[comp.sys.apple2] c

troy@rt2.cs.wisc.edu (Troy Jacobson) (02/17/91)

I'm just interested to know if there are any C compilers for an apple ][e
(actually I have a Laser) that work fairly well and don't cost a whole lot.

If you have any info, I would appreciate it.

Troy Jacobson
please mail me at troy@garfield.cs.wisc.edu

BEASON@GENESEO.BITNET (Bob Beason) (02/18/91)

I currently use Aztec C.  The version I have is a couple years old, but
it produces programs for either ProDOS or DOS.  They probably have a
newer release the produces GS code.  They have several versions.  If you
want to do simple stuff, they have an Apprentice C version that used to sell
for $25.  Prices go up from there.

Bob Beason
beason@geneseo.bitnet

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (02/18/91)

In article <9102171649.AA01480@apple.com> BEASON@GENESEO.BITNET (Bob Beason) writes:
>I currently use Aztec C.  ...  They probably have a newer release the
>produces GS code.

Not to my knowledge as a long-time owner and Beta tester of Aztec C
(from Manx Software Systems, last known address in Shrewsbury, NJ).
So far as I can tell they continue to market their Apple II versions
but have long since abandoned any idea of updating them.

I would advise that if you're serious about using C on an 8-bit Apple II,
you obtain the ProDOS-based Aztec C Professional kit (includes support
for cross-development for DOS 3.3, shell, utilities, etc.) and install
it all on a hard disk (5MB ProFILE is sufficient).  5.25" floppy use of
this (or probably any similar) product is excessively tedious.