[comp.sys.apple2] DeskJet

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (02/12/91)

Does anyone know of any software package that will download soft fonts into
the HP DeskJet 500 from a IIgs?  I have been using one of these printers with
the Harmonie drivers and have had no problems with either text or graphics.
I bought extra memory so I could use soft fonts, if they ever become available.

bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) (02/12/91)

In <9102111657.AA29941@apple.com> ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET writes:

>Does anyone know of any software package that will download soft fonts into
>the HP DeskJet 500 from a IIgs?  I have been using one of these printers with
>the Harmonie drivers and have had no problems with either text or graphics.
>I bought extra memory so I could use soft fonts, if they ever become available.
Stay tuned, Vitesse will soon be releasing "Contours" which they claim
will do exactly that for the HP Laser printers, and I assume the Deskjet
also.. You might want to give them a call. I am currently using softfonts
on my HP IIP on my GS, but I cheat a little. I download the fonts using my
PC Transporter card, and then switch over to the Apple side once they are
downloaded. Works like a champ with most software and the Harmonie drivers.

--
   bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu |                         | MCI MAIL:BSHERMAN

fsantore@pro-sol.cts.com (Frank Santore) (02/15/91)

I'm also using the same conguration:  Apple IIgs plus DeskJet 500 and
the Harmonie drivers.  Although I have not added the Ram cartridge
to my printer and tried to do so, I've assumed the only thing
necessary in downloading softfonts is to 'print' the softfont file.
Now the problem I think you are describing is that the currently
available softfont disks exist only in PC format.  This then becomes
the basic 'conversion' problem of a PC file to an Apple file, and
there are a number of ways to accomplish the task:  1) serial connection
between PC and GS, 2) PCTransporter, 3) Conversion Services, etc.
I'll be interested in how you fare because, although I've been real
happy with the text quality of my DeskJet, my Imagewriter actually
had greater flexibility in terms of pitches and points (ie, as both
printers come from the factory).  I've considered just buying the
Wordperferct font cartridge, but haven't done so yet.  Good luck.

                                           - Frank.
----
ProLine:  fsantore@pro-sol
Internet: fsantore@pro-sol.cts.com