud169430@ndsuvm1.bitnet

  Michael J. Quinn
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm