[comp.sys.apple2] Disk II drive on a //c or //gs

SMILLS@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (SCOTT MILLS) (01/31/91)

I was recently given three old   Disk II drives.  The all work just
fine and I would like to use them on a couple of //c's.  Is there
anyone out there that markets adaptors for these old drives that will
let me use them on a //c or a //gs drive port?  Is there anyway to make
them daisy-chainable?
Thanks In Advance,

B. Scott Mills                                           Apple // Forever
Student Consultant,  Stephen F. Austin State University
SMILLS@SFAUSTIN.BITNET                    Almost Heaven BBS: 409-362-2020
SMILLS%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Henderson) (02/01/91)

In article <910131.03383348.047078@SFA.CP6> SMILLS@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (SCOTT MILLS) writes:
>I was recently given three old   Disk II drives.  The all work just
>fine and I would like to use them on a couple of //c's.  Is there
>anyone out there that markets adaptors for these old drives that will
>let me use them on a //c or a //gs drive port?  Is there anyway to make
>them daisy-chainable?
>Thanks In Advance,
>
>B. Scott Mills                                           Apple // Forever
>Student Consultant,  Stephen F. Austin State University
>SMILLS@SFAUSTIN.BITNET                    Almost Heaven BBS: 409-362-2020
>SMILLS%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

One night, while fairly intoxicated (isn't that when the best hardware hacks
are done?) and fairly bored, I had an idea.  A couple weeks before, I had
blown up a Unidisk 3.5 drive (while sober :-( ).  I decided to take the
cable off of the Unidisk and replace it with the 20 pin ribbon cable on
one of my old Disk ]['s.  It worked!

Now, you probably don't have a dead Unidisk laying around, but you can
buy one of these cables from a place called JDR for $9.95 each!  Their
number is 1-800-538-5000.  The part number is CBL-DRIVE-IIC.

Unfortunately, with this method, you can daisy chain only one drive.
However, when I looked through this month's issue of Computer Monthly,
I found an ad from Creative Solutions in Dayton, Ohio.  The product
that they sell is called DAISY PORT and sells for $24.95.  They claim
that you can hook 2 Disk ][ type drives into the port and daisy
chain them to your 3.5's.

I decided to stick with the Disk ][ controler card for 2 drives.
Currently, with the control panel, even if you daisy chain the
5.25 drives, you still lose access to slot 6.  So, why bother.
If future GS developments allow the use of slots and ports simultaneously,
however, the DAISY port would be a great investment.

--
=  R. Scott Henderson		       =  "Some people claim that there's a  =
=  University of Illinois              =   woman to blame, but I know it's   =

richm@pro-berks.cts.com (Rich Mlodoch) (02/16/91)

I currently have my two Disk ][ drives hanging off my Apple 3.5 drive. I use a
cable I made with parts from Radio shack. It's not hard to wire up. I could
provide the details if anyone's interested.

ProLine:  richm@pro-berks
Internet: richm@pro-berks.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-berks!richm
ARPA:     crash!pro-berks!richm@nosc.mil
Bitnet:   richm%pro-berks.cts.com@nosc.mil

pro-berks--215/929-4315--A free public access Proline system.