[comp.sys.apple2] Mac Lc vs IIgs A+

bullfrog@ruth.UUCP (Curtis Blevins) (01/30/91)

I recently read an article in the Dec issue of A+, which reviewed the new
Mac LC. One of the points they made was the cost of an LC is $500.00 cheaper
than of an Apple IIgs. They showed a chart to illustrate there point.

Here is their chart.

Feature        MacLC          Cost           IIGS           Cost
CPU            68020          $2399          65816          $1149
Speed          16 MHZ                        2.8 MHZ
Accelerator    No                            Applied 7.MHZ  $ 349
Ram            2megs          N/C            1meg           N/C
                                             Apple 1meg     $ 229
Color Monitor  Apple RGB      $ 599          Apple RGB      $ 588
Internal HD    40 meg         N/C            Vulcan 40      $ 899
Superdrive 3.5 Apple          N/C            Applied        $ 279
Floppy 5.25    Apple          $ 329          Apple          $ 329
Scsi interface Apple Scsi     N/C            Apple          $ 209
Mono input     yes            N/C            No
Runs GS warez  no                            Yes
Runs Mac stuff yes                           Cirtech?
Runs II warez  II board       $ 249          yes            N/C
Fan            yes            N/C            Apple          $  49
Total                         $3576                         $4091

Here is my chart

Feature        MacLC          Cost           IIGS                Cost
CPU            68020          $2399          65816               $1149
Speed          16 MHZ                        2.8 MHZ
Accelerator    No                            Zip gs1600 8Mhz     $ 249
Ram            2megs          N/C            1meg                N/C
                                             Applied 1meg
                                             GSram II            $ 189
Color Monitor  Apple RGB      $ 599          Apple RGB           $ 588
Internal HD    40 meg         N/C            No
External Hd    No                            Ehman 60            $ 410
Superdrive 3.5 Apple          N/C            Applied             $ 279
Floppy 5.25    Apple          $ 329          Apple               $ 329
Scsi interface Apple Scsi     N/C            Apple               $ 209
Mono input     yes            N/C            No
Runs GS warez  no                            Yes
Runs Mac stuff yes                           Cirtech?
Runs II warez  II board       $ 249          yes                 N/C
Fan            yes            N/C            Apple               $  49
Stereo in out  no                            App. Sonic Blaster  $  98
Total                         $3576                              $3549

As you see my chart shows that they are priced the same and the gs has lots
of extra goodies that you don't really need to run it. If you eliminate the
accelerator,sound card,extra meg of memory you drop the price of the GS to
$3013 which is around $500 cheaper than the LC and still runs GS, II and
maybe in the future Mac software. Anyway it is pretty silly to compair a mac
to a gs. Would you compair a gs to a 386? The buyer has to decide what are
the features he is looking for then look at the price. Unfortunately Apples
pricing structure is set up so that the macs have a lower markup than the II
line. This is odd as the cost development of the IIs has long since been
regained. For all the lip wagging that apple has done lately about how they
still support the IIs out there, I have still not seen any evidence of
economic support in the form of lower prices. Gee I thought that "obsolete
technology" was allways cheaper.

Bull Frog

schiffer@stsci.EDU (Skip Schiffer) (01/31/91)

I find that the fact that a II GS costs as much or more than a Mac Classic
is the primary reason that there is no market for the II GS.  I believe that
the machine can be useful and has a market, but only if the pricing could
be made such that the entire usable machine (CPU, 3.5" disk and color
monitor) was below the cost of a Mac Classic.  Then people who were more
cost sensitive rather than performance sensitive could concider an Apple
product rather than an IBM clone.  As it is the basic machine is not cost
effective (ie, those who would settle for the performance want a cheaper
price and those that can tolerate the price want more performance or
upward compatibility).

I find that this situation is very unfortunate, because I think that a
II GS priced so a usable system was $500-700 would be an effective machine
which could be used to attract a wide audience of users to the desktop
metaphor and "solution computing" which has been the strength of the
Macs since day one.  I can only assume that Apple cannot find a way to
produce the machine so that it could be sold in this price range and still
have a reasonable margin.  Very unfortunate, because it means that the
art of computing will continue to move forward a a glacial pace.

These opinions are mine alone and the result of more than 15 years of
watching personal computing grow.		Skip
--
| F. H. Schiffer 3rd              |                            |
| schiffer@stsci.edu              | I speak for myself alone.  |

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (02/01/91)

One thing that annoys me about comparing computers that are
"similarly equipped" is that this similar equipment refers
only to the physical hardware, not usefulness of the machine.
For example, memory and an old comparison.

Soon after the mac came out, it had outgrown its memory and
512k was pretty much necessary to run anything. Now a 512k mac
is virtually worthless - not because people actually have
that much more data, but because software has grown into 1 meg,
2 megs, etc. On the other hand, I don't know of any // (non-gs)
software that *requires* more than 128k (55k is a decent-sized
desktop, but sometimes you want more than that). So if we were
comparing a mac with 2 megs to a //e with 2 megs, of course the //e's
extra 1800-some-K would bring the cost up. But in terms of usefulness,
that extra memory is an extra cost and shouldn't really be included
as a cost to make the machines comparable.

Did this make sense?

i.e. if we were comparing a mac 512k to a //e, I personally wouldn't
add the cost of the (512k-128k) extra memory into the cost of
the //e, because it's pretty much a necessity on the mac
but would just be a luxury on the //e.

rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) (02/01/91)

In article <0XRkw1w162w@ruth.UUCP>, bullfrog@ruth.UUCP (Curtis Blevins) writes:
> I recently read an article in the Dec issue of A+, which reviewed the new
> Mac LC. One of the points they made was the cost of an LC is $500.00 cheaper
> than of an Apple IIgs. They showed a chart to illustrate there point.
>
> Here is their chart.

[Chart deleted]

> Total                         $3576                         $4091
>
> Here is my chart

[Chart Deleted]

> Total                         $3576                              $3549
>
> As you see my chart shows that they are priced the same and the gs has lots
> of extra goodies that you don't really need to run it. If you eliminate the
> accelerator,sound card,extra meg of memory you drop the price of the GS to
> $3013 which is around $500 cheaper than the LC and still runs GS, II and
> maybe in the future Mac software. Anyway it is pretty silly to compair a mac
> to a gs. Would you compair a gs to a 386? The buyer has to decide what are
> the features he is looking for then look at the price. Unfortunately Apples
> pricing structure is set up so that the macs have a lower markup than the II
> line. This is odd as the cost development of the IIs has long since been
> regained. For all the lip wagging that apple has done lately about how they
> still support the IIs out there, I have still not seen any evidence of
> economic support in the form of lower prices. Gee I thought that "obsolete
> technology" was allways cheaper.

$3500 for a 7MHz IIgs with 2 megs of ram and a 60 meg hard drive!!!!! No
wonder why schools can't afford to put more computers in them!! The Apple
II was outdated in '82, and the IIgs was outdated in '88. Here, I've got
another chart for you:

Atari STe        Item		Price
cpu		68000		$600
Ram		1 Meg		N/C
     Extra 3 Megs		$200
Color Monitor		        $300
Hard Drive	50 meg		$550
				$1650

It can't run II or IIgs software, but for $350 more it can run Mac
software. The point is, the only thing thats kept Apple as popular as it is
is its educational market, and it is losing it to cheap PC clones that
educators see as the future in computers. And at $3500 for a Mac or a IIgs,
those PC clones are looking even more attractive.

Ryan 'Gozar' Collins 				     rlcollins@miavx1.BITNET
("UUdecode and Type with vt100 emulation")
begin 666 SIG.VT
M("`@?"!\?"!\("`@?"!\?"!\("`O("!\?"`@7"\@("`@?'P@("`@7!M;-4$;a
M6S9`&ULV0!M;-D`;6S9`&ULU01M;-D`;6S9`&ULV0!M;-D`;6S5!&ULV0!M;a
M-D`;6S9`&ULV0!M;-4$;6S9`&ULV0!M;-D`;6S9`&ULU01M;-D`;6S9`&ULVa
M0!M;-D`;6S5!"2`@(%!O=V5R(%=I=&AO=70)("`@("`@5&AE(%!R:6-E(0D@a
/071A<FD@0V]M<'5T97)Sa
end

scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Henderson) (02/01/91)

In article <9102010210.AA15163@apple.com> MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:

>This is in reply to the person that did a GS to macLC price comparison...
>
>You can knock off another $150 for monitor.  Magnavox makes a GS compatible
>RGB monitor with MANY MORE features than the Apple version, and for $150 less!

I thought I'd also mention that the best price I've seen for the Magnavox GS
compatible monitor (model #1CM135) is $249.  The monitor can be obtained
from Lyco Computer (1-800-233-8760) or USA Flex (1-800-872-3539).  I would
recommend USA Flex over Lyco Computer for various reasons. First, Lyco adds
a surcharge to Visa/MC orders, and 2) I've been waiting 2 weeks for the one
I ordered from them after being told it would be here in a couple of days.

--
=  R. Scott Henderson		       =  "Some people claim that there's a  =
=  University of Illinois              =   woman to blame, but I know it's   =

hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) (02/02/91)

Just a minor detail BullFrog seems to have neglected in his price comparison
between the GS and the Mac LC are the facts that Macintosh compatibility (if it
ever becomes available) will carry a heavy pricetag that he seems to have
forgotten to include in his list (but we can be sure it won't be less than
$500).  Furthermore, while the GS might not need the fancy sound features, it
pretty much does require you to have some sort of accelerator as well as more
than 1 meg of RAm in order to do any serious work at decent speed.

The final result is still that in a feature for feature comparison, the Mac LC
wins simply because it has Macintosh compatibility along wit optional IIe
compatibility.  After all, think about it - all schools (!) need is IIe
compatibility, and everything esle you can do on the GS can be done on the LC
as well with Mac software.

Let's face it, apple has priced the LC in such a way that it becomes cheaper
for schools to buy those than to buy GS', which is ajust another way of showing
their support for the Apple II line ... :-)

Of course, I happen to like the LC, not the least bit because it offers 15-bit
color resolution and variable resolutions on different monitors.  Most of all
it is a neat machine...

 uucp : ucrmath!alchemy!hzink | Achieve True Wealth and Financial Independence!
 INET : hzink@alchemy.uucp    |            Intrigued? - Send E-Mail!
 -----------------------------+------------------------------------------------
 Wesley: "Captain, this doesn't look like the holodeck to me."
   Worf: "Ready to cycle airlock, Captain." Picard: "Make it so."

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (02/04/91)

>The final result is still that in a feature for feature comparison, the Mac
LC
>wins simply because it has Macintosh compatibility along wit optional IIe
>compatibility.  After all, think about it - all schools (!) need is IIe
>compatibility, and everything esle you can do on the GS can be done on the LC
>as well with Mac software.

You have made a basic premise that Macintosh is better than GS software and
thus more of an advantage than GS compatibility. I do not believe this to be
so. 90% of the software that I use is as good as any available on the Mac, and
all of the games are better, Simcity and Falcon being the only exceptions. I
am not sayin that the GS makes a better business computer than a Mac, or
better scientific (althoug hthat is true in some cases), but it does make a
better home computer that the family can enjoy using and a better educational
computer for school kids.

At the same price as a LC, the GS is the better value. As an added advantage,
accelerating the GS accelerates the IIe, this is not true on the LC. Also
increasing the amount GS memory increases the IIe memory, on the LC this is
not linear, a 2Meg LC does not have a 2Meg IIe (expanded Appleworks desktop or
large RAMdisk of course).

Bullfrog should have added $79 for microphone input and HyperStudio. This
gives the HyperCard-like interface and voice input.

BTW, the LC does not have 15-bit colour, 8-bit colour is as good as it gets
(unless there is a hidden video mode that I do know about), I understand that
this was a last minute addition as well, they were only going to go with 4-bit
colour on the 13" screen.

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (02/04/91)

On Sun, 3 Feb 91 16:18:14 GMT <info-apple-request@APPLE.COM> said:
>>The final result is still that in a feature for feature comparison, the Mac
>LC
>>wins simply because it has Macintosh compatibility along wit optional IIe
>>compatibility.  After all, think about it - all schools (!) need is IIe
>>compatibility, and everything esle you can do on the GS can be done on the LC
>>as well with Mac software.

The LC has 4 voices.  The gs has 15.  I know of no inexpensive music software
for the mac.  The GS has plenty.  The GS can display 3200 colors.  The LC can
display 256.  The GS (and all II's) have optional ibm compatibilty (PCT).
The GS has seven slots.  The GS (and all II's) have optional video overlay
capability.

-The GS has 15 voice sound.  The LC has 4.
-The GS has great, inexpensive music software.
-The GS can display 3200 colors.  The LC can display 256
-The GS (and all II's) have optional ibm compatibility (PCT).
-The GS has seven slots.
-The GS has true //e compatibility built in.
-The GS's //e can have up to eight megs.  the LC //e can't
-The LC //e takes up the LC's ONLY slot.
-The LC's //e can not use cards designed for the //e.
-The GS is less expensive than the LC.

There's no such thing as a "better" computer.  What's better for one person
isn't better for another.

>At the same price as a LC, the GS is the better value. As an added advantage,
>accelerating the GS accelerates the IIe, this is not true on the LC. Also
>increasing the amount GS memory increases the IIe memory, on the LC this is
>not linear, a 2Meg LC does not have a 2Meg IIe (expanded Appleworks desktop or
>large RAMdisk of course).
>
>Bullfrog should have added $79 for microphone input and HyperStudio. This
>gives the HyperCard-like interface and voice input.
>
>BTW, the LC does not have 15-bit colour, 8-bit colour is as good as it gets
>(unless there is a hidden video mode that I do know about), I understand that
>this was a last minute addition as well, they were only going to go with 4-bit
>colour on the 13" screen.

Just to clarify this, and to be fair to the mac (like it deserves it!?:),
the LC's video RAM can be expanded (at a high price though) to allow it to
display up to 4,096 colors at once.

CSCHERRER@RUBY.VCU.EDU (02/04/91)

Ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com writes...

> BTW, the LC does not have 15-bit colour, 8-bit colour is as good as it gets
> (unless there is a hidden video mode that I do know about), I understand that
>  this was a last minute addition as well, they were only going to go with
>  4-bit colour on the 13" screen.

>  UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
>  INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

W R O N G    W R O N G    W R O N G

"Apple's new Machintosh 12" RGB  Display beams 512x384 pixels in 8-bit color
onto a crisply focused screen without the optional VRAM SIMM.

    With the VRAM SIMM, the LC can display 16-bit color, providing subtle
enough shading for all but the most demanding photo-retouching applications.
The first 15 bits of the 16-bit color provide 32,768 colors; the 16th bit is
reserved for the alpha channel, which is used by software developers."

                                -MacUser, December1990

You should read more.  Unless the reviewers are lying to us.
|Chris Scherrer--------> Increasing his       BITNET:cscherrer@vcuruby       |
|                      his loan debt daily!   INTERNET:cscherrer@ruby.vcu.edu|
|Medical College       --------------------                                  |
|  of Virginia         I am in debt. Therefore, I exist to be in debt. --Me. |

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) (02/04/91)

rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) writes:
> In article <0XRkw1w162w@ruth.UUCP>, bullfrog@ruth.UUCP (Curtis Blevins) writes:
[stuff deleted]
> > Here is my chart
>
> [Chart Deleted]
>
> > Total                         $3576                              $3549
> >

> $3500 for a 7MHz IIgs with 2 megs of ram and a 60 meg hard drive!!!!! No
> wonder why schools can't afford to put more computers in them!! The Apple
> II was outdated in '82, and the IIgs was outdated in '88. Here, I've got
> another chart for you:

[Atair STe chart deleted]
> Ryan 'Gozar' Collins                                 rlcollins@miavx1.BITNET
Yes, but a school wouldn't pay $3500 for a GS like that.  They get
considerably better prices from Apple than we do.  True, they'd
probably pay full price for the accellerator and HD, but not for the
CPU, monitor, or any of the other Apple stuff.

--------------------
Jeffrey Hutzelman			America Online: JeffreyH11
Internet: jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu		BITNET: JHUTZ@DRYCAS

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (02/05/91)

>    With the VRAM SIMM, the LC can display 16-bit color, providing subtle
>|Chris Scherrer--------> Increasing his       BITNET:cscherrer@vcuruby

I just glossed over the article, I thought the extra video RAM was just to
give 13" screen 8-bit colour (which it does), it did not occur that the 12"
screen would also benefit (which it should). I stand corrected.

There may be a problem with programs using this mode, but with Quickdraw this
is a minor point and most, if not all, programs should be able to run in this
new 16 bit mode. Imagine the same thing on a DOS clone? Nothing would work.

BTW, the GS has the same ability and there is no reason why an enhanced video
card could not be produced (VOC not withstanding).

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (02/06/91)

From MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET:

> -The GS can display 3200 colors.  The LC can display 256

    C'mon, I'm all for proving the GS is leaps and bounds beyond the Mac LC,
but saying the GS can display 3200 colours and the LC can display 256 is a bit
misleading.  3200-mode is of very limited use on the GS.  I would much rather
have the LC's 640x480x256-colour mode than 3200-colour graphics.

> -The GS (and all II's) have optional ibm compatibility (PCT).

    You need to buy hardware to obtain MS-DOS compatibility however.  You can
use SoftPC on a Mac to emulate an IBM without additional hardware.  I think
you get EGA graphics to boot.

Brian T. Tao  {taob@pnet91.cts.com} ||  Computer guru?  Someone who got
University of Metro Toronto         ||  their computer a couple of weeks
Scarberia, ON, MIC 3A8         *B-) ||  before you did.  (Alvin Toffler)

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (02/06/91)

In article <460@generic.UUCP> taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) writes:
>    You need to buy hardware to obtain MS-DOS compatibility however.  You can
>use SoftPC on a Mac to emulate an IBM without additional hardware.  I think
>you get EGA graphics to boot.

Yeah, but how good is it?  I know there are XT and AT versions of it,
but remember--this is a software emulation.  Since we're doing the Mac
LC, can a 16 MHz 68020 pretending to be an 80286 hope to outperform a
real '286 at, say, 12 MHz (the standard AT clock rate these days)?
How about even a 10 MHz 8086--can the emulation match that, since
that's about the performance you get from a PC Transporter?  If the
UNIX-based Apple IIe emulator is any indication, I'd have to question
SoftPC's real-world performance.

You might also consider price.  Mac software is usually obscenely
expensive.  You can slap a PC Transporter into an Apple II and, if you
already have a 3.5" drive, that's all you would need.  You're only
looking at about $300-$350 for _hardware_ that ought to run MeSsy-DOS
stuff better than any _software_ package could ever hope to achieve.
(Unless they make SoftPC run on a RISC box. :-) )

Scott Alfter-----------------------------_/_-----------------------(>o<)
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS IN THE GULF!         / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/ Have you killed an Iraqi lately?

swiers@plains.NoDak.edu (Mike Swiers ) (02/06/91)

In article <1991Feb6.055524.24883@nevada.edu> alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) writes:
>that's about the performance you get from a PC Transporter?  If the
>UNIX-based Apple IIe emulator is any indication, I'd have to question
>SoftPC's real-world performance.

Where can I find the latest Unix-bassed Apple II emulator?  I see one here      on plains but it claims to be an old II+ emulator.

>(Unless they make SoftPC run on a RISC box. :-) )

I was under the impression it _did_ run on RISC boxes....

Mike

--
                         "I own a Harley, not just a T-shirt!"    Apple IIgs!
I like to trade.  Got anything you want to get rid of?            Sun 2/120!

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (02/06/91)

In article <8055@plains.NoDak.edu> swiers@plains.NoDak.edu (Mike Swiers ) writes:
>Where can I find the latest Unix-bassed Apple II emulator?  I see one here
>on plains but it claims to be an old II+ emulator.

Try looking at {avalance|headcrash|tornado}.berkeley.edu. There's a enhanced
//e emulator there.

[ Scott Alfter (sp?) says ]
>>(Unless they make SoftPC run on a RISC box. :-) )

>I was under the impression it _did_ run on RISC boxes....

Since when was a Mac a RISC box??

>Mike
>--
>                         "I own a Harley, not just a T-shirt!"    Apple IIgs!
>I like to trade.  Got anything you want to get rid of?            Sun 2/120!
>I got _lots_ of motorcycle parts, whatcha need?                    Sun 2/50!
>swiers@plains.nodak.edu, mike@egf-bbs.UUCP, ud169430@ndsuvm1.bitnet

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          |     "My ganglion is stuck in

USERSIG@MTSG.UBC.CA (02/06/91)

>Unless the reviewers are lying to us.

Why rely on the reviewers? Pick up a spec sheet from any Apple dealer.

rhyde@feller.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (02/07/91)

I use softpc on my Mac IIfx (40 Mhz) every now and then.  It runs about
as fast as an eight to ten mhz 80286 (remember, 80286 chips are about 2-3
times faster than an 8088 running at the same clock speed).  SoftPC is much
better than the PC emulator running on the Suns (DOS Windows).  SoftPC will
be quite interesting running on the Next Machine.  It will probably be as
fast as a 16Mhz 80386sx system, which ain't too shabby.  I'm waiting to see
RDI's Macintosh emulator on the Sun.  It would be nice to be able to run
UNIX, PC, and Mac software from the same machine (a Sun) which only costs
about $3,000.  Of course, if someone would do a Mac emulator for the Next
(so the code could execute on a real 680x0 CPU rather than being emulated)
I'd get even more excited.  Surprisingly enough, the Mac SoftPC runs quite
a bit faster than DOS Windows on the Sun SparcStation.  I suspect the Sun
version was written in C rather than assembly (which is the only sane language
to use for such a simulation).

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (02/07/91)

On Tue, 5 Feb 91 17:54:15 GMT <info-apple-request@APPLE.COM> said:
>From MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET:
>
>> -The GS can display 3200 colors.  The LC can display 256
>
>    C'mon, I'm all for proving the GS is leaps and bounds beyond the Mac LC,
>but saying the GS can display 3200 colours and the LC can display 256 is a bit
>misleading.  3200-mode is of very limited use on the GS.  I would much rather
>have the LC's 640x480x256-colour mode than 3200-colour graphics.

Yeah, you're right, but I was on a roll and couldn't resist :)  BUT, I did
acknowledge the fact that those colors can be increased to well over 3200
on the LC.  But, on the other hand, it IS something the GS can do that the
mac can't (out of the box).

>> -The GS (and all II's) have optional ibm compatibility (PCT).
>
>    You need to buy hardware to obtain MS-DOS compatibility however.  You can

I know.  I pointed that out ('optional...PCT').  That was in reply to them
saying that the LC has Mac compatibility.

>use SoftPC on a Mac to emulate an IBM without additional hardware.  I think
>you get EGA graphics to boot.

I've used that too, but it doesn't compare to the PCT (although, I have to
admit, I've never seen it on a color mac emulating EGA), and it doesn't allow
you to use ibm compatible monitors, keyboards, or floppy drives.

>Brian T. Tao  {taob@pnet91.cts.com} ||  Computer guru?  Someone who got
>University of Metro Toronto         ||  their computer a couple of weeks
>Scarberia, ON, MIC 3A8         *B-) ||  before you did.  (Alvin Toffler)

  Michael J. Quinn
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  BITNET--   mquinn@utcvm
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) (02/07/91)

Concerning this whole debate about MS-DOS compatibility on GS and Mac LCs:
Let's get real!

This is not a contest to run the fastest MS-DOS stuff on your machine, but
merely an argument to prove compatibility.  The point here is that SoftPC can
be bought at less than $300, so can a PC-Transporter.  Both provide MS-DOS
compatibility to the machine running them.  The difference is that SoftPC is
upgradeable (lately the EGA compatibility was added) while PC-T is not.

Also, if you are looking for a fast PC, buy a PC.  We don't need the emulators
so we can buy a Mac/GS and then use them for PC stuff.  The only reason I see a
limited use of Emulators is to provide the ability to edit a file, or import
data.

That is about it, thus the argument about emulators is pretty much moot iun bmy
book..

Harry

dave@mystie.webo.dg.com (David Kopper) (02/07/91)

>>(Unless they make SoftPC run on a RISC box. :-) )

>I was under the impression it _did_ run on RISC boxes....

I saw a demo version of it running on a 88000 processor - it has
definitly been ported to RISC machines...

  Dave Kopper        Internet: dave@mystie.webo.dg.com
                           or: dave%dgc.mceo.dg.com@relay.cs.net
Apple II Forever!       GEnie: D.Kopper

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (02/08/91)

In article <9102040001.AA14006@apple.com> MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:
>On Sun, 3 Feb 91 16:18:14 GMT <info-apple-request@APPLE.COM> said:
>>BTW, the LC does not have 15-bit colour, 8-bit colour is as good as it gets
>>(unless there is a hidden video mode that I do know about), I understand that
>>this was a last minute addition as well, they were only going to go with 4-bit
>>colour on the 13" screen.
>
>Just to clarify this, and to be fair to the mac (like it deserves it!?:),
>the LC's video RAM can be expanded (at a high price though) to allow it to
>display up to 4,096 colors at once.

Ah, the 15-bit color claim is wrong. It's 16-bit. With the appropriate
VRAM expansion. Which is high priced. That gives you 65536 colors on
screen at once no tricks or stunts - not 4k. Has anyone seens a
picture displayed as such? Very nice, I must say. The LC comes with 8
bit video (256 colors at once no stunts). (I call the 3200 mode on the
GS a stunt, as the programmer has to bend over backwards to get a
static picture on screen. The LC, with 16-bit color can display 65536
different colors as easily as a GS can display 4 in 640 non-dithered
mode.)

--
Dave Whitney
Computer Science MIT 1990	| I wrote Z-Link and BinSCII. Send me bug

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) (02/08/91)

It does; as a matter of fact, we have it running on DECstation 3100's
here at CMU.  Unfortunately, due to licensing difficulties, only the
students in a specific class are able to run it.  Eventually, I hope
they'll make it available to everyone.  Then they can get rid of those
stupid IBM PCs and PS/2s that we still have.
--------------------

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (02/09/91)

From MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET:

>> use SoftPC on a Mac to emulate an IBM without additional hardware.  I
>> think you get EGA graphics to boot.
>
> I've used that too, but it doesn't compare to the PCT (although, I have
> to admit, I've never seen it on a color mac emulating EGA), and it
> doesn't allow you to use ibm compatible monitors, keyboards, or floppy
> drives.

    You've got a point there... I've only seen WordPerfect 5.0 running on a GS
with a PCT.  The coloured text was very sharp on the GS' monitor, but I didn't
see any graphics.  I did use SoftPC running on a Mac IIcx ones.  Now that
you've brought up the point, it did seem kind of slow.  I wasn't doing
anything heavy-duty, but innocent things like a scrolling directory listing
seemed awfully slow.

lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com (Laer Haider) (02/10/91)

>In article <1991Feb6.055524.24883@nevada.edu> alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT
>ALFTER) writes:
>
>>that's about the performance you get from a PC Transporter?  If the
>>UNIX-based Apple IIe emulator is any indication, I'd have to question
>>SoftPC's real-world performance.

Depends on what you're running it on.  On a Motorola 88000 based system,
It runs pretty damn good!  Of course, if you're running it on affordable
hardware, you're going do have to do a bit of waiting for some things.
Though probably not as long as a PCT if you've got a FAST Mac.

>Where can I find the latest Unix-bassed Apple II emulator?  I see one here
>on plains but it claims to be an old II+ emulator.
>
>>(Unless they make SoftPC run on a RISC box. :-) )
>
>I was under the impression it _did_ run on RISC boxes....

See above, the 88000 is a RISC chip.
                /    _______________________________________________
 \             / /   ProLine:  pro-beagle!lhaider
  \\\' ,      / //      INET:  lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com
   \\\//,   _/ //,      UUCP:  crash!pro-beagle!lhaider
    \_-//' /  //<,      ARPA:  crash!pro-beagle!lhaider@nosc.mil
      \ ///  <//`
      /  >>  \\\`__/_   The opinions expressed here belong to nobody!
     /,)-^>>_\`, \\\    (Anybody see nobody lately?)
     (/   \\ /\\\     -----------------------------------------------
         // _//\\\\
       ((` ((

declan@remus.rutgers.edu (Declan McCullagh/LZ) (02/12/91)

> In article <1991Feb6.055524.24883@nevada.edu> alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) writes:
>that's about the performance you get from a PC Transporter?  If the
>UNIX-based Apple IIe emulator is any indication, I'd have to question
>SoftPC's real-world performance.

>(Unless they make SoftPC run on a RISC box. :-) )

How about a NeXTstation or NeXTcube with a 25 MHz 68040 ~= 15-18 MIPS.
RISCy enough?  I have SoftPC on my NeXT right now.

At that speed, even the UNIX Apple IIe emulator is tolerable.  And,
speaking of emulation, RDI systems is going to be shipping a Mac software
emulator for the NeXT in the near future.  Vaporware?  No - they're
already shipping a ROM-based version for the Sun/3.

-Declan

jwwalden@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Darc Tangent) (02/16/91)

In article <9102040001.AA14006@apple.com>, MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:
> -The GS can display 3200 colors.  The LC can display 256

The GS can display 16 colors.  Yes, you can switch palettes every scan line,
but you can do that on any machine (i.e. you can get 256 * 342 colors on the
standard LC).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Darc Tangent			  "He won't need a bed
jwwalden@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu	   He's a digital man" - RUSH

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (02/16/91)

In article <F#-&$Y%@rpi.edu> usenet@rpi writes:
>I would expect that 3200-color mode would become the new standard
>within a year on the GS, ...

So-called "3200 color" mode has not made significant inroads in Apple IIGS
software since it was first demoed a couple of years ago.  I suppose some
developers think they need cycles to DO something other than maintain a
static display.

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (02/16/91)

jwwalden@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Darc Tangent) writes:

>The GS can display 16 colors.  Yes, you can switch palettes every scan line,
>but you can do that on any machine (i.e. you can get 256 * 342 colors on the
>standard LC).

Fine, but can you get a coherent picture out of it? Somehow I don't think you'd
be able to read the LC's video counters directly.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

mvk@itsgw.rpi.edu (Michael V. Kent) (02/17/91)

In article <15220@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <F#-&$Y%@rpi.edu> usenet@rpi writes:
>>I would expect that 3200-color mode would become the new standard
>>within a year on the GS, ...
>
>So-called "3200 color" mode has not made significant inroads in Apple IIGS
>software since it was first demoed a couple of years ago.  I suppose some
>developers think they need cycles to DO something other than maintain a
>static display.

When I first saw 3200 mode it was just that -- a standalone demo.  In the past
six months or so we've seen 3200 mode NDA's, GIF to 3200 converters, and at
least one 3200 paint program.  When DreamGraphix comes out, I would expect it
to almost replace all 16 color paint programs.

Speed is improving too.  DreamGraphix demo 3 has a 3200 color picture, ani-
mation, and a SoundSmith song playing simultaneously.  With the proliferation
of GS accelerators, I would expect this trend to continue.

Michael Kent                                          mvk@itsgw.rpi.edu