[comp.sys.apple2] RamFAST problems

TS8RBOTW@MIAMIU.BITNET (Radagast) (02/16/91)

I have a RamFAST/SCSI card attached to a Quantum Pro 105 HD on my ROM 03 GS.
Two questions:

1. Every once in a while, the configuration data file turns up missing.  This
happens like once every 4 or 5 boots.  The only thing I do inbetween HD boots
is to go into the Control Panel and change the boot slot from 7 to 5 (when
I want to just run from floppies with the HD off) and back.  And yes, I do let
the HD get up to speed before turning the cpu on.  Sure, it's no problem to
save the configuration data again, but that really shouldn't happen...

2. Why is it that, if I'm using the HD and I want to turn it off, reboot, and
run from floppies, I HAVE to turn the cpu completely off?  It seems to think
that if it doesn't find the HD there, if it waits long enough, the HD will
appear.  This also happens when I'm running from floppies, and I want to use
the HD.. I have to turn off the cpu, or it won't work.  This is a major
inconvenience for me (I'm paranoid about my HD, and prefer leaving it off if
I'm not doing anything disk-intensive.).  Anyway, why does it do this, and
is there a way to get around it?  It seems to me that the RamFAST is a bit
too smart for it's own good... (Oh, and yes, I do have the drive search option
set to "short" and no, OA-Option-Ctrl-Reset doesn't help)

Much appreciated...
      Tim

 _                                   _                              _
[_  Miami University, Oxford, OH:   [_] Columbus, Ohio:             _]
 _] ts8rbotw@miamiu.bitnet          [_] tschmidt@pro-tcc.cts.com   [_
[_  tfschmidt@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu [_] Radagast@bluemoon.uucp      _]
 _] ts8rbotw@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu  [_] tschmidt@pro-mania.cts.com [_

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (02/16/91)

TS8RBOTW@MIAMIU.BITNET (Radagast) writes:

>1. Every once in a while, the configuration data file turns up missing.  This
>happens like once every 4 or 5 boots.  The only thing I do inbetween HD boots
>is to go into the Control Panel and change the boot slot from 7 to 5 (when

Haven't the faintest idea what the problem is. I had mine in slot six for a
while and never had that problem the few times I changed the startup slot to
5. (I kept it at Scan when I wanted the hard drive.) Now I have the RAMFast in
slot 1 and I keep it in Scan all the time.

>2. Why is it that, if I'm using the HD and I want to turn it off, reboot, and
>run from floppies, I HAVE to turn the cpu completely off?

Yes, you do. The RAMfast is a self-contained microcomputer dedicated to
managing the disk and the cache and the DMA interface. It scans the bus when it
is turned on and uses the same list until power goes off. RESET does not clear
the list because it'd be annoying if it had to scan the bus every time you
hit a normal reset (suppose you're debugging or something, and are rebooting
often) -- and there's no clean way to determine ctrl-OA-reset or stuff like
that from the slots.

LEAVE YOUR DRIVE ON. Frequent power ups and downs are in fact more wearing
to the hard drive (and the computer, incidentally, if you have an adequate
cooling system).

If you are really worried about your electric bill the go ahead, but you
are doing your hard drive a disservice by spinning it up and down frequently.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (02/18/91)

In article <1991Feb16.020223.7242@nntp-server.caltech.edu> toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:

>Haven't the faintest idea what the problem is. I had mine in slot six for a
>while and never had that problem the few times I changed the startup slot to
>5. (I kept it at Scan when I wanted the hard drive.) Now I have the RAMFast in
>slot 1 and I keep it in Scan all the time.

Doesn't putting the RAMFast in slot 1 prevent you from using the
printer port? I've tried sticking mine in slot 2 and it doesn't work
unless the control panel slot thingy is set to "Your card", and then
the modem port won't work.

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          | "Slight accidents with funny rays

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (02/18/91)

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:

>Doesn't putting the RAMFast in slot 1 prevent you from using the
>printer port? I've tried sticking mine in slot 2 and it doesn't work
>unless the control panel slot thingy is set to "Your card", and then
>the modem port won't work.

I am currently using my printer port for AppleTalk, so I have slot 1 set
to 'your card' and slot 7 to 'built-in appletalk' (this is a ROM 01).
The your card in slot 1 just so happens to be my ramfast. Slot 2 is set
to modem port although I rarely have a modem connected these days (no phone
this year), and a Zip GS occupies slot 2 (albeit only for power).

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu