[comp.sys.apple2] HD

JCC118@psuvm.psu.edu (02/12/91)

HELLO,
    I'M PLANNING TO BUY A HARD DRIVE IN THE NEAR FUTURE.  I AM INTERESTED IN A
VULCAN INTERNAL HARD DRIVE.  I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS ONE AND WOULD SAY WH
AT THEY THINK OF IT.  I MAY JUST END UP BUYING AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE.  I WANT
AROUND 40 MEG, DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?
THANKS,
STRING

asslk@acad2.anc.alaska.edu (Kingry Shane L) (02/12/91)

In article <91042.222100JCC118@psuvm.psu.edu>, JCC118@psuvm.psu.edu writes...
>HELLO,
>    I'M PLANNING TO BUY A HARD DRIVE IN THE NEAR FUTURE.  I AM INTERESTED IN A
>VULCAN INTERNAL HARD DRIVE.  I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS ONE AND WOULD SAY WH
>AT THEY THINK OF IT.  I MAY JUST END UP BUYING AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE.  I WANT
>AROUND 40 MEG, DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?
>THANKS,
>STRING

The Vulcan used be the way to go, but times have changed, and unless you're
cramped for space, get an external with a high speed scsc (any brand) card.

I think if I were to buy another HD (excternal), it would either be
the 45meg cartraige, or a 100 megger.

_Shane Kingry

Oh, if you do get a Vulcan, and it goes bad, plan on 3-8 weeks without it -
that is, once you get through in AE's tech number (near impossible)

scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Henderson) (02/12/91)

In article <91042.222100JCC118@psuvm.psu.edu> <JCC118@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:
>HELLO,
>    I'M PLANNING TO BUY A HARD DRIVE IN THE NEAR FUTURE.  I AM INTERESTED IN A
>VULCAN INTERNAL HARD DRIVE.  I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS ONE AND WOULD SAY WH
>AT THEY THINK OF IT.  I MAY JUST END UP BUYING AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE.  I WANT
>AROUND 40 MEG, DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?
>THANKS,
>STRING

If you have a Transwarp, don't get a Vulcan.  I've heard about to many
problems with people who have both.  Ask Derek Taubert about his woes
with the Transwarp and Vulcan.  He's not the only one.

-Scott

--
=  R. Scott Henderson		       =  "Some people claim that there's a  =
=  University of Illinois              =   woman to blame, but I know it's   =

asslk@acad2.anc.alaska.edu (Kingry Shane L) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb12.061450.25578@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Henderson) writes...
>In article <91042.222100JCC118@psuvm.psu.edu> <JCC118@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:
>>HELLO,
>>    I'M PLANNING TO BUY A HARD DRIVE IN THE NEAR FUTURE.  I AM INTERESTED IN A
>>VULCAN INTERNAL HARD DRIVE.  I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS ONE AND WOULD SAY WH
>>AT THEY THINK OF IT.  I MAY JUST END UP BUYING AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE.  I WANT
>>AROUND 40 MEG, DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?
>>THANKS,
>>STRING
>
>If you have a Transwarp, don't get a Vulcan.  I've heard about to many
>problems with people who have both.  Ask Derek Taubert about his woes
>with the Transwarp and Vulcan.  He's not the only one.
>
>-Scott
>
>--
>=  R. Scott Henderson		       =  "Some people claim that there's a  =
>=  University of Illinois              =   woman to blame, but I know it's   =
>=  scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu             =   my own damned fault.              =
>=  Apple II Forever!	               =              -Jimmy Buffet          =

I don't know about the transwarp and vulcan, but I am running a zip gsx1600
board and a vulcan.  the zip actually increases speed!  speaking of which, the
zip board is a very good investment, and I have had no problems with it.  well,
actually, ProTerm 2.2 (designed for 1MHz, not 8Mhz) crashes at full speed
during a transfer...no bother, dropped it to 50%, and it works great!

_Shane Kingry

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (02/14/91)

On Tue, 12 Feb 91 05:43:52 GMT <info-apple-request@APPLE.COM> said:

>The Vulcan used be the way to go, but times have changed, and unless you're
>cramped for space, get an external with a high speed scsc (any brand) card.

I agree!

>I think if I were to buy another HD (excternal), it would either be
>the 45meg cartraige, or a 100 megger.

Removable cartridges drives are GREAT!  Yesterday I suffered a major malfunctio
n on one of my cartridges...  Appleworks 2.1 wrote over my directory blocks
for some unknown reason.  Luckily, I had another cartridge with similar files
on it, so I was up and running in less than sixty seconds!  But there are
still some files on the original cartridge I'll have to scrape off :(

>_Shane Kingry
>
>Oh, if you do get a Vulcan, and it goes bad, plan on 3-8 weeks without it -
>that is, once you get through in AE's tech number (near impossible)

If you get an Ehman drive, they have a 24hour replacement policy.  For the
first five years, they'll replace your HD in 24hrs while repairng your
damaged one.

  Michael J. Quinn
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm